Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners pro or standard?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners pro or standard?

Im finishing up a turbo build and am need of some tuning software. One of the local supercharged guys has HP Tuners Pro and swears by it. The I understand the difference between pro and standard for the most part, with the standard can I hook up my dynojet WB2 to it? All the FAQ on their site says is pro can do various sensors but doesnt mention what standard can do....
Old 11-14-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Nvm, I need the pro. Different question: if my friends has HP tuners pro can I buy credits to use it on my vehicle? Is there anything stored in the device that will be erased if I did this?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Nvm, I need the pro. Different question: if my friends has HP tuners pro can I buy credits to use it on my vehicle? Is there anything stored in the device that will be erased if I did this?
Yes you can use it on your car just make sure to save your stock file. You need two credits to unlock your vehicle they are $49.99 each I believe. Nothing will be erased if it was saved perviously.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

True but buying it yourself is worth it. Frost can do email tuning also to get you started.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the real difference between the two? what are you paying $150 for with the pro?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
what is the real difference between the two? what are you paying $150 for with the pro?

MPVI Std and MPVI Pro (Enhanced IO) Interface Differences
Old 11-16-2009, 08:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
True but buying it yourself is worth it. Frost can do email tuning also to get you started.
Yeah we occasionally see friendships broken when friends loan theirs out or purchase jointly. Not to mention those times when you need to change something and the person who has the interface isn't around...it happens.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

>With our Pro interface, you can integrate 0-5v signals from various sensors such as EGT, Wide Band, fuel pressure and others right into our scanner. You will have real time data from those sensors right next to your standard scan tool data such as TPS, RPM, MPH, etc.<

can you not get this information with the standard?

>Our MPVI Pro interface also has black box data datalogging of up to 1hr 30mins built in. What this means is you are able to scan your vehicle without the use of a laptop using the interfaces record button.<

so this means you don't log direct to your laptop. How's this an advantage?

is this all there is? sorry just trying to understand
Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

I bought the standard, but now I need to hook a wide band up and get some better tuning done, should have bought the pro to begin with. Now I have to spend 250+ to upgrade. I wish someone would have a special on upgrading.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

can you not get this information with the standard?
std has no provisions for inputs.

so this means you don't log direct to your laptop. How's this an advantage?
many towns & racetracks no longer allow you to datalog with a laptop sitting there beside you, with the pro version you are just hooking the obd2 cable & interface box to your vehicle and no laptop is needed in vehicle to datalog. Very convenient for track logging especially.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

>With our Pro interface, you can integrate 0-5v signals from various sensors such as EGT, Wide Band, fuel pressure and others right into our scanner. You will have real time data from those sensors right next to your standard scan tool data such as TPS, RPM, MPH, etc.<

1. are you saying you can not get this information with the standard or any other way?

2. and how often do you need this informantion presented like this.

this is a good thread and I'm about to buy, not shooting the bull guys
Old 11-17-2009, 03:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by printmanjackson

1. are you saying you can not get this information with the standard or any other way?

2. and how often do you need this informantion presented like this.

this is a good thread and I'm about to buy, not shooting the bull guys
I understand the Pro makes it very easy to log those 0-5v sources, though from what I have *heard* there are other ways to get those 0-5v sources to log with the HPtuners standard model.

The black box option with the pro is 100% win though. I have been yelled at while at the track for logging with my laptop. Kinda nice to just have to worry about the cable and interface. Also you don't have to worry about that damned laptop battery that never seems to last long enough while your logging your VE's.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SVTHuh
I understand the Pro makes it very easy to log those 0-5v sources, though from what I have *heard* there are other ways to get those 0-5v sources to log with the HPtuners standard model.
does this mean they are "rigging" the wiring to get the info from the wideband? So the stand doesn't have a place to wire for the incoming info from the wideband?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned

correct. People have been wiring through the AC pressure sensor and the EGR.

Me personally, if your going to be using this on multiple vehicles, I would get the pro. If your only going to be tuning your car and you don't need the black box function, and you know your never going to be tuning multiple cars and you dont mind playing with some of your underhood wiring, then get the standard. Though to upgrade to the pro later is more expensive than to just buy it up front.

Im kicking myself for buying the standard... If you can swing it, buy the pro. You never know what life will toss your way.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

PMJ,

Don't cheap out, spend the money for the extra option... you won't regret it... life's too short.

So you compared the two products like we told you, and you like HPT... cool...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

yep, I have looked at every tunning software and I'm convenced on the HTP Pro. I have read too many threads where people say I wish I had ......

Now I need to decide on a wideband.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99LS6SS
I bought the standard, but now I need to hook a wide band up and get some better tuning done, should have bought the pro to begin with. Now I have to spend 250+ to upgrade. I wish someone would have a special on upgrading.
You can use a different input to get the signal to the pcm. Some of the guys on the Cobalt Fourm were using the ac input to the pcm. for the wideband. I think you could use the EGR input something the same way..

I have the pro and would recommend it but if you already have the standard version I would do it this way

I am using the autometer cobalt wideband and it works good. It has a full throttle input also.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

The NGK AFX is probably one of the best wideband controllers out there today. Its compact, effective and cost efficient.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

^^^that's what I've heard, and that's what I'm going to buy. If I can get HPT to read my wideband w/o upgrading to PRO, then I'll do it. But how would I wire it up through the EGR and get it to read AFR on HPT?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

before I would pay to up grade the std to the pro I would look at selling the std then buy the pro. the cost might be the same but you would end up having more credits.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners pro or standard?