Sponsored by:

Holley hp and dominator efi ecu for LSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soundengineer
tach works by connecting any aftermarket tach to pin J1A28

as far as the speedo....you need the Dominator and the transmission harness to drive an electronic speedo(or atleast the J3 connectors and a few wires).

the HP will not drive a speedo
I do know that you can send your VSS signal into the Holley and it will read in your datalogs....but you cannot control the speedo with the HP or the Avenger.

in my case... VSS uses "IPU Speed" and its set to MPH, 40pprot...works perfect.
My speedo signal actually comes from my TCI 6x Controller as I was using it before I swapped over to the Holley EFI.

hi, my vss on the th400 only has two pins. how do i get a signal to the holley?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
hi, my vss on the th400 only has two pins. how do i get a signal to the holley?
lookup which pin is the high side, and which one is the low side...

take the high side into any open input, and the low side to a ground

in the software, just add the input in the IO section, and set the type as IPU speed
then you just have to go in and configure it to match your vss sensor...
I like to set it to average Half the vsstotal pulses...
so if your vss is a 40 pulse per rotation, then set pulses to average to 20

you will also enter in your rear end gear ratio and your tire size in inches..
Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad i found this info i was wondering about the tach and speedo, i have two holley hp ecu's, one on my chevelle and one on my 67 camaro, can you use a open input for a second wideband and remap the I/O on the hp so that it uses two wide bands?? or would it be ok to put the single wideband into the y pipe to catch both sides of the engine? i want to run a small shot and was worried about one side runnin rich or lean and the other side being ok. also anyone using the touchscreen will it do a speedo and tach gauge??
Old 09-11-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 72Elkytpi
I just went ahead and ordered the Holley HP but now Im thinking about the T56 sensors that the Holley doesnt control. There is a VSS sensor and a reverse lock out. Does the Holley read VSS or not. The Dominator reads the 4l60e but not the HP. So how will I get my speedo and tach gauges to work if the HP doesnt read VSS signal.

Also is there a way to hook up the other sensors on the T56, reverse lockout can be a switch right.
Did you figure out the reverse lock out with the Holley setup? I'm thinking about going t56 and just picked up the 550-602 kit (amazon sells it for $1250, best price I've found). I'm using a tach and gps speedo so don't need vss there, but does the Holley comp need a vss signal to prevent stalling the way the factory ecm does?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BS3 guys are not controlling the stock 99 and newer dash directly... to use the stock gauges, you would need to piggy back to the stock ECU....or use a 98 or previous dash that still uses mechanical/electrical gauges..
newer dashes use a data stream that has all the gauge signals wrapped up in one signal.

so you either find an older dash that has each gauge separate electrically, piggy back to the stock PCM(which I highly ADVISE AGAINST PIGGYBACK METHODS)
Not to steel the thread but..

So far on my 02 I have been able to remove the stock PCM completely and the stock fuel and amp gauge is working. Looking at the wiring printouts it looks like the coolant and oil pressure can be wired directly to the stock cluster. I will be doing this this weekend to see if it works. It also looks like the speedo can be converted with a symple speedo module. The tach is another story. It looks like it is the only one that might be questionable. But there is a possibility we can use a speedo convertor module on it and take the signal from the aftermarket PCM. I will not know this for a fact for a few more weeks, it is low on my priority list right now. But if the rest works and the tach is the only thing that does not work, then an aftermarket tach looks like it would be the only thing else needed.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ITs late, but I am going to be downloading this tomarrow to check it out.

Question:
For closed loop with the dual WB's do they work secondary as Nb's as well? Normally we are shooting for 14.7 in closed loop, be kinda of cool to command whatever AFR we want in CL????
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 AM
8 Second Club

any news on the coil issue? i'm about to pull the trigger and just wanted to make sure.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Last i heard, the new "shielded" units are in stock and shipping... I have one.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holley upgraded mine with no problem!yes new ones are available
Old 10-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Teching In

I have read a lot of conflicting information concerning the coil feed back issue. It's been fixed, no it's not, yes it has, no it's not ect,ect.

I just received a new HP ecu and I was concerned about the Ls coil issue so I called the Holley tech guys.

He said all units with the last 4 digits of the SN of 3600 or higher have been hardened for the coil feedback. He said these units have been tested up to 30 psi with ls coils with no problems.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

Default AFR's?

Hi, caught this thread and wanted to see if anyone replies. I have a project car going at a shop with an LSx and a Holley Dominator ECU. Just got it running. I'm overseas and the shop is getting it running. I'll be picking it up in Jan.

My understanding is that you select the AFR then run the car under various conditions for it to learn, then you save the map and lock it in.

I also understand that you can save the various fuel maps and change depending on fuel, track, street, daily driving or road trip, etc.

Are these statements correct? or is it constantly in a learning mode and you only change the AFR?

Also, while everyone know 14.7 is the standard ratio, has anyone played around with other ratios to determine if maybe some are better for daily driving, mpg, performance and what are those ratios? Of course every engine is a little different, but I imagine the LS family has it's sweet spots. Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

14.7 is where you would put it in the maps in normal idle or cruising down the road area (on most engines). The rest of the map you would target a different AFR. So where you would be at wide open throttle you would target a richer AFR, where you would be at on the map right after you let off the throttle you might want to target a leaner AFR.

Because it uses a wide band O2 sensor instead of a Narrow Band O2 sensor like the OEM does, you set the map up to what ever target AFR you want in that portion of the map. With the WB O2 and in closed loop the PCM will try and correct the fueling to achieve the desired AFR.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug Flyn from Holley just ran his car on drag week with the ls coils with the changes to the ecu and had no issues with boost and spray on the car.

Tim
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by T/A KID
ITs late, but I am going to be downloading this tomarrow to check it out.

Question:
For closed loop with the dual WB's do they work secondary as Nb's as well? Normally we are shooting for 14.7 in closed loop, be kinda of cool to command whatever AFR we want in CL????
no such thing as a narrowband for the holley...
its Wideband only, and you set your desired AFR and it corrects to it..and it does it blazingly fast.

you set both the MAP axis and the RPM Axis
reason being you may not care about lower MAP and RPM resolution but might need/want more resolution at higher rpm's

I have Datalogs where My WOT pull at the track is dead on at commanded AFR the entire run within 0.1 AFR
Attached Thumbnails Holley hp and dominator efi ecu for LSX-untitled.png  
Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

ive been calling around to a bunch of sponsors on this site to see if any carry the holley efi dominator and I've had no luck so far. Does anyone know any performance shops that actually have these in stock? also have any of you heard if they will be discounted as we get closer to black friday?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Try the car shop inc

Tim

Last edited by Gray86hatch; 11-18-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

I like the new MSD Atomic LS EFI

its more, but probably better in the long run since they came out with theres last.

any input on it anyone?

looks like you just plug

tune

drive.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

The MSD is $1000 more than the holley.

Call msd and see how the tech help is. Holley is always avalible.

Tim
Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6 Z28
ive been calling around to a bunch of sponsors on this site to see if any carry the holley efi dominator and I've had no luck so far. Does anyone know any performance shops that actually have these in stock? also have any of you heard if they will be discounted as we get closer to black friday?
have you tried calling Holley Directly?
they do sell direct you know...and I think they have them in stock right now...
Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

have you tried calling Holley Directly?
they do sell direct you know...and I think they have them in stock right now...
Yes I called holley to double check everything that I needed, I was more interested in finding a dealer that had them in stock with competitive pricing and I just called the car shop, very helpful guys and price beat the 2 other quotes I got.

Quick Reply: Holley hp and dominator efi ecu for LSX