Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 edit vs. Predator...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 edit vs. Predator...

Ok with my mods which would be better considering the money spent. I don't have a laptop but I am a computer programmer and car nut so the learning curve of LS1 edit might not be as bad for me. Can the predator do everything LS1 edit can? The plus I see for the predator is not having to buy a laptop. Thanx guys/gals...

-Sly
Old 11-16-2003, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1edit all the way.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

I bought the Predator only to find out that it doesn't have all the parameters available that edit has, contrary to what was presented to me. I now have to buy edit for a camshaft car. Don't be like me and have to spend the money two times.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool thanx John02SS that's the exact info I was looking for.

-Sly
Old 11-16-2003, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

No problem bud! My edit is on the way!
Old 11-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Restricted User

John02SS, I am not affiliated with Diablo in any way, nut I really would like to know why you Need to buy Edit for a Cam only car? If you are not getting support from your vendor, then you need to contact Diablo about that. You should be able to provide your vendor with data, the same data required for ANY tuning to be done, and then your vendor should send you back a custom tune for your particular application. This process is much the same way for edit. Edit tune: Scan car, get codes, log data, provide mod list....tuner writes a file and uploads into your cars pcm. Biggest difference is that instead of waiting in a shop while the tune is being done, you transmit via email. Sounds to me John like someone did not share all the right info with you.

BTW, I have a cam only car, and run plenty of nitrous..my car is tuned with Predator, I need to have the idle in P/N A/C off tweaked, but all else is just fine.

What was done, lets see, the basic rear O2's off, C.O.T. off, adjust TM, Adjusted Misfire Parameters, Idle, scaled for larger injectors, dialed in AFR for idle/cruise&Part throttle, and WOT, raised line pressure, reduced shift time in the tune itself so I dont need to mess with adjusting it, fan turn on/off temp, shift at rpm, and shift at speed settings,reduced timing to 26*max for nitrous use, deleted A.I.R. codes and E.G.R. codes, adjust throttle follower to decrease the surging from a cam, as well added timing under 1200rpms....and the list goes on, so what is it exactly that edit can do that Predator cannot, other than tune yourself once you also buy a laptop?

*EDIT* Forgot, copied the high octane tabel to the low octane minus 1* as well as changed the decay rate for recovery from seeing KR to full timing.
Charlie.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm predator is looking good now considering it's much cheaper and doesn't require a laptop. Are predator's like LS1 edit where they lock into the vin number on the car and only good for that car?

Thanx for all the info!

-Sly
Old 11-16-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah predator only works on one car, for the tune. its nothing more or less than ls1 edit...if u have someone tune it for you. i love this for the simple fact that i dont need to learn everything about ls1 edit. i just tell my programer what my numbers are and i get a tune that fixes it. he delete my egr, air and rear o2s from the computer as well as COT the parameters it lets you adjust on there are for fine tuning of WOT fuel and timing, once you get a good base and fuel trims zeroed in you cna use that to adjust on it and it would be pleanty....if you need anything else just pm me and ill help you out any way i can....im glad i got the predator so instead of worrying about what to change and what not to change i can worry about how to make my car go faster
Old 11-16-2003, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not bashing it in any way and after putting the stock maf back on the car it seems to be doing better. I was really needing the VE tables adjusted and that softward wasn't available. Things are much better now that my vendor is doing the tuning and not Diablo. I had a list of things that I wanted done and they said they did, but come to find out wasn't done at all or half way. I'm working with the vendor now and will drive to him and let him tune it. James is a great guy and I just hope we can get the car squared away before the ultra rich idle gas washes the cylinders and hurts the rings.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2 years ago I couldn't even turn on a computer.Now I'm a Edit tuner for a shop.So Edit is not hard to use.
Personally I tuned 2 cars that had Preditor tunes.The owners were sick of getting tunes that did not work.For people that are not real picky,Preditor will work good.But for me I like changing tunes on road trips,with no waiting for a new tune to be sent to me.My current setup would of taken 2 months to get done with Preditor since I downloaded 15 Edit files to get it to run perfect.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool, I guess it would be better to get edit, as soon as I sell my stang I'll be getting edit and a bunch of other things too , are there any requirements as far as the laptop is concerned for edit?

-Sly
Old 11-17-2003, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Never mind that my Predator STILL won't raise my rev limiter in my 99 6 speed. Sent it in once, been trying to do the internet thing for a few weeks only to find the software doesn't want to install. You might not have the problems I'm having though. The only advantage I can see over a Superchips tuner is the diagnostic ability.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:57 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slyws6
cool, I guess it would be better to get edit, as soon as I sell my stang I'll be getting edit and a bunch of other things too , are there any requirements as far as the laptop is concerned for edit?

-Sly
minimum is like a 200mhz or so, 16 ram, ect. pretty basic. check the carputing site for the computer requirements. im running mine on a p3 500mhz 128 ram and there is no problem what so ever