Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner Credit Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
No clue who previously tuned it. It was out of a wrecked car.
Warranty History shows last serviced in BELLE VERNON, PA
Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a noob too. So whats the deal with this guys situation? He cant use it on other cars now? Does it take up all the credits to use all the features?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
Im a noob too. So whats the deal with this guys situation? He cant use it on other cars now? Does it take up all the credits to use all the features?
HPTuners comes with 8 credits. It takes 2 credits to tune a car and 2 more to add an enhanced operating system. In his case it already had and enhanced OS in his PCM so he used 4 to license his PCM. It's probably a rare occurrence. He can also still buy as many extra credits as he wants.

I guess you should always check the OS before licensing a single vehicle it might help you to keep you options open.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
HPTuners comes with 8 credits. It takes 2 credits to tune a car and 2 more to add an enhanced operating system. In his case it already had and enhanced OS in his PCM so he used 4 to license his PCM. It's probably a rare occurrence. He can also still buy as many extra credits as he wants.

I guess you should always check the OS before licensing a single vehicle it might help you to keep you options open.
So for 4 credits you can tune and tinker with the same car over and over?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
So for 4 credits you can tune and tinker with the same car over and over?
No, only 2. The Enhanced OS allows for some ease of tuning advantage and other advantages on boosted applications, but isn't required for anything.

In this guys case he just got unlucky and bought a PCM that already had an enhanced OS installed. So he had to use 4 to access that particular PCM.

Which is why I said if you're going to use a single vehicle license (and not a year/model or group license) then after you pull the tune look to see if it has been upgraded to an Enhanced OS before committing to any licensing.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, only 2. The Enhanced OS allows for some ease of tuning advantage and other advantages on boosted applications, but isn't required for anything.

In this guys case he just got unlucky and bought a PCM that already had an enhanced OS installed. So he had to use 4 to access that particular PCM.

Which is why I said if you're going to use a single vehicle license (and not a year/model or group license) then after you pull the tune look to see if it has been upgraded to an Enhanced OS before committing to any licensing.
I just bought HPTuners as well, been playin with it for the last few days. I didnt know you could use up all your credits on one vehicle with enhanced features. Right after I got it I ran across a thread about EFI LIVE having an initial higher cost but a better deal cuz the enhanced features are included. Last year they used LS1 edit where I got it tuned, they must not have used one of these enhanced OS on mine cuz I only had to use 2 credits when I read & saved my PCM file last night. So how much would 2 credits cost?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by poconojoe
You get what you pay for and I see you went for cheap
Depending on what you're doing HP isn't always the cheap way out
I am glad you think $650 is the cheap way out, lol!

It has a 1 bar MAF enhanced OS applied. Same situation that I had.
What would be the purpose of that?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I just bought HPTuners as well, been playin with it for the last few days. I didnt know you could use up all your credits on one vehicle with enhanced features. Right after I got it I ran across a thread about EFI LIVE having an initial higher cost but a better deal cuz the enhanced features are included. Last year they used LS1 edit where I got it tuned, they must not have used one of these enhanced OS on mine cuz I only had to use 2 credits when I read & saved my PCM file last night. So how much would 2 credits cost?
You can't use up all your credits. Just 4. Unless of course you only have 4 left.

LS1 Edit doesn't offer enhancements, only EFIlive and HPTuners. You don't need the enhancements for the most part. Tuner shops that use HPTuners with unlimited enhancements will use them for they're RTT (real time tuning) feature that lets them get the tuning done much more quickly. That was more than likely the deal with this guys PCM and the one that I had trouble with.

The custom OSs are more for power adder cars. The regular person doesn't need them and even still you can get by without them most of the time. They just make life a little easier.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

You can't use up all your credits. Just 4. Unless of course you only have 4 left.
So I could tune 4 different cars then if I wanted?
LS1 Edit doesn't offer enhancements, only EFIlive and HPTuners. You don't need the enhancements for the most part. Tuner shops that use HPTuners with unlimited enhancements will use them for they're RTT (real time tuning) feature that lets them get the tuning done much more quickly. That was more than likely the deal with this guys PCM and the one that I had trouble with.

The custom OSs are more for power adder cars. The regular person doesn't need them and even still you can get by without them most of the time. They just make life a little easier.
So because the other shop used RTT to tune this PCM, you cant go in & tune regularly & are stuck using the 2 more credits? I see. So how much to buy 2 credits?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

$100 for 2 credits.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
So I could tune 4 different cars then if I wanted?

So because the other shop used RTT to tune this PCM, you cant go in & tune regularly & are stuck using the 2 more credits? I see. So how much to buy 2 credits?
You bought HPTuners and you didn't know how many cars you can tune with it? Yeah you can tune 4 with a brand new HPTuners purchase.

And yeah. If he could have located the shop that tuned the car then they could have set him straight.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Since you already spent 4 credits, you might as well take advantage of it...you can now real time tune that car, OR you can convert it to ANY of the other custom OS's such as 1 bar speed density with RTT, or if you ever put a blower or turbo on, you can go to 2 or 3 bar in that car...all at no more hptuners cost to you...
Is this part true? you dont have to use 2 credits for RTT and then turn around and use 2 more for 2 bar?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahhh crap. I was hesitant enough to start tuning with mine, now I'm even afraid to hook the damn thing up
Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonoma
Is this part true? you dont have to use 2 credits for RTT and then turn around and use 2 more for 2 bar?
yes, if you buy any custom OS for your year, they give you all that are available.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
Ahhh crap. I was hesitant enough to start tuning with mine, now I'm even afraid to hook the damn thing up
you can always sell it to me then lol

Originally Posted by Frost
yes, if you buy any custom OS for your year, they give you all that are available.
Thanks for clarifying this for me thats great news
Old 07-15-2010, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember to keep a copy of your file as it was BEFORE applying any OS's so that you can switch later if you want. You can't un-apply the OS's once they are there, so you need to work with one that has the OEM OS.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Launching!

ok thanks for the heads up
Old 07-27-2010, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

here is a fun one i just learned.
doing a 98 pcm swap update to a 99+ pcm
i was given the proper file with the fuel segments swaps by EC_tune (i dont own efI)
Now hp support tells me its gonna cost 4 credits to wite this file to my new 0411 pcm
I can see 2 for the file from EC_tune, but another 2 to do a write entire to the new pcm! I dont even care what is on the new pcm, i just want to put this file on it!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
here is a fun one i just learned.
doing a 98 pcm swap update to a 99+ pcm
i was given the proper file with the fuel segments swaps by EC_tune (i dont own efI)
Now hp support tells me its gonna cost 4 credits to wite this file to my new 0411 pcm
I can see 2 for the file from EC_tune, but another 2 to do a write entire to the new pcm! I dont even care what is on the new pcm, i just want to put this file on it!
No doubt your applying a custom OS, hence the 4 credits.

Quick Reply: HP Tuner Credit Question