Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Modified stock hood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified stock hood?

Has anyone modified the stock formula/firebird hood at the front to help with airflow?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

you want air flow take off the lid you will get better airflow but yea a few people on here have done work to there stock hoods why not just buy one of my raptor hoods that i got up for sale and run to lid
Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Ive been looking at aftermarket hoods. I do like the look of the sleek bleek hood that is on my car. I just wish I could get a little better airflow out of my stocker. I have a K&N FIPK on my car no lid.(its in my sig)
Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

There's one where people trim out the lump in the place where the latch is. It's usually just two rounded holes that go all the way through, and then they put some rubber trim around it to cover up the sharp edge.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WarShrike
There's one where people trim out the lump in the place where the latch is. It's usually just two rounded holes that go all the way through, and then they put some rubber trim around it to cover up the sharp edge.
thats what I was thinking about doing. It shouldnt cause a problem with it losing integrity will it?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

I did it. I cut two holes in front in the shape of the openings with the hood shut. Then I opened up the back side but left the gussetting in palce for structural integrity. When I shine a flashlight through the openings, I see the ribs of my air filter. It's a direct shot of outside air. I used weatherstripping around the back for a sealing effect and placed thick foam underneath the hood brace and over all openings to force air through the inlet.

I made rain blockers out of sheet plastic with velcro for the front openings for when it rains. It's necessary, because water will get into the lower airbox when it's raining hard.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

On my camaro I took the time and cut out the little vents in the hood and smoothed everything out and painted them, it looked nice.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta see pics of that!!!

Quick Reply: Modified stock hood?