PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

True or False: Missfires cause the converter to stay unlocked.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default True or False: Missfires cause the converter to stay unlocked.

True or false?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True. You'll need to raise the parameters for the misfire detection DTC (or disable it completely) to get the converter to lock.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryansm1
True. You'll need to raise the parameters for the misfire detection DTC (or disable it completely) to get the converter to lock.
True, but, most of the time what is actually causing that problem in a modded engine isn't actually real misfires, it's just variation in crankshaft rotational speed. It's interpreted by the computer as misfires. As stated, tweaking the misfire tables cures it.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Misfires will inhibit lockup but that would tend to come and go
with load, speed etc. Unlocked always, is either a really
persistent misfire or a slip code. You can see whether misfires
are responsible, with the scan tool. TCC_Mode will show a
-3- (HPTuners) if it "woulda, but".
Old 11-25-2008, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

is this problem only on vehicles with crank positioning sensors? could an LT1 have a problem like this?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by C_Rules
is this problem only on vehicles with crank positioning sensors? could an LT1 have a problem like this?
I would imagine it could happen with a 96/97 LT1, although I've never witnessed it.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tblu92
YES--misfires will un-lock the TCC--

On stall converter applications most often the misfires are false--I always max out the misfire tables in the diagnostics section and it will prevent them from reporting
I don't agree with maxing them. You're turning off that diagnostic capability completely.
Most of the time just multiplying them by 5 does the trick. It still has the ability to detect misfires, but is desensitized enough to not recognize the increased variances.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

My tuner used HPTuners to tune my car. Ran perfectly for a couple weeks. (Probably 2-3 startups total during this time.) Then during a short 85 mile trip it just stopped locking half way through the trip. I got the slipping code P1870. Never locked since. On the day i was putting it away for winter storage it died a few times at the lights. Which i have never had happen before.

What do you guys think? Get my tune looked at in the spring?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you think you need to multiply the numbers by 5? i have a TR224 cam and i was told to multiply the numbers by 2 or 3. i have no idea. i just want the misfire codes to still work if need be but they definatly can't be as sensitive.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True.

It is a "limp mode" function.

It is used to reduce the load on the engine in the event that misfire is too excessive. It is not a very effective way of diagnosing a problem, but it does help reduce misfire.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cals400ex
do you think you need to multiply the numbers by 5? i have a TR224 cam and i was told to multiply the numbers by 2 or 3. i have no idea. i just want the misfire codes to still work if need be but they definatly can't be as sensitive.
A cam that mild could probably just by multiplied by 3. You can always start low, and if it doesn't work, bump it up again.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All OBD2 cars GM and trucks inhibit TCC lockup with misfires.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 AM
Banned

I got a question for thought for yall.....

Does a balanced engine give yall the fits with misfire codes, or just stock engines?

The reason I ask, I have 2 cars here that I've tuned, with no problems. 1 engine I put together, which I had the machine shop balance the rotating assembly. 1 engine, another machinist put together, and it was balanced also. Neither of these cars gave me any trouble with misfires, both have cam, heads, stall converters, the works.

Now I have a car with heads, cam, and stall, but stock bottom end, and it has issues with misfires. I'm showing ever cylinder is misfiring consistanly at idle, and misfires intermintently at mid rpms loaded. I'm about to decrease the diagnostic sensitivity of the misfire to cure the problem on this car, but this was just a thought. There's some people out there that have a lot more experience with this than I, just wondering if yall have seen the same thing or paid it any attention.

dm
Old 12-05-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every engine needs to be balanced, otherwise it will fail very soon after start up.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Every engine needs to be balanced, otherwise it will fail very soon after start up.
yep, this happened to a friend of mine
Old 12-05-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
My tuner used HPTuners to tune my car. Ran perfectly for a couple weeks. (Probably 2-3 startups total during this time.) Then during a short 85 mile trip it just stopped locking half way through the trip. I got the slipping code P1870. Never locked since. On the day i was putting it away for winter storage it died a few times at the lights. Which i have never had happen before.

What do you guys think? Get my tune looked at in the spring?
No one really answered my question, kinda why i started the thread.

A few guys have said missfires create intermittent lock up, but mine isn't locking at all. I only drove it like 3x on short trips but it never locked.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
No one really answered my question, kinda why i started the thread.

A few guys have said missfires create intermittent lock up, but mine isn't locking at all. I only drove it like 3x on short trips but it never locked.
Misfire detection will trigger intermittent lock-up when your misfires are detected intermittently. If they are detected consistently, you will not lock up consistently.

I swapped cams and consistently showed P0300, so my converter never locked up. I raised misfire detection to over 1500rpm and my problem went away.

You need to scan the car and first determine if you are actually registering misfires. If you aren't detecting enough misfires to trigger the protection routine, your problem is elsewhere.

Quick Reply: True or False: Missfires cause the converter to stay unlocked.