Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VE tuning on a '99 C5

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VE tuning on a '99 C5

I've got a '99 C5 that I've done heads, cam, supporting mods, etc. I've done basic stuff up to this point (Hp Tuners, btw) and it's getting to the point that I need to tackle the VE tables. My understanding is that you put the pcm in SD mode by essentially failing the MAF. Doesn't the '99 revert to the secondary, coarse resolution VE table when you do this? My question is this: how do I put this pcm in SD mode and still use the main VE table?
Thanks in advance.
Scott
Old 02-04-2010, 10:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxlean
how do I put this pcm in SD mode and still use the main VE table?
Thanks in advance.
Scott
1 bar SD custom operating system
Old 02-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Does that use any of my credits to do? And if I do the custom operating system, what will it take to bring it back to MAF operation after the VE table is dialed, a reload of the original operating system? Sorry if these are noob questions, but I'm learning!
Scott
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

should take 1 credit on 1 bar.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Does that use any of my credits to do? And if I do the custom operating system, what will it take to bring it back to MAF operation after the VE table is dialed, a reload of the original operating system? Sorry if these are noob questions, but I'm learning!
Scott
2 credits but you'll get ALL the vcm enhancements for that file meaning for 2 credits you'll get 1 bar SD, 2 bar SD and if available 3 bar SD & 1 bar MAF w/rtt. All you would need to do is flash the stock operating system back when you are done.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Does the 1 bar enhanced still allow maf operation? Also, is there anyway to get real time tuning as well? I see it's available in the 2bar enhanced, but since I'm NA, I didn't think 2bar would be a wise choice, unless you can run the 2bar as 1bar?
Scott
Old 02-06-2010, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

interested in the answer...
Old 02-07-2010, 10:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Does the 1 bar enhanced still allow maf operation? Also, is there anyway to get real time tuning as well? I see it's available in the 2bar enhanced, but since I'm NA, I didn't think 2bar would be a wise choice, unless you can run the 2bar as 1bar?
Scott
In the earlier code that has a secondary ve table the maf is coded out in the 1 bar, 2 bar & 3 bar SD vcm enhancements.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Teching In

So does that mean that I don't have to jump through all the hoops of putting it in sd mode (fail the maf, etc) that would otherwise need to be done if the enhanced os is installed? In other words, just install the enhanced os and bam, it's in sd with no other work on my part? And what about the RTT with the one bar sd enhanced. On my hptuners, only the 2 bar and maf enhanced show rtt being available. RTT would be really handy on the 1 bar enhanced.
BTW, thanks for all your help. It's really appreciated.
Scott
Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scott,

What I have found in my 2000 Camaro, is that if I run the 2000 OS, I do not need to fail the MAF...if it's unplugged, I can actually leave the codes for the MAF set to "no error reported", and just leave the MAF unplugged, and the 1 bar enhanced os runs fine with no codes set. VE tuning works flawlessly like this too. I have not tried doing the same thing with the stock OS...only the 1-bar enhanced 2000 OS...but now I kinda want to try.

I've also updated my car to a 2002 OS for another reason, and in the 2002 OS, I DO need to fail the MAF in order for SD mode to work properly...if the codes are set to "no error reported" on the 2002 OS (both GM and 1 bar enhanced), the car won't run.

I hope that helps to answer some of your question.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Scott,

What I have found in my 2000 Camaro, is that if I run the 2000 OS, I do not need to fail the MAF...if it's unplugged, I can actually leave the codes for the MAF set to "no error reported", and just leave the MAF unplugged, and the 1 bar enhanced os runs fine with no codes set. VE tuning works flawlessly like this too. I have not tried doing the same thing with the stock OS...only the 1-bar enhanced 2000 OS...but now I kinda want to try.

I've also updated my car to a 2002 OS for another reason, and in the 2002 OS, I DO need to fail the MAF in order for SD mode to work properly...if the codes are set to "no error reported" on the 2002 OS (both GM and 1 bar enhanced), the car won't run.

I hope that helps to answer some of your question.
Thanks for the input, but I'm still a little confused. HP Tuners shows that the 1 bar sd enhanced is sd only. So by uploading this to the pcm, why would I need to fail the MAF? Shouldn't it run sd by default? And if I'm reading things correctly, you can't run in MAF mode at all with this os. So, what's the deal?
Scott
Old 02-13-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

There is also an enhanced MAF OS which is basically just the stock OS minus the secondary VE tables and it has RTT.