Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

F-Body rocker panel replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F-Body rocker panel replacement.

Hey Guys and Gals...

OK..anybody been down this road before? How hard is it? And can I cut one off a junk car and re-use it or do I need to buy a new one?

Its the driver side and its pretty much fubared. Pushed in about a good 3 inches or so.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump..anyone?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

also curious about this. My factory jack fell while I was jacking it and the damn thing dented the rocker panel pretty good, creasing the sheetmetal so bad it cut a couple holes in it.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Default rocker r/r

hi some one has had to do this ?????????
Old 02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

im sure changing a rocker panel on these cars are a total PITA. ive done one on a 68 chevelle and that was a drag
Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol...I see threads about what air freshener to buy get at least 30 replies,but for some reason real questions get nothing.

And don't throw search on me,because I have searched.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Teching In

putting rockers on f-bodys is a pain in the *** if it's crushed any body man worth a crap could weld tabs to it and pull it out so it can be repaired
Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro52R
lol...I see threads about what air freshener to buy get at least 30 replies,but for some reason real questions get nothing.

And don't throw search on me,because I have searched.

sorry but this is kind of a stupid question. you can just look at the rocker and tell its a total pain in the *** to take off and put on a new one one. you have to make sure its 100% straight ( if its not straight you will have bad allignment on your door and fender and quarter) and you need to know how to weld. this probably didnt get many replys because alot of people dont know how to do it, and you sound like you dont know what your doing by asking if its hard. to answer your question, yes it is hard
Old 02-19-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28SS
sorry but this is kind of a stupid question. you can just look at the rocker and tell its a total pain in the *** to take off and put on a new one one. you have to make sure its 100% straight ( if its not straight you will have bad allignment on your door and fender and quarter) and you need to know how to weld. this probably didnt get many replys because alot of people dont know how to do it, and you sound like you dont know what your doing by asking if its hard. to answer your question, yes it is hard
Ahh true true...

I was more so wondering if its just a skin? Wasn't sure if there was any structure to it. Was goin to do it myself.

Kinda curious if I could cut one off another car and use that, or just buy a new one.

Also I guess I just drill the welds and do some yanking?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahh true true...

I was more so wondering if its just a skin? Wasn't sure if there was any structure to it. Was goin to do it myself.

Kinda curious if I could cut one off another car and use that, or just buy a new one.

defanitaly new. i would bother with a used (probably bent lil twisted from the old car. prolly air chisel the welds off. its alot of work
Old 02-20-2008, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

not to hijack the thread but I just have a dent in about 4" wide that goes from top to bottom of the panel... could I just cut that out, get some new sheetmetal and fit it myself? I know it would be a pain to get the right curve but I'm not worried about that... just worried about any issues with structure rigidity.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

if it is a mellow dent I would pull it and fill it. That would be alot easier than cutting and replacing just a small section.

As for replacing the rocker I would think you could get just a skin. Then use a spot weld drill bit to drill out the welds.

If this is your first time doing body work be prepared for ALOT of problems you did not expect to happen. Replacing a rocker is not just riping it off and slaping a new one on.

Last edited by turbozcamaro; 02-20-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Ahh true true...

yes you can buy it as a skin its still a pain in the *** and would be easier to repair (providing you have the skill and tools) but a used piece even if its not damaged will be mangled up buy the time you get it apart that you would have been better off fixing it.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
not to hijack the thread but I just have a dent in about 4" wide that goes from top to bottom of the panel... could I just cut that out, get some new sheetmetal and fit it myself? I know it would be a pain to get the right curve but I'm not worried about that... just worried about any issues with structure rigidity.
I understand that most of you guys don't know how to do body work but cutting apart a car to fix a dent is a lot more involved if done correctly than repairing it. You will also do less damage to it trying to repair it if you decide to take it to someone that knows what they are doing in the event you give up.

Quick Reply: F-Body rocker panel replacement.