PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

02 ls6 98 pcm

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 02 ls6 98 pcm

alright i had a 02LS6 with a 98 flash (they told me somethin to do with campadabilty since i have a 93Z... i dunno) then i did some modifications and it ran great for months... then PCM went out and now they did a 02 flash and the car runs like crap.. they said its the same and it has to be a mechanical problem...IT RAN GREAT BEFORE ...
now they want to charge me to put back to 98.. is it worth risking the money and it stil not work or what?

am i wrong or are they really the same....
Old 08-21-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you just get a proper tune in it instead of using stock a stock 98 program?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rick. Salinas
alright i had a 02LS6 with a 98 flash (they told me somethin to do with campadabilty since i have a 93Z... i dunno) then i did some modifications and it ran great for months... then PCM went out and now they did a 02 flash and the car runs like crap.. they said its the same and it has to be a mechanical problem...IT RAN GREAT BEFORE ...
now they want to charge me to put back to 98.. is it worth risking the money and it stil not work or what?

the problem im seeing is that your flashing in a 2002 program into a 98 pcm without repinning the harness. i have a 98 system in my car and havent had any issues with the pcm dying or anything of that sort. it really sounds like you need to get with my tuner on this issue for some advice.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on this story, the 98 flash will probably get you back to where you were.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Did you replace the PCM with a 98 or 02?

Or was it just a re-flash?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick. Salinas

Whomever "they" is, doesn't understand the difference??? I'd say that you need to find a new "they." The only difference from a sensor standpoint is the 3 wire 98 coolant temp sensor as opposed to the 2 wire 02. From a software standpoint, the operating systems are different in that the back up VE table used to tune VE, is stepped every 10 kPa on the 98 operating system where the 02 OS is every 5. Then there's the difference in knock sensor software & a few other things. If you had an 02 PCM, then it was re-pinned for the 98 harness, & won't work w/ the 02 tune. If you had a 98 PCM (more likely & the similar to having the 02 PCM re-pinned w/a 98 tune) & you now have a stock 02 PCM, it won't work without a re-pin. Ask "they" if the replaced PCM is a 98 or an 02. If it's an 02, either re-pin for a 98 harness or pull it out & install a 98 PCM w/ a 98 program. I've had dyno operators (not real tuners, but "MAF table only" dyno operators ) not even be able to identify a 98 PCM. The response is usually, "what PCM is that," & sorry we can only do GM stuff here.

After the PCM issue has been corrected, pull out the PCM & send it to an LS1Tech mail order tune sponsor, in order to upgrade the program for your mods. Even though it worked before doesn't mean that you were getting the full benefit from the mods. An updated tune is usually required to get all out of air movement type of mods. Good-luck.

FYI: I have a 98 PCM & operating system controlling an 06 LS6 short block w/ AFR 205 heads, Comp cam & other air movement effeciency type mods.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Teching In

well they did replace the PCM to a new one (im assuming 02) , now "they" are a sponsor on this site and i did not want to give out the name cuz i did not want it to seam like i was talkin **** i just want my car back without spending an arm and a leg... i believe "they" should just help me out and may be not flash it back for free but atleast a discount or something instead of telling me NO to everything i ask..it really pisses me off when they see a young guy walk in an assume i dont kno **** about anything. i have both pin outs for a 98 and an 02 and they have several diff pin locations..of course "i dont kno anything"
Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^
To be clear, I placed THEY in quotes to bash them & other companies like theirs. It was not done to mock you. There is nothing wrong with posting the name of the sponsor & the problem that you have w/ a Sponsor. If they don't know any better about the 98 & 02 PCM's, then they need to learn the differences. Not only should they correct the problem on their time, but should repair (re-pin) or replace the PCM on their dime (as an exchange), as well.

You can also post your troubles in the Sponsor Feedback section. Doing so usually helps. Let us know the company's name.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

well since it had a 98 pcm before and was fine just replace it with another 98 pcm them have a full dynotune done to get every thing running the way it should.
my cars a 98 with an 02 engine and all i needed was a tune but my tuner dident have any problems tuning my 98 car.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Rick. Salinas,

Any luck getting the Sponsor to work with you on this? Please keep us updated. We can help & the car issue itself isn't difficult to fix.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The appeal of the 98 PCM in Rick's case is the fact the you can just plug it in to the LT1 and everything works. The newer computers require some modifications for the gauges and stuff to work.

So having a 98 PCM on any LS1/LS6 engine is fine, but you have to use that OS. Running a newer OS or a newer PCM will require modifications to the harness. The problem here is that Rick doesn't know what he has. So blaming someone shouldn't be an issue right now.

I would be more concerned with why the original PCM "went out".
Old 08-22-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

No one is blaming anyone. Further, the people of whom have already posted have & understand the 98 operating system. The actual problem is communication between the customer & the seller. If Rick. Salinas would post the name of the sponsor, we could help by explaining to the sponsor what the issue is; either through PM's, telephone or in this thread.

We understand that Rick. Salinas did not know enough about the set up to correctly communicate the information to the sponor. However, the sponsor told Rick. Salinas that his issue is a mechanical problem. All that we are trying to do here is to get the proper information to the sponsor so that Rick. Salinas gets the help that he has asked for. Further, the sponsor will also have a better understanding of what may be, the next time he runs across a conversion.