PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why NOT to do mail order tunes - 66 rwhp gain inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(mail order tune < dyno tune) =< good tuner
Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Frost set me up from 4k miles away on an OLSD tune for my turbo build and its been damn near perfect. Depends on the tuner and the setup. Even a good tuner will **** up sometimes, its how they handle themselves after that point that sets them apart from the shitty tuners.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I want to see the mail order tune that was so bad. Your gains are not typical from tuning without something mechanical being wrong.
Dude, you act like you know something about this current situation with this tune in fact you know nothing. Man some of you guys are so close minded, I got a mailorder tune, which was in fact straight crap. I'll drop the dude's name too I don't care 1 bad ls1 tuning. He straight sucks at tuning. My ve tables were all over the place, short term fuel trims turned off??, catalytic conv overheating sensor off? Was detonating badly and I had a headgasket failure. Not to say all mailorder tunes are crap, I've heard nothing but good things from Frost.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Teching In

While were still on the subject of mail in tuners.
Has anyone heard of our done business with
Zac Fliss at SpeedSence Wrining? Out of San Antonio,
Tx. He sounds very knowlegable on the phone.

I have a 85 El Camino with a 05. 5.3 and 4l60e trans
that throwing a dtc P0134 & P0154. The engine isn't
modified any. But for hood and frame clearance I uesd
a 04, GTO LS1, and exhaust manifolds.

Not building a race car but want the codes cleared
and for it to run decent. Most of all want it to pass Calif's
CS smog test. Zac says he can fix the problem
with the 02's and it will pass.

Tired of throwing money at it.

Any thoughts????

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still plan on sending my PCM to Frost since up here in Montana we do not have the tuning community(I honestly thought we would have but since I have abandoned my Rotary engine lifestyle I have been very dissapointed nothing is available up here).

I will then take a road trip to the nearest state that offers credible LS1 tuning.....still on the look out.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jj62
While were still on the subject of mail in tuners.
Has anyone heard of our done business with
Zac Fliss at SpeedSence Wrining? Out of San Antonio,
Tx. He sounds very knowlegable on the phone.

I have a 85 El Camino with a 05. 5.3 and 4l60e trans
that throwing a dtc P0134 & P0154. The engine isn't
modified any. But for hood and frame clearance I uesd
a 04, GTO LS1, and exhaust manifolds.

Not building a race car but want the codes cleared
and for it to run decent. Most of all want it to pass Calif's
CS smog test. Zac says he can fix the problem
with the 02's and it will pass.

Tired of throwing money at it.

Any thoughts????

Thanks,
Joe
How close are you O2"s from the manifold?
Both those codes could be set to "Do not Report" and most likely will pass Ca's smog test, that way, but if they're having low activity, because they're too far downstream and running too cold, I'd move them. The 04 GTO PCM turns off the O2 heaters, after it warms up, you might want to pull the heater return wires from the PCM plug and ground them. They are on the Green (C2) connector pins # 52, 53, 72, and 74. If you're not running rear O2's most likely there will not be wires in pins 52 and 53. If you do this you'll need to get the DTC's for the heater codes set for "Do Not Report"
Old 06-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poconojoe
How close are you O2"s from the manifold?
Both those codes could be set to "Do not Report" and most likely will pass Ca's smog test, that way, but if they're having low activity, because they're too far downstream and running too cold, I'd move them. The 04 GTO PCM turns off the O2 heaters, after it warms up, you might want to pull the heater return wires from the PCM plug and ground them. They are on the Green (C2) connector pins # 52, 53, 72, and 74. If you're not running rear O2's most likely there will not be wires in pins 52 and 53. If you do this you'll need to get the DTC's for the heater codes set for "Do Not Report"
I started doing some testing on my own. Pulled a 02 and turned the switch to the "On" position the sensor did not heat on either bank. I couldn't find my volt meter. So I used a test light and I had a light with the black wire and the pink both sides. Talked with Zac, he wants me to test with a volt meter for readings before I send it to him. I'll give your ideas a try and thanks for the help.
BTW the 02" are about 6-8" from the exhaust manifolds.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

I started doing some testing on my own. Pulled a 02 and turned the switch to the "On" position the sensor did not heat on either bank. I couldn't find my volt meter. So I used a test light and I had a light with the black wire and the pink both sides. Talked with Zac, he wants me to test with a volt meter for readings before I send it to him. I'll give your ideas a try and thanks for the help.
BTW the 02" are about 6-8" from the exhaust manifolds.
IIRC the PCM doesn't turn on the O2 heaters until the motor is running.
6-8" should give no problems at all, I've always been told if they're heated O2's, that they need to be within 18" of the head flange, the older non-heated ones seem to need to be in the manifold itself, to work properly
Old 06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poconojoe
IIRC the PCM doesn't turn on the O2 heaters until the motor is running.
6-8" should give no problems at all, I've always been told if they're heated O2's, that they need to be within 18" of the head flange, the older non-heated ones seem to need to be in the manifold itself, to work properly
I didn't know that I will try tomorrow and let you know.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2slow2flurry-ous
Dude, you act like you know something about this current situation with this tune in fact you know nothing. Man some of you guys are so close minded, I got a mailorder tune, which was in fact straight crap. I'll drop the dude's name too I don't care 1 bad ls1 tuning. He straight sucks at tuning. My ve tables were all over the place, short term fuel trims turned off??, catalytic conv overheating sensor off? Was detonating badly and I had a headgasket failure. Not to say all mailorder tunes are crap, I've heard nothing but good things from Frost.
I have a tune from this guy so I'm wondering if my tune is similar. I have some threads going about running rough and missing after the tune. However, My MAF was dirty and it seems to run better after cleaning that. so far.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Started the engine with the 02 out and grounded, it never heated.

BTW, not sure about the do not report you mentioned. But if that was the
case wouldn't my MIL/Service light be off?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Banned

Started the engine with the 02 out and grounded, it never heated.

BTW, not sure about the do not report you mentioned. But if that was the
case wouldn't my MIL/Service light be off?
If its set to do not report, it shouldn't even show up if you scan it
Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, vendors and posters alike have made their points. Yes the OP made a booboo by making pulls on a car that should have never seen WOT without major tweaking. It's been well noted and documented in this thread, so leave it alone.

Second, not all mail order tunes are created equal. I just rebuilt a motor that I believe failed due to a HORRIBLE mail order tune from a sponsor here. But then again I've seen tunes like Frosts that were damn near dead on.

Moral of the story. Use your common sense, and do some research if mail order tuning is what you'd like to use. The information is right in front of your faces on who to trust with your engine on mail order PCM tuning.

Quick Reply: Why NOT to do mail order tunes - 66 rwhp gain inside!