Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Arctic White color match - easy or hard???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic White color match - easy or hard???

I am going to replace my front fender and front bumper cover this Winter due to a little crash I had this past Spring. I am going to buy new eBay parts. I believe they come primered. I am planning on taking the parts to Maaco to have them painted. Do you think that they will be able to match the original arctic white color pretty closely? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Uhmm... if i where you... i would take it to an actual paint shop... i think the work would be alot better... if yer only doing fenders and a bumper... it cant cost to much.... and why exactly r u going to buy new ones?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevrolet02z28
Uhmm... if i where you... i would take it to an actual paint shop... i think the work would be alot better... if yer only doing fenders and a bumper... it cant cost to much.... and why exactly r u going to buy new ones?
I will check out quotes from other shops, but I have read some good reviews of Maaco.

Also I am buying new eBay parts because they look to be pretty inexpensive and mine are cracked up from hitting a pole.

Any idea on how hard it is to match arctic white? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

people who think maaco's paint work is good obviously dont know what they are talken about... iv seen numerious cars in person painted by maaco that were jsut horrible.... if you dont want to blend it (witch would almost gaurountee a perfect match) they are going to have to have the car there to tint the white to match it perfectly and this takes proably time and a half now becuase u have to keep adding drops of cirtain colors to get it right... chances are they are not going to take the time to tint the paint and just paint them to the regular mix and a perfect match might not be there... more times than not it wont match without tinting.... if this car is your baby i would take it to a real shop and have them blend it out.... but if you do just panel paint the peices make sure you tell them you want it to match perfectly stress on that because alot of shops will just low ball the price and spray some artic white on it and be done.... takes 2 hours tops to paint and clear those parts with out tinting the color to perfect... hope this helps you... good luck... post pics when your done...
Old 09-25-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't it be better to save a little money and do it right the first time? If you have to half *** it, then i've seen some white body panels for sale here in the parts section that'd be a better choice than a paint job by them.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cpd004
Wouldn't it be better to save a little money and do it right the first time? If you have to half *** it, then i've seen some white body panels for sale here in the parts section that'd be a better choice than a paint job by them.
Hahaa im one of the ones who always learn the hard way... Dude honestly dony half ***.... take it to a maaco i dont care who u are u will be disapointed and even if it looks good... the finish wont last... hell they charge liek 500 bucks to do a whole damn car.. i payed almost double that for paint supplies alone to redo my car... so what does that tell you? they use cheap materials
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

The other thing you gotta watch out for is those ebay bumper covers... don't be surprised if it doesn't fit right and/or doesn't line up right. Fit it before you get it painted.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

I have decided not to go to Maaco after your replies and reading so many complaints about them at www.my3cents.com - thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah.. ive heard to many horror stories with maaco.... just looking out for a fellow f-body fan.... heres what i would do... leave it... and have them spray those panels... you can sand the road rash and crap down.... u dont need to spend the money on new panels... besides then u need to get inside and outside painted.. so its either leave it and paint them.... or buy new panels spray the outside.. and spray the inside... cheaper to leave it and just have them sand them down n spray
Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Check out car-part.com and see if you can find white parts close to your area. I paint my own stuff and would blend it for the piece of mind knowing it matches. I'm sure you have some rock chips in the hood you could fix along the way.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I stongly suggest you don't buy any of those ebay parts. They fit like total ****. I bought a front bumper cover and two fenders and they fit like ***. I gave them away and bought some used ones.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not paint expert... and I'll will admit I don't know what my body shop did... but a few years ago I had a dog run into the side of my Artic White Formula and cracked the door panel.

I do know.... they only painted the door... it matched perfectly.

Maybe I just got lucky..... car is a garage baby anyway.

Best of luck.... but as others have said... I would stay away from Macco.

Only cars I would take to Macco would be daily beater cars that I just wanted to put a cheap spary job on.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

You should get it down at a shop. By someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:50 PM

Another NO with caps and bold for Maaco.
Bought a 66 Mustang a few years back. The prior owner had a brand new 3,000 dollar paint job from Maaco, saw the receipts and everything. I made the mistake of trusting a name like Maaco and the 3k price tag the lady paid. Within 6 months the paint bubbled in spots all over the car. Yay for me.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

It should not be too hard to get a decent match without blending, as long as the person knows what they are doing. I had my bumpers repainted because the previous owner had them repainted and they didn't match very good. Blending the paint onto the adjacent panels is really the only way to get a 100% match with the old paint, but you can get pretty close with out blending.

Quick Reply: Arctic White color match - easy or hard???