Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 LT1 VIN into a '02 LS1 PCM? EFI Live/HPT

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '96 LT1 VIN into a '02 LS1 PCM? EFI Live/HPT

I am looking into doing an LS PCM swap into my '96 Formula. I need to know if HP Tuners will work with a LS1 PCM and LT1 VIN. The VIN needs to match the car for OBD2 plug-in emissions testing purposes. I already have HP Tuners so it would be great if it will work but from my research it looks like EFI Live is my only option. Anyone familiar with this type of dilemma? Thanks,

Larry
Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hp tuners will not let you do it, you're only choices are Efi Live or TunerCat
Old 02-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Are you planning on using the EFI Connection Kit for the swap? We have been involved with 3 cars using this system- (2 full installs and one just tuning). One of the cars was featured in this month's GMHTP.

If so, EFI Live works great. Maybe someone more familiar with HPT could chime in but, I don't see why you could not license and load a 02 VIN/OS. Of course the VIN would not be your original 96 so if you are in an emissions testing state and want to run it on the street that would be a problem.

If you can use a dummy VIN, the benefits of the Realtime tuning and solid LSx ignition system would be well worth your efforts.

Doc
Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doc
Are you planning on using the EFI Connection Kit for the swap? ...

...Of course the VIN would not be your original 96 so if you are in an emissions testing state and want to run it on the street that would be a problem....

If you can use a dummy VIN, the benefits of the Realtime tuning and solid LSx ignition system would be well worth your efforts.

Doc
Yes, looking at EFI Connections. I figured I couldn't go wrong since I already have some stuff for the swap...and HPT. Then I find out HPT most likely won't recognize the 96 VIN in a LS PCM, which as I stated I need for emissions testing.

So after thinking about it, I will have a backup PCM for emissions with the correct VIN and a daily PCM that I can tune with my current suite without throwing another $550+ down the tubes (no offense, I now wish I had bought EFI Live instead, lol). Seems like the cheapest and easiest way to do it for me.

I'm just glad I won't have to deal with this VIN crap in my turbo Buick when I do a LS swap. If that were the case I would be jumping ship to EFI Live ASAP. Thanks for the help guys,

Larry
Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc
Are you planning on using the EFI Connection Kit for the swap? We have been involved with 3 cars using this system- (2 full installs and one just tuning). One of the cars was featured in this month's GMHTP.

If so, EFI Live works great. Maybe someone more familiar with HPT could chime in but, I don't see why you could not license and load a 02 VIN/OS. Of course the VIN would not be your original 96 so if you are in an emissions testing state and want to run it on the street that would be a problem.

Doc
HP will not allow you to run a wrong year vin.
Read Bill's post #3 in this thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-bullshit.html

another one of HP Tuner's great features, as Microsoft would call them.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
Yes, looking at EFI Connections. I figured I couldn't go wrong since I already have some stuff for the swap...and HPT. Then I find out HPT most likely won't recognize the 96 VIN in a LS PCM, which as I stated I need for emissions testing.

So after thinking about it, I will have a backup PCM for emissions with the correct VIN and a daily PCM that I can tune with my current suite without throwing another $550+ down the tubes (no offense, I now wish I had bought EFI Live instead, lol). Seems like the cheapest and easiest way to do it for me.

I'm just glad I won't have to deal with this VIN crap in my turbo Buick when I do a LS swap. If that were the case I would be jumping ship to EFI Live ASAP. Thanks for the help guys,

Larry
There is a way around this, first you would read & license the file on the pcm, then have the pcm programmed with the 96 LT1 vin(our software will not be able to do this) then just use the file you read from the pcm as your base file. You can do write calibration only's without issue in this instance as the vin block area is not erased or changed during a write calibration. There are a few free vin change programs available here & there so doing this at little or no added cost wouldn't be that difficult.

-Bill
Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
There is a way around this, first you would read & license the file on the pcm, then have the pcm programmed with the 96 LT1 vin(our software will not be able to do this) then just use the file you read from the pcm as your base file. You can do write calibration only's without issue in this instance as the vin block area is not erased or changed during a write calibration. There are a few free vin change programs available here & there so doing this at little or no added cost wouldn't be that difficult.

-Bill
Interesting, thanks for chiming in. Is there any other feature that will be hindered by the incorrect VIN? I currently use HP Tuners Pro MPVI. Thanks,

Larry
Old 02-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
Interesting, thanks for chiming in. Is there any other feature that will be hindered by the incorrect VIN? I currently use HP Tuners Pro MPVI. Thanks,

Larry
Some scanners use the VIN to figure out what PCM it is, I've run in to places like Advance Auto, who's scanner couldn't read a PCM that had the wrong VIN in it. I stopped putting the vehicle vin in the swap PCM unless the needed it for emissions
If you do what Bill (who always seems helpful to his users) to help you out, I will gladly change the VIN for just the shipping cost
Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by poconojoe
If you do what Bill (who always seems helpful to his users) to help you out, I will gladly change the VIN for just the shipping cost
That is a very generous offer and I appreciate it. I will hold off on making a decision until I find out if I will be able to use all of the features I have at my disposal with HP Tuners. I would really like to be able to do everything to my '96 Formula that I can do with my '02 Trans Am. If that means I need 2 PCMs, so be it. If I can get away with one PCM, all the better. Thanks again,

Larry
Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The only thing you might have a problem with down the line is when changing to a different operating system(ie custom os or other) as the vin block is written when doing a write entire(which is used to change operating systems) though I'm not positive it will take without doing the key on/off procedure(I've never personally tested this on a vehicle so I can't be sure) but again thats only if you decided to go to a different operating system sometime down the line.

-Bill
Old 02-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foff667
The only thing you might have a problem with down the line is when changing to a different operating system(ie custom os or other) as the vin block is written when doing a write entire(which is used to change operating systems) though I'm not positive it will take without doing the key on/off procedure(I've never personally tested this on a vehicle so I can't be sure) but again thats only if you decided to go to a different operating system sometime down the line.

-Bill
Bill if I changed his VIN back to the licensed one, he should be able to change it then, correct?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, its just that anytime you do a write entire it would update the vin block to the vin on that base file(would would have whatever vin that was originally in it) so it would be best to just setup with whatever os he wants to use first, read that file out(with that proper vin/os combination) then have the vin in the pcm modified, that way from there on out he'd just need to do write calibration only's and would be good to go.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks so much for the great information and help guys.

Larry
Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

BUMP - Did you ever see if this will pass the sniffer/plug-in test?

Quick Reply: '96 LT1 VIN into a '02 LS1 PCM? EFI Live/HPT