Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley hp and dominator efi ecu for LSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley hp and dominator efi ecu for LSX

Anyone tried it yet? Looks pretty sweet so far. The price is a little high but one could expect it to drop after being out for a little while.
Im curious as to how accurate the "self tuning" feature could possibly be..? Of course I would probly just use that feature to set a base tune, then modify it but it looks verry user friendly.
They say that the Hp version is plug and play for a lsx engine but it looks as if you have to buy the ECU, injector wireing harness then the ignition harness seperatly?
http://www.holleytv.com/video_detail.php?mId=13192

Last edited by Zman420; 05-31-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if anyone is using this yet
Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Teching In

i just bought the dominator kit today, once it comes in the mail i will let you know how it is. probly end up doin a nice thread on it
Old 09-16-2010, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

I saw these at the LS Fest in Bowling Green, Ky. They looked very nice but no one has any experience with them yet. I am looking at running one in my twin turbo 67 firebird.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,137 Likes on 740 Posts

Folks are running these systems now and I think so far that the most power made with it has been 1700 HP. While there have been some really ECU products over the years, I think these guys today probably have the best combination of DIY usability and tech support. If you are interested in best pricing I can poke around see who on here is strong dealer for them.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Folks are running these systems now and I think so far that the most power made with it has been 1700 HP. While there have been some really ECU products over the years, I think these guys today probably have the best combination of DIY usability and tech support. If you are interested in best pricing I can poke around see who on here is strong dealer for them.
We've got 2 systems coming (Dominators). Everyone will hear about at least one of these cars.

PS, I've tuned a whole bunch of different standalones, and this looks like the nicest one yet.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,137 Likes on 740 Posts

Yesterday a twin turbo LS Formula on E85 went 7.87@179 with the Holley Dominator EFI system, so that would be the quickest and fastest example... Not bad.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm looking to go dual fuel and pro street an old vette drag car

I want to run pump gas on the primary injectors and e85 on the secondary injectors with a twin turbo setup

it's currently an alchy car and already has a front and rear fuel cell so it's a good candidate

looking for the best pricing and folks that might have experience with the tuning

I'll put together the twin turbo and run 10-1 compression. looking for something that can crooze on low timing and pump gas and ramp up fuel/the timing on e85 bringing the big secondaries online from the secondary e85 injectors and fuel system when the boost hits. I'll brew up my own e85 to get a consistent blend. need to make sure I have a wideband to help make sure all this fancy stuff actually works and the efi dominator looks good

initially I'll run the old turbo 400 with the brake, but eventually want to control a 4L80E too once I can afford to build one

I have the engine built, it's a 496 the 82 drag car has a chassis to support up to 2k hp

looking to make around 1400 or so very streetable hp as that's probably the limit for the engine to stay "relatively low maint"

ed,

let me know, I'm in alex va and have the LSV ZR-1 we talked about running on e85

this really looks like the hot ticket using the dominator efi for what I want to do

need to sell my old turbo buick first, then I can step up and street the old drag car

I'll also have a 13-1 468 chevy race motor for sale it pulls a 2900 lb vette to 9.20s at 142 with a 1.36 60 ft time.

lemmeknow, might have a customer down the road for me in order to come up with the fold to pay U!! thx
Old 03-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by d1scamaro
i just bought the dominator kit today, once it comes in the mail i will let you know how it is. probly end up doin a nice thread on it
let me personaly know how the dominator kit works out, after a tune. please?? Which kit are you getting?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkreigh
I'm looking to go dual fuel and pro street an old vette drag car

I want to run pump gas on the primary injectors and e85 on the secondary injectors with a twin turbo setup

it's currently an alchy car and already has a front and rear fuel cell so it's a good candidate

looking for the best pricing and folks that might have experience with the tuning

I'll put together the twin turbo and run 10-1 compression. looking for something that can crooze on low timing and pump gas and ramp up fuel/the timing on e85 bringing the big secondaries online from the secondary e85 injectors and fuel system when the boost hits. I'll brew up my own e85 to get a consistent blend. need to make sure I have a wideband to help make sure all this fancy stuff actually works and the efi dominator looks good

initially I'll run the old turbo 400 with the brake, but eventually want to control a 4L80E too once I can afford to build one

I have the engine built, it's a 496 the 82 drag car has a chassis to support up to 2k hp

looking to make around 1400 or so very streetable hp as that's probably the limit for the engine to stay "relatively low maint"

ed,

let me know, I'm in alex va and have the LSV ZR-1 we talked about running on e85

this really looks like the hot ticket using the dominator efi for what I want to do

need to sell my old turbo buick first, then I can step up and street the old drag car

I'll also have a 13-1 468 chevy race motor for sale it pulls a 2900 lb vette to 9.20s at 142 with a 1.36 60 ft time.

lemmeknow, might have a customer down the road for me in order to come up with the fold to pay U!! thx
If you were closer to me I would love to work on this project with you. In Virginia I would give Virginia Speed a call. I have no doubt that Ed and Shawn can take care of any needs you may have from tuning that beast to building it. They are sponsors here so you can find their info to the right....

