Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

A couple of paint chips, opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A couple of paint chips, opinions needed

So a week after I get the car, some moron hits me while I was parked, didnt leave a note or anything. The rear bumper looks like it was probably bondo'd before, I actually found some tin foil in there that they probably used to plug up a hole. Now im not so good with body work but how much do you think it will run to have this fixed? Or should I just get a new bumper cover? Same thing for the front, the paint chips like crazy for some reason, almost like it wasnt sealed right. Heres a few pics:

And I dont know if this is a common problem or not but the TA filler emblem is scratched a bit, it doesnt look too deep are there any easy fixes for this?

Thanks for looking let me know what you guys think
Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've always seen this kind of thing happen to T/A's more than I have the Camaro's, Not sure why. It seems to be happening to the majority of your car though, I would look into having a complete quality repaint done. (Assuming you love your car). I'm curious to know what year it is?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that is really rough. I own a bodyshop in MS. The only way to make your paint last , is to have every bit of the paint and primer ,that the last shop put on their ,has to come off. Youcan fix those spots paint is chipping but it will still chip after that also. See paint is as only good as what it is bonding to. If you put new paint over paint that is already not bonded good and chipping then it will still chip when that paint turns loose. Make sense? The rear cover does have some filler in it. Your area and shops are different but just fixing the rear cover you would be looking at prolly 400 - 500 dollars almost as cheap to buy a new cover and have it put on. Trying to work plastic like that and warranty it doesnt work out. If the bumper ever has to flex then most likely your spot will crack back out. I would replace the rear cover and find a shop that would sand all material off the front cover or replace it too. Either way make sure they give you a warranty. I dont do anything I cant warranty. There should be plenty of shops that will stand behind thier work.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a 99, I out some pics up in the welcome section, and yes i definitely love my car. The rest of the paint on the car looks like it set pretty well, its just the bumpers. You really think I need to repaint the entire car?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Well look at it this way- the paint job is almost 10 years old and with the way GM made these cars, odds are you would've needed a new coat in a few years anyways. I'd get a paint job if I were you just to get it out of the way.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I guess your right. I really like the NBM though so I would keep the same color how much should I expect to pay for a decent paint job? Anyone in LA got an suggestions? Also any tips for the rear TA filler?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

If you go with like Maaco or some franchise probably around the 1k area.

Filler panel- buy a new decal, on the install sheet it shows how to clean it up and that alone takes out a lot of the scratches.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Teching In

That doesnt look like factory paint and no not paint the entire car just bumpers. Doesnt matter if it looks like around it its fine well I can tell you those wont be the last spots to chip. It looks like whoever sprayed it didnt put enough material on as in base and mainly clear.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

I would not paint the whole car. factory paint is always my favorite. Only paint what is needed.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Teching In

That TA emblem can be touched up it looks like