PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Both Knock Sensors & Wire - STILL Codes Are Set!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Replaced Both Knock Sensors & Wire - STILL Codes Are Set!!

WTF??? What do I do next? I suppose someone is gonna tell me now that I need a new PCM . . . funny these codes didn't get set until I got LS1-Edit programming!!

Somebody else has had this happen to them surely . . . what did you do? I can't go running around in an FI car with no knock sensors!!

- Dug
Old 11-06-2003, 06:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouls suspect too much timing or engine contact to body giving false knock.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:00 AM
7 Second Club

Received 329 Likes on 220 Posts

Only problem being the second the car fires up and gets into closed loop, it sets the codes immediately. This has happened on a few others cars that I have personally seen, and a few on the net. It does seem related to LS1edit somehow, but I don't see how doing minor changes with LS1edit causes this. But the only thing in common between all the cars that throw these codes seems to be after they use LS1edit. I brought this up over a year ago as a possible error in LS1edit.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Slowhawk . . . it's not false knock. It's the codes set that say my sensors are toast. So when I go WOT, it automatically pulls 4 degrees no matter what. I either get 0 or 4, nothing in between.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

what codes are they specifically?

there is a way to test the knock sensors.. however i have forgotten. but can be done with a multi meter.

if it didnt happen until you edited the car, put it back to stock and see if it goes away.

i have had two rear knock sensors go bad on my 98.. this last time i made sure they were sealed from water.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
what codes are they specifically?

there is a way to test the knock sensors.. however i have forgotten. but can be done with a multi meter.

if it didnt happen until you edited the car, put it back to stock and see if it goes away.

i have had two rear knock sensors go bad on my 98.. this last time i made sure they were sealed from water.
MM, I don't have the codes right in front of me . . . but I believe they are the low sensor input or voltage or something to that effect . . . and yes, they can be tested with a multimeter, and yes, we tested them and the voltage was increasing when I rapped on the heads. So they ARE working. The PCM thinks they're not. I can't really go back to stock because I have 42lb injectors, the car would run like **** wouldn't it?

- Dug
Old 11-06-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

are the pins into the computer getting the signal? continutity check between them.. not just from the replaced plugto the wire?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

The car don`t have to run good with the stock tune, it just has to run long enough to see if the codes come back. I`d try taking it to the dealer have them flash it back to stock so you have fresh non corrupted tune then reread with edit do your adjustments and reflash your car. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

MM, yes, we checked it at the pins on the PCM, and it seemed fine to us. FWIW, my buddy that tunes my car had the same thing happen to his car. However, we was able to delete the codes in LS1-Edit on his car ( 99+ ) and his sensors were still reading. It appears on the '98 cars it turns them off completely.

Hmmmm, I just might do that. How much does a dealer charge to reflash? Would that be cheaper than getting Ken Kelly at LS1-Edit to send me a new PCM?

- Dug
Old 11-07-2003, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could probably get them to flash it for free if they are nice.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh here's a question. you downloaded and saved your original computer flash right?

why don't you just put it back and see if it helps at all.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

dealer charged me around $30 to do it only took 30 min. i think most charge $1 min what a rip? but where else can you get it done?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

Why not redo the wiring, the wiring might be melted or partially pulled.

Reflashing the pcm should not help, you are setting a code.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChevyNo1
WTF??? What do I do next? I suppose someone is gonna tell me now that I need a new PCM . . . funny these codes didn't get set until I got LS1-Edit programming!!

Somebody else has had this happen to them surely . . . what did you do? I can't go running around in an FI car with no knock sensors!!

- Dug
I had the same problems after I used Edit. Version 1.3 has knock volume.
I increased volume by 10%(110). I started with 15% then went to 10%. I tried 5% and the 327 and 332 codes came back. Hope this helps.
Tom Hall
Old 11-07-2003, 09:16 PM
7 Second Club

Received 329 Likes on 220 Posts

That is an interesting find Tom, I think we will try that tomorrow. I am wondering if that knock volume table is in the 99+ PCMs and Ken just hasn't found it yet, or if it is specific to 98s only. I think I will contact Ken Kelley and ask him if it is possibly in the 99+ PCMs. Just curius, does your car still get knock retard having your knock volume increased by 110%?
Old 11-08-2003, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nic00Z28M6
That is an interesting find Tom, I think we will try that tomorrow. I am wondering if that knock volume table is in the 99+ PCMs and Ken just hasn't found it yet, or if it is specific to 98s only. I think I will contact Ken Kelley and ask him if it is possibly in the 99+ PCMs. Just curius, does your car still get knock retard having your knock volume increased by 110%?
I haven't seen any KR with the increase in volume. I use 104 race fuel all the time and don't drive on the street much. I do feel better that the sensors can be on. I was getting 9.9 KR when the codes came on. I hope it's working. Good Luck.
Tom
Old 11-08-2003, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I just had the same problem. I left the new harness wires too long and they got pinched when I re-installed the manifold.

I had to perform some surgery, but the problem has disappeared after repairing the wiring. Perhaps you've already checked this, though.