PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why NOT to do mail order tunes - 66 rwhp gain inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewzpsu
I have had sensors go bad while tuning before and it just spikes lean once it hits a certain RPM. I honestly thought with such a high AFR, zero audible knock and zero knock on the scanner that my sensor had just taken a ****. In fact I've never seen an AFR that pegs the lean side of my wideband and still revs smoothly until this car.

I should have stopped it for sure. And if something would have happened because of that, thats why I have the business insurance that I never want to use.

I'm just happy that I could fix it, because thats how the car was driven for god knows how many WOT pulls.
That is not good, If your sensor craps out then how would you know what fueling is at WOT? Not a good practice to do full runs on a car with no WB.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have two back up sensors.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seen the same kind of thing on my corvette. Had it mail order tuned and drove it for a year. Finally got EFI Live and thought I would check it out and found that the car was running in the +10 range on the fuel trims "lean" and wide open was around 14 AFR. Pretty scary. I just started over with a stock tune and got the trims down to 0 and the WOT AFR to 12.9. Much safer and better mileage and everything. I'll never trust a mail order tune again.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Chuck
Hope its not the same chuck on CL and in houston. Do a search on him before you go there.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck
chuck anders? if so you need to do a search on him here and read the posts!!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

The thing I find really boring about this thread is the "Classic, I tune cars and know everything," crowd that doesn't pay to be a sponsor running their mouths with impunity.

If you think mail-order is going to be a silver bullet, then obviously you'll need to sign at least three disclaimer pages, including waiving hot coffee burns as well.

Not everyone has a LSx shop within their fingertips to perform onsite services.

Mail order is a two way street between the install and the tuner for sure. No need to demonize it.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

The morale of the story here is, don't let just anyone work on your car. YOU have to research and learn what they are doing! Make sure that your car is running properly before you go and start modifying it.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Disclaimer: I know nothing about cars, not a mechanic, nor a tuner. I drive my car that's it lol. But.....

Don't all motors run just slightly different? I mean, they don't ALL roll off the lot making XYZwhp. Some run alittle differently. So wouldn't a mail order tune be a statistical guess as to how the average car will react to said A/B/C mods? I mean you can say "95% of the cars I've tuned with XYZ mods needed these ABC values put into the tune"...What about the 5% whose cars runs slightly different? Those cars that simply aren't in the middle of the bell curve...they might require alittle tweaking.

You really need to have someone experienced there on the spot doing a street&dyno tune, monitoring all of the values and what's going on. Otherwise you're just making an educated guess as to how most cars with similar modifications run.

I'm not saying mail order tunes can't be dead on...but chances are w/o some sort of feedback, they likely won't be 100%. So you can either keep sending data back and forth and mailing your stuff with your tuner until it's right....or just go to a reputable shop and watch them do it in a few hours or less.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by squale iii
Disclaimer: I know nothing about cars, not a mechanic, nor a tuner. I drive my car that's it lol. But.....

Don't all motors run just slightly different? I mean, they don't ALL roll off the lot making XYZwhp. Some run alittle differently. So wouldn't a mail order tune be a statistical guess as to how the average car will react to said A/B/C mods? I mean you can say "95% of the cars I've tuned with XYZ mods needed these ABC values put into the tune"...What about the 5% whose cars runs slightly different? Those cars that simply aren't in the middle of the bell curve...they might require alittle tweaking.

You really need to have someone experienced there on the spot doing a street&dyno tune, monitoring all of the values and what's going on. Otherwise you're just making an educated guess as to how most cars with similar modifications run.

I'm not saying mail order tunes can't be dead on...but chances are w/o some sort of feedback, they likely won't be 100%. So you can either keep sending data back and forth and mailing your stuff with your tuner until it's right....or just go to a reputable shop and watch them do it in a few hours or less.
Wouldn't you think this same scenario would apply to factory cars? They all are close to the same, yet each one is slightly different. ALL of them have the same tune. Right? There's no one to provide feedback to the GM calibrators.

ALL of these cars and motors have a certain amount of adjustability built into them. We refer to this adjustability as fuel trims, and idle trims, and high and low octane spark, spark retard, and adaptive idle spark, and so on.

A good mail order tune, done by a very experienced tuner, based on CORRECT information relayed to them by the car owner or builder, should yeild a mail order tune that is AS CLOSE as a factory tune could be for a factory car.

Face it, NO FACTORY calibration is spot on for every car. They've all got some knock retard. The idle trims are off 10% or more. The WOT fueling is overly rich at best.

We recently finished a 427 GTO. I made a quick tune based off another 416 GTO with a very similar cam. Plugged in the VE table, idle airflow, and injector flow, along with the timing adjustments to the idle tables, HO/LO tables, etc, and the car fired up (in SD), and most all of the VE table was within +/- 5%. WOT fueling was about 12:1 with a pretty substantial dip to about 10.5:1 around 4000. Point is, overall it was VERY close. All built off another tune from a completely different car, different sized engine, different injectors, etc.

