Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Important repair information for sail panel paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Can't repaint have to replace. Tried sanding and the oil or resin ? just keeps coming out as you sand . Weird part is that the back side was dry as power when we took it off.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

His e-bay seller name was ( schaefer78 ) . Hope this helps .I'll look for ph# tonight . I think its a store / junkyard ?
Old 04-23-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01TransAmChick
in the GM dealership computer systems, this is listed as a recall. Its quite a common issue with 4th gens.
While it is quite common, it is definitely not listed in the GM computers as a recall. I went through every level of customer service from the 18 year old at the service counter, the GM reps from India, to the district representative and was told by everyone along the way that this was a TSB, not a recall.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nauty99SS
Can't repaint have to replace. Tried sanding and the oil or resin ? just keeps coming out as you sand . Weird part is that the back side was dry as power when we took it off.
Interesting. It seems that no one really knows the problem. The GM body shop that repaired mine thought the problem had to do with the top developing cracks. But your situation does not seem to suggest that.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

mine just got looked at by the dealer yesterday, and i'm awaiting GM to call me back abut the situatin.

Loyolacub68, thanks for posting up your case numbers, now i can have some leverage when GM tries to say no. I'll just refer them to your case, and say....."I want what he got"

Thanks man!

PS: did you go to Loyola High in Los Angeles?

Last edited by Sommer86; 04-23-2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-23-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sommer86
mine just got looked at by the dealer yesterday, and i'm awaiting GM to call me back abut the situatin.

Loyolacub68, thanks for posting up your case numbers, now i can have some leverage when GM tries to say no. I'll just refer them to your case, and say....."I want what he got"

Thanks man!

PS: did you go to Loyola High in Los Angeles?
I have my actual GM case numbers.

71-574403754 - this one may be the most recent one where my problem was actually fixed

71-563634394 - this one might be an older one from when I was first trying to have the problem taken care of

And yes, I did go to Loyola High in LA, class of '01.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

right on, thanks for the info.

Did you know Joe Prado?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sommer86
right on, thanks for the info.

Did you know Joe Prado?
Name sounds familiar, he might have been a year below me. I think I knew that name from the football team.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just noticed I started to get bubles on my sail panel. My car is just out of warranty it was supposidly up in january. I have contacted GM about this and they said I have to have it diagnosed first (Could cost me money if it isnt a factory defect to diagnose) How do you think I should proceed?
Old 05-16-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Patsy57
So I just noticed I started to get bubles on my sail panel. My car is just out of warranty it was supposidly up in january. I have contacted GM about this and they said I have to have it diagnosed first (Could cost me money if it isnt a factory defect to diagnose) How do you think I should proceed?
You can just start going through the process. The worst they can do is deny you. You might get lucky though. It did not cost me anything to get the problem diagnosed.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always heard the issue is with the glue, not the panel itself. This is why mainly 99-02 cars are effected, and you rarely hear about it on the 93-98 cars.

My 98 florida WS6 is not effected, but it was built feb/98

Ryan
Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow
I have always heard the issue is with the glue, not the panel itself. This is why mainly 99-02 cars are effected, and you rarely hear about it on the 93-98 cars.

My 98 florida WS6 is not effected, but it was built feb/98

Ryan
I have heard that. But I was also told by two different service managers that it was the roof itself. Although if it is in any way related to the Corvette problem of the tops flying off at high speed it would almost have to be a glue problem since I believe bad epoxy was causing that problem.

GM needs some more R&D in epoxy technology.....
Old 05-17-2008, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

I'm taking mine in monday to have it looked at, and I'm just over the 100,000 mile mark.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Launching!

This sucks I have '00 SS and mine looks like total *****. I'm a painter at a GMC, Cadillac, Buick dealership and my Mgr. has a really good relationship with our warranty rep. and and he basically said I was screwed.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DJ's 02' Z28
I'm taking mine in monday to have it looked at, and I'm just over the 100,000 mile mark.
Just to let you know GM will do what's called a "One time good will warranty", if lets say you are just a little over a mileage and such. So don't let them send you on your merry way.

Last edited by cvalliere; 05-17-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: needed to add
Old 05-18-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Too bad enough people can not get together and file a class action, that would get GM off their asses since this is obviously a factory defect.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
I have heard that. But I was also told by two different service managers that it was the roof itself. Although if it is in any way related to the Corvette problem of the tops flying off at high speed it would almost have to be a glue problem since I believe bad epoxy was causing that problem.

GM needs some more R&D in epoxy technology.....

They don't use an epoxy to glue them on. I've seen them replaced since I'm a painter at a GM dealership. they are held on with winshield urathene... that's right the same stuff that holds your winshield in. It deff. has nothing to do with the "glue" that holds them on. A friend of mine had his replaced on his '00 SS like 4-5yrs. ago at dealership I worked at. I inspected it and it appears that the layers of SMC (the compound it's made out of) were separating. and with it heating up in the sun then cooling off at night it develops condensation in between the layers and that is what forms the bubbles and that is the stuff that oozes out.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Too bad enough people can not get together and file a class action, that would get GM off their asses since this is obviously a factory defect.

Maybe what we could do is start up a petition type of tread. Where everyone like signs their name, Make and Model and mileage of their car. And mabe post a link to this page on other sites. Then maybe we could get a better idea of exactally how many people are out there that have this problem and how many people GM has turned away. Then maybe if we can get enough people and an attorney could be contacted and see if he has the intrest to persue a class action lawsuit. Now obviously not every F-Body owner is hanging out on places like this, so then an attorney could send out flyers to ALL owners stating that their is attempt to form a class action lawsuit against GM for this problem.

Now given I work at a Gm dealership and I am a painter at my cost I'd still be looking at around $500 to have this replaced. And that is me getting the paint for free.

But it's just a thought.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cvalliere
They don't use an epoxy to glue them on. I've seen them replaced since I'm a painter at a GM dealership. they are held on with winshield urathene... that's right the same stuff that holds your winshield in. It deff. has nothing to do with the "glue" that holds them on. A friend of mine had his replaced on his '00 SS like 4-5yrs. ago at dealership I worked at. I inspected it and it appears that the layers of SMC (the compound it's made out of) were separating. and with it heating up in the sun then cooling off at night it develops condensation in between the layers and that is what forms the bubbles and that is the stuff that oozes out.
Ya, that's why the bubbles follow the exact same pattern as the glue.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure GM offered everyone extended warranties that would cover the paint longer, I know they tried hard as hell to sell it to me. If you opted not to get it, why would you sue them?

Quick Reply: Important repair information for sail panel paint issues