Keep us informed on your progress.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had the hp kit on my car now for a couple of months . but for a few issues, it is money well spent.

pros:

+ 31x31 table for fuel and spark.
+ real time tuning on everything
+ self learn and closed loop correction, means my tuner who had never used it before was able to rough in a tune in 15 minutes.
+ comes with a harness and o2 sensor for the $1500. it is only a little bit more expensive than a harness, pcm and hptuners/efilive
+ well laid out and easy to understand
+ built in nitrous and water meth control

cons

- advertised boost control feature is not implemented yet
- it does not work with ls1 factory gauges so if you want gauges you will spend $100 for each holley gauge you want. there is a guy who has 14 gauges so thats $1400 extra he spent on the gauges
- I cant find a rhyme or reason for why the closed loop/learn sometimes just deactivates and reactivates itself
- the datalogger AND the datalog viewer are lacking.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone had anymore ecperiance with this? Seens like a nice product.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Launching!

I'm in the process of installing the dominator and dyno tuning an blown ls1. Software is nice but instructions are non existent. Haha until you call the right tech guy. All of the wiring schematics are in the program under help tab. Along with setting it up etc. Unfortunately I think we found them to late and fried the ecu tonight. I'll see what they say in the morning. All the add ons will nickel and dime you. Oh the power cable for the dominator and hp are an add on.

Last edited by deion82; 08-31-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Launching!

Now that i've cooled off. I would like to say also buy it straight through Holley and not a shop like i did. That way all the harnesses, power cable etc you'd know about. After looking on Holley website and printing off the selection guide would have saved me one headache. Read through all manuals 1st before trying to run it. I'm sure it's a excellent setup and will post more after i get the ECU figured out.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Holley don't think the ECU is damaged and trying to trouble shoot. We keep blowing the 20amp fuse for the relay that supplies power to the fuel pump, injectors and coils. The fuel pump wire is not hook up, engine has spark, and injectors won't pulse. unhook the injector harness and fuse don't blow so we have it narrowed down to ECU or Injectors? I want to say the tech support is amazing. they really are there to help you.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm Just adding to the List...
and adding a suggestion for a few of the issues listed here in this thread so far

I'm Using the Holley Dominator..mods in Signature.

The Nitrous kit will happen soon....very soon.

100% of engine control goes thru the Holley
100% of Nitrous control will go thru the Holly...it can do up to 4 stages plus Purge... I'll be doing 2 stages plus purge..
My trans is a TCI 6x, which has its own controller.

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
- it does not work with ls1 factory gauges so if you want gauges you will spend $100 for each holley gauge you want. there is a guy who has 14 gauges so thats $1400 extra he spent on the gauges
Honestly, if you are going to buy this thing, you dont want the slow *** ls1 gauge cluster anyways...

I replaced every cluster gauge, + added a Trans temp gauge and a $300 Digital LED readout Trans Gear Gauge that reads CanBus for its data
and spent $1200

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
- I cant find a rhyme or reason for why the closed loop/learn sometimes just deactivates and reactivates itself
Try Checking your Fuel Modifiers... ECT..Coolant temp enrich%

Pretty Much anything that does not equate to 100% will turn off learning

Originally Posted by deion82
We keep blowing the 20amp fuse for the relay that supplies power to the fuel pump, injectors and coils.
You have too many things on that small 20 amp fuse..

secondly possibly also too small of wire which generates hear which will cause the fuse to blow as well

Each item you listed should have its own 20 amp fuse, or you sould have one larger fuse to take care of it.(preferably 3 individual fuses so you can troubleshoot when one has a problem...then it only blows the one fuse of the item that has issues making it obvious where to start looking)
Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

anyone else had their hp efi unit up and running. how would this run an all out drag car with powerglide with a ls3.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994z
anyone else had their hp efi unit up and running. how would this run an all out drag car with powerglide with a ls3.
There are quite a few of them out there running "all out drag cars".
Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two of the HP kits

My car is working great. went 10.00 first pass the tuning was a 10 mile drive on the streets of bowling green.
11 passes later went 9.66. No dyno just using the closed loop feedback.

Installing one on dads daily driver chevelle now. Had it powered up and everthing works perfect.

If you are looking for gauges just get the touch screen it is great. Don't even have the laptop in the car for other than downloading data and making tune up changes

Tim

Quick Reply: Holley hp and dominator efi ecu for LSX