Point here is this; If the provided info is correct, and the tuner is experienced, the results are not typical of what the OP (Andrew) saw.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:34 PM
FormerVendor

Ed,this thread is every bit as hilaroius as you said.I'm glad i'm not a tuner,or i would probably be offended by some of the garbage in this thread.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Well, let me just say, I'm still having issues with the tune in my car with a small cam. I got a mail order tune from a reputable tuner here on tech. Or so I thought. He emailed me about 7 different tunes saying that would fix it. I sent him datalogging files on the car. He did get it to idle but that was about it. With that tune, Dyno'ed on a Dynojet, I put out 306 at the wheels. Pretty pathetic right? So, after spending 320 bucks on that tune, found out about a guy who did dyno tuning not far from my house. 400 dollars later, it still has issues. Its getting better and at least this guy is willing to work with me. He put it on his Mustang dyno and came up with 280 at the wheels on the mail tune. After an hour, he got power up to 330 at the wheels. Yeah, I said it. A 50 HP tune. To hell with ever getting anything else tuned by mail. Its crazy. No offense to anyone who does mail order tunes but I think there are just too many factors out there to properly tune a car without seeing it. Hell, I'm having trouble with it on a dyno! Anyway, just my opinion. No offense to anyone was intended.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Wouldn't you think this same scenario would apply to factory cars? They all are close to the same, yet each one is slightly different. ALL of them have the same tune. Right? There's no one to provide feedback to the GM calibrators.

ALL of these cars and motors have a certain amount of adjustability built into them. We refer to this adjustability as fuel trims, and idle trims, and high and low octane spark, spark retard, and adaptive idle spark, and so on.

A good mail order tune, done by a very experienced tuner, based on CORRECT information relayed to them by the car owner or builder, should yeild a mail order tune that is AS CLOSE as a factory tune could be for a factory car.

Face it, NO FACTORY calibration is spot on for every car. They've all got some knock retard. The idle trims are off 10% or more. The WOT fueling is overly rich at best.

We recently finished a 427 GTO. I made a quick tune based off another 416 GTO with a very similar cam. Plugged in the VE table, idle airflow, and injector flow, along with the timing adjustments to the idle tables, HO/LO tables, etc, and the car fired up (in SD), and most all of the VE table was within +/- 5%. WOT fueling was about 12:1 with a pretty substantial dip to about 10.5:1 around 4000. Point is, overall it was VERY close. All built off another tune from a completely different car, different sized engine, different injectors, etc.

Point here is this; If the provided info is correct, and the tuner is experienced, the results are not typical of what the OP (Andrew) saw.
Do you and Shawn use mail order tunes to tune your engines?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:03 PM
FormerVendor

Dude,i've seen alot of "reputable" tuners that can't tune a car properly in person.Not all tunes or even tuners are created equal.If you got a problem with a mail order tune-blame the tuner,not mail order tunes.Ed fixes so many tunes it's crazy.

I have seen Ed throw in a base tune in a new engine combo and the thing start up idle perfect and only pick up a slight amount on the dyno.His mail order tuning is better than most tuners dyno tuning.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1

I'm not comparing a mail order tune to a "factory" tune. I am well aware that most LS1's are conservatively tuned from the factory and can benefit from a custom tune alone. What I am saying is................................................ ...................Having a tuner there, on the spot, actively tuning your car will be able to get your car closer to perfection than a tune that you get in the mail (unless you send it back to them a few times and tweak it over and over.). I feel like active feedback (aka more information for the tuner) will net better results.

Last edited by squale iii; 06-06-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
Dude,i've seen alot of "reputable" tuners that can't tune a car properly in person.Not all tunes or even tuners are created equal.If you got a problem with a mail order tune-blame the tuner,not mail order tunes.Ed fixes so many tunes it's crazy.

I have seen Ed throw in a base tune in a new engine combo and the thing start up idle perfect and only pick up a slight amount on the dyno.His mail order tuning is better than most tuners dyno tuning.

I did not ask you guys those questions to make you moist or start a internet argument or whatever... One thing I am learning coming into the LSX game, its clickish and everybody has there ego.... I do not doubt your skill set, I just asked that to prove that you guys either tune or have a in house tuner whether its and employee or contractor that you hire out.... Again nobody is questioning you ability, my opinions of you guys are high.

But all of that other bullshit, pre set alliances and hostle tone, I m not the one bra......
Old 06-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed

I guess it just depends who your tuner is lol.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

This is a pretty silly question.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
This is a pretty silly question.
Watch ya mouth, I was not talking to you....
Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

Well I am talking to you.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Watch ya mouth, I was not talking to you....
But all of that other bullshit, pre set alliances and hostle tone, I m not the one bra......
Hey, interwebz thug,

Quick Reply: Why NOT to do mail order tunes - 66 rwhp gain inside!