Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

look alike t-tops for when the t-tops are off the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default look alike t-tops for when the t-tops are off the car

has anyone tried to make some type of lightweight material type t-tops that you can put on where its not really a t-top but its just there so you can leave your car and not worry about someone spilling or throw crap through the top.

Sorry if im not explaning correctly. But say you take off your t-tops. You park your car and leave it unattended. Someone can throw something inside the car. But what if you were to make something as light as a carboard, that you can place where the t-tops go, but you can remove with in seconds an put in the back seat and no fear of them breaking. Anyone make somthing like this?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Launching!

If someone wants to throw something in your car, they'll find a way to throw something in your car. Stop pissing people off, I guess.

Leaving your car w/ t-tops off is a bad idea anyways
Old 04-06-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
If someone wants to throw something in your car, they'll find a way to throw something in your car. Stop pissing people off, I guess.

Leaving your car w/ t-tops off is a bad idea anyways
Im doing no harm, just worry about leaving my car without the t-tops. And some times i make short errand runs and i want to drive with the t-tops off but it would take more time to take off then put on the t-tops then go where i have to go.

I think someone can make somthing durable enough that you'd be able to just remove and put in the back seat and not worry about damaging them.

I have the slp loudmouth exhaust and it sounds baddass when i take off the t-tops.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I should add that the t-tops would look the color of the car paint as to look like it belongs there.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I don't believe anyone makes anything like that. Would be cool to have some light weight fiberglassed pieces that are body colored, though
Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Banned

yeah there have been plenty of cars that have caught on fire from people throwin cigarettes in open windows/t-tops i have to close mine up anytime i park on the street or in public. even if im jus gone for a sec
Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Whenever I park with T-tops off, I make sure my car is in sight and check it often. Sometimes I roll my windows up, which suprisingly looks like they're on until you get close. Otherwise just take the minute or so to put them back on.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Lets see...something LIKE t-tops that is lightweight and can be removed in seconds.

Sounds like t-tops.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeremy02
Lets see...something LIKE t-tops that is lightweight and can be removed in seconds.

Sounds like t-tops.
removed in a few minutes then put back and locked in another few minutes, total time, a hassle for a short run to get a burger or to the store

the t-top-look-alike, would weigh nowhere near the t-top weight, and wouldn't be made out of glass and can take some abuse, throw them in the back seat not worry about stomping on the gas pedal afraid that the t-top glass are going to break or get scratched cause there in the back seat instead of the hatch area

just imagine the prototype being a piece of cardboard fitting over the t-top area but painted to match the paint with the outer side made of fiberglass, its purpose is ease of removal and not to draw attention that the top of the car is open
Old 04-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremy02
Lets see...something LIKE t-tops that is lightweight and can be removed in seconds. Sounds like t-tops.
I have to confess that I also don't get it ... you can get your t-tops on or off in less than a minute.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98boxer
has anyone tried to make some type of lightweight material type t-tops that you can put on where its not really a t-top but its just there so you can leave your car and not worry about someone spilling or throw crap through the top.

Sorry if im not explaning correctly. But say you take off your t-tops. You park your car and leave it unattended. Someone can throw something inside the car. But what if you were to make something as light as a carboard, that you can place where the t-tops go, but you can remove with in seconds an put in the back seat and no fear of them breaking. Anyone make somthing like this?
Do you not have room in the rear of your trunk for your T Tops?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Well, this is stupid as far as replacing a T-top with a t-top. But I am interested in lightweight Lexan T-tops. But other than that, this thread is just Dee Duh Dee.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by jessedale98
Well, this is stupid as far as replacing a T-top with a t-top. But I am interested in lightweight Lexan T-tops. But other than that, this thread is just Dee Duh Dee.
They (GM) already tried this in 1989 (Lexan T-tops). It scratched too easy, and they went back to glass.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
They (GM) already tried this in 1989 (Lexan T-tops). It scratched too easy, and they went back to glass.
True statement.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Is there a picture or article I can see/read.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by barnat
Do you not have room in the rear of your trunk for your T Tops?
I have a woofer/box in my t-top area. But more then that im just worried when i leave my t-tops off for a second and removing the t-tops for short trips just aint worth removing. Just something i thought about and brought it up to see what other thought or if someone already did this to go by there results or a step by step.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

I just take mine out and set them in the back seat if I am just going for a short trip
Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i do the same thing green does.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

if u put the windows up and set the alarm no one can really **** with it unless they carefully climb up the hatch or windshield
Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always roll my windows up if im not in direct eye sight of my car. But if your worried about someone throwing crap in your car, then put your tops back on, or just dont take them off at all until your done with your arrands. If your just running to Taco Bell and dont trust the peopel outside, then leave your tops on.