Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

?'s about fillling in rivet holes on rocker panel and prepping for paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ?'s about fillling in rivet holes on rocker panel and prepping for paint

just like the title says. i removed my body kit, and theres holes in the front bumper, side skirts, and rear bumper cover from the hangers that were rivetted there to hold the kit in place.

first question...the holes for the rivets are about an 1/8th inch wide, do i need to weld these shut on the rocker panels, or can i use bondo to fill them in and it hold fine? also....what type of filler/bonda should i use, anything specific (i wanna stick to advance, oreilleys, those type places so just soemthin i can pick up at any parts store)? on the rocker panels, there are dents from where the rivets were put in real tight....build this up with bondo too?

second qustion...what should i fill the holes in the front bumper and rear bumper with? fliberglass filler? bondo?

im new to this and want to do everything myself, im gonna repaint these places with a single stage paint bc it doesnt hafta be perfect, just loook good from 5-10 feet away. thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it were me i would have the holes on the rockers welded, grinded and then bondo and dont for get a good etch primer and a high build primer. takes alittle more time but it will be right and you should have to worry about it again.

as for the bumbers i would take them off grind the area around the holes and try to sand inside the holes as best as you can, then use a 2 part epoxy to fill let dry sand again then use a light body filler, primer and paint and your good to go.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

well it doesnt hafta be perfect, i just want it to look good from 5 feet away. i prob will weld them in, but why would i hafta ake the bumpers off? you can easily access the inside of theholes with them on the car.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the rocker...they're so small you can fill them. Use dura-glass or Fiber-tech for the initial fill, then skim them with a little high quality body filler. (not Bondo brand)

For the urethane bumpers, you'll need a flexible filler. Your body shop supply store can help you out with htis.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

thanks man....thats the news i was wanting to hear, didnt wanna add metal unless i had to.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use alot of Fibra-All at work and it seems to work well with things like this.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

can this be picked up at a local parts store or does it have to be ordered?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Local auto body supply store.. look it up in the book.

Quick Reply: ?'s about fillling in rivet holes on rocker panel and prepping for paint