Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May be a dumb question -- EFI Live vs. LS1Edit

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default May be a dumb question -- EFI Live vs. LS1Edit

Here's the skinny. My vette was tuned about 2 years ago with EFI Live. Due to a relocation, having the same tuner do a new tune is out of the question. The tuner of choice at this point for me uses LS1 Edit.

Is there anything specific that needs to be done for him to do the tune?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

There won`t be a problem if you are not running a custom OS with EFILive.

EFILive is head and shoulders a better tuning tool than LS1 Edit so,
you might want to find someone who uses a more "up to date" tuning suite than LS1 Edit.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like said above... no "tuner of choice" should be using LS1 Edit...
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use edit its not terrible but u have more parameters in hptunners or efi live...edit is good to learn on though if that helps
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Said tuner is Ed Wright. I think I'll trust what he does. BAck to the topic at hand......How can I figure out if we're going to run into problems and I make a needless trip to Tulsa. I spoke with Slowhawk via pm's, who originally tuned my car, but couldn't wrangle the answer out of him for some reason (which is a little irritating actually).

*Edit* I want to clear something up. I am in no way badmouthing Don (Slowhawk). I have been 100% satisfied with his tune in my car. I was simply saying that I was a little irritated that I couldn't get my question as to if he locked the PCM or not answered, as it's something I NEED to know before I make the trip to Ed for my new tune.

Last edited by Fastbird93; 02-09-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Teching In

I have efi live and there would be no way of knowing if it is locked or not without hooking it up to efi live or another programer. More than likely ed wright will be able to tell you if he can burn over the other tune and clear it. I would call him first. I've seen his work and I don't care what he tunes with he is very good at what he does. There was a 98 chevrolet with 350 vortec and a 150 shot running 10.3's in the 1000ft from here and he was the one that programed the truck without even seeing it. Could have made a lot more power with the truck in his hands.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Like said above... no "tuner of choice" should be using LS1 Edit...
There is absolutely nothing wrong with edit if it's the package you already own.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gillbot
There is absolutely nothing wrong with edit if it's the package you already own.

That's like saying there is nothing wrong with a Pentium 386 if you already have one...
Old 02-10-2009, 06:35 AM
11 Second Club

That's like saying there is nothing wrong with a Pentium 386 if you already have one...
Believe whatever you want. Misinformation and ignorance is bliss here on the internet. My car runs fine and so have many others that have been tuned with edit. Your comparison has no basis in reality.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:47 AM
9 Second Club

Believe whatever you want. Misinformation and ignorance is bliss here on the internet. My car runs fine and so have many others that have been tuned with edit. Your comparison has no basis in reality.
Not true at all - I have tuned hundreds of cars and used LS1 Edit for a couple years before the newer software packages came out... so I think that I have alot more basis for my statements than you do. While LS1 Edit may be used to tune, it holds no comparison to the ability of the newer software packages to tune cars with major modifications to an incredible degree of driveability. Personally, I want to give the customer the best product he can get and that means using the tools that can do it. It's about alot more than throwing a car on a dyno and tuning it for WOT power and calling it tuned...

And just to give you an idea of how strongly I feel about that - when I started using EFILive, I called every customer that I had tuned prior and told them to come back and I would retune their car for free with the new software... that's how much better the product I could give them is...

Last edited by BLK02WS6; 02-10-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Not true at all - I have tuned hundreds of cars and used LS1 Edit for a couple years before the newer software packages came out... so I think that I have alot more basis for my statements than you do. While LS1 Edit may be used to tune, it holds no comparison to the ability of the newer software packages to tune cars with major modifications to an incredible degree of driveability. Personally, I want to give the customer the best product he can get and that means using the tools that can do it. It's about alot more than throwing a car on a dyno and tuning it for WOT power and calling it tuned...

And just to give you an idea of how strongly I feel about that - when I started using EFILive, I called every customer that I had tuned prior and told them to come back and I would retune their car for free with the new software... that's how much better the product I could give them is...
Sorry, but you have no idea how many cars i've tuned either.

My point stands, for the average JOE, there is NO REASON to dump LS1Edit and spend hundreds on a new package when Edit will work just fine.

Yes, the newer packages are better but edit works fine and in a good tuners hands, it will do everything needed.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, but you have no idea how many cars i've tuned either.

My point stands, for the average JOE, there is NO REASON to dump LS1Edit and spend hundreds on a new package when Edit will work just fine.

Yes, the newer packages are better but edit works fine and in a good tuners hands, it will do everything needed.
Agreed, I also use Edit, why? because back in the day that was the ONLY software available for LT1 & LS1's, the total package was app $10,000. I'm sure Live may have additional parameters to help in tuning but is the degree of accuracy worthy for me to dump it to spend another 5 to $10,000 to purchase Live, No. People always say you should get this or that but they are not the ones shelling out the cash, Now if someone wanted to trade me straight up for unlimited versions for 94-2002's sure, would someone do it, of course not. I have used Live breifly at some shops that did not know how to tune, I really did not get into depth to see how much better it was than edit. I know my tunes have been done from mild street to all out pro cars with no problems..
Old 02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

I have used HP Tuners, Edit and EFI Live. They ALL work and IMHO, a "tuner of choice" should be able to tune with anything. If you know how to tune properly, the software should be irrelevant.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Back to the situation at hand, will my car be able to be tuned with edit if it was tuned with EFI Live prior???
Old 02-10-2009, 11:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There won`t be a problem if you are not running a custom OS with EFILive.
That about sums it up.