Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

GM dealership good at painting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007 | 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Default GM dealership good at painting?

well cars getting a scratch in side of car ans front and rear bumpers painted.
theres a huge chevy GM dealership bu my house i'm going to take it into to. i want a oem quality job where the paint is going to stick not flake and look oem. think they will do a good job?
Old 08-28-2007 | 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

i hate to burst your bubble, but nothings going to oem. anything that gets repainted will never look as good as the factory. the factory paint job is the best one you will ever get on the car. im sure the dealership can get you pretty close to "oem material" but dont expect perfection because no paint job is perfect
Old 08-29-2007 | 01:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
i hate to burst your bubble, but nothings going to oem. anything that gets repainted will never look as good as the factory. the factory paint job is the best one you will ever get on the car. im sure the dealership can get you pretty close to "oem material" but dont expect perfection because no paint job is perfect

I dont agree with this. I have had a couple paint jobs look better than factory and lasted many years. If the car is prepped correctly etc. it can happen.
Old 08-29-2007 | 10:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
Factory paint is far from perfect and hardly the best you will ever get. It's done in a mass production environment with the most cost effective materials possible. A good painter will use good materials and preparation - the results are far superior to anything the factory could ever produce.
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

if you have a really good eye you can also see a lot of imperfections that will come from a body shop. complete paint jobs can usually come out looking the better then factory. then you can sand the car flat with no dirt in it and the paint will look like glass. usually factory paint has texture and when only certain panels are done some shops find it hard matching the texture in the paint to the exsisting panels. but ive seen a brand new z06 with a run in the clear from the factory so i mean no paint job is going to be perfect.
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

I was rear ended, GM fixed everything and repainted from doors back, looked new again
Old 08-30-2007 | 06:13 PM
FormerVendor

Having worked for automobile manufacturers for 10 years, and having restored concourse classics for 18 years, I stand firm on my position The "texture" in factory paint is orange peel. It's not intended - it's a shitty byproduct of a shitty process with shitty materials. The materials for the full repaint on my Camaro were more than $750. Do you think any auto manufacturer on the planet invests that much in materials for a production job? NO
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My previous car was in two accidents the first one i had to have to front bumper and other things replaced. But after the front bumper was replaced and obviously repainted by Bill Heard Chevrolet the paint would just chip off and it looked like sh*t. But yeah like one of the previous person said theres nothing like a factory paint job.
Old 08-31-2007 | 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSMAN66
Having worked for automobile manufacturers for 10 years, and having restored concourse classics for 18 years, I stand firm on my position The "texture" in factory paint is orange peel.

HAHAHA!!! I concur!! After seeing the paint gm used on some third gens (water based) I don't know how you could think the factory is capable of painting cars. That's paint that will fall off, lol. Anyways, factory paint jobs are all gross and orange peely
Old 08-31-2007 | 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

My brother got rear ended and the dealership did a terrible job. Unfortunately we had to push to get the head shop guy fired he was so bad. IMO nothing a dealership does is good.
Old 08-31-2007 | 08:28 PM
On The Tree

i had my sail panel painted at the dealership and it came out close to factory-but not perfect
Old 08-31-2007 | 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Factory paint is best? cough ahah NO..... may look good but when my car was on a lift and looking up at it... I can see a crap load of orange peel in the paint.... Im taking mine to a custom paint shop..... shopped around and they dont do collison crap... strictly paint... so you know there good at what there doing... the guy does like dragsters and crap... i wouldnt go to gm... not worth the bucks... Im telling you just check some places out... ide say stand clear of collision/ppaint places... go more for someone who does custom paint... They know what to do.... (No offense to any one hows gone to collison/paint place... but IMO i just dont think they put out as good of quality either)
Old 08-31-2007 | 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with the last guy. I would avoid any shops that do collision work. Find a local painter or custom shop. They tend to do higher quality work and use better materials. Plus, they will probably give a **** unlike a stealership or collision center.

Hit up a performance shop in your area and ask for recommendations on painters. There should be at least one person at a performance shop that knows a good custom painter.
Old 09-01-2007 | 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Custom Paint all the way....! im getting my car repainted in a week or so.... Last guy that did the hood and nose was a collision/paint shop and i was unhappy with it....
Old 09-02-2007 | 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 87formy
HAHAHA!!! I concur!! After seeing the paint gm used on some third gens (water based) I don't know how you could think the factory is capable of painting cars. That's paint that will fall off, lol. Anyways, factory paint jobs are all gross and orange peely
Don't blame GM, everything in the '80's was ****, motors, cars, hairstyles, clothing...
Old 09-02-2007 | 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hc8719
Don't blame GM, everything in the '80's was ****, motors, cars, hairstyles, clothing...

I have to agree with that one.

If you really wanted to have it done by a dealership, you could buy some better materials and then have them do the rest if you think they will do the prepping and painting thoroughly and correctly.
Old 09-02-2007 | 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
I was rear ended, GM fixed everything and repainted from doors back, looked new again
Nice name Demitri. Are you serious?