Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Dominator EFI on LSX Platform

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ForcfedGN
I was in Bowling Green on Tues. to meet with holley. The boxes are ready now. I sent Bryan at LME a Holley set up for their new dyno. LME will be dealing them as well. Hope this helps.
1/2 correct. HP ECU's are already shipping and Dominator's will be ready in a few weeks. Glad to help if anyone has technical questions.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Moore Racecraft
1/2 correct. HP ECU's are already shipping and Dominator's will be ready in a few weeks. Glad to help if anyone has technical questions.
Great first post, Dennis. Welcome aboard.

Keith (ForcfdGN) PM'd me this morning with this same info. Keith was adamant that he was not trying to step on anyones toes as I made it clear that I didn't want to waste his time because we are already working with you. Doug at Holley spoke highly of you as well. Like he said, it benefits everyone involved that the product roll out smoothly and that us pioneers be happy. Specially due to the exposure that a high visibility build will bring. I was very happy to hear that the folks at Holley are onboard here as well and are following the threads on the 2 forums. I have a VERY good feeling about this product and if it works half as good as it sounds, it'll be twice as good as anything else out there right now.

Steve (LS2Formula) pulled the BigStuff 3 out yesterday and has started the process of laying out the harness and wiring. By the way, those universal gauges are nothing short of badass! This entire system seems very well laid out and thought threw.

Support so far has been much better than I could have hoped. I was very concerned initially that we were going to be out on island all by ourselves with one coconut tree.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Launching!

can't wait to see what this system can do,sounds like it's going to be good!!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Restricted User

Steve was in the process of pinning out the connector today and getting familiar with the I/O configurator in the software. I'll try to get some interior pictures up with the wiring and some screen shots of what he was dealing with today in the next couple of days. He said he is going to come up with a panel with some inputs and outputs for easy access down the road. This is a street car with full interior though so it's all going to be stashed away behind the dash. The good thing is that in these fbodies, when you get rid of the A/C, airbags and stuff, you can hide 2 adult bodies up in there.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

98z28cobrakiller, didn't you also have issues with the BS3 on one of your injector drivers and when you tried to tell Big stuff about it they didn't want to hear it and ended up charging you to fix it when it was their problem because they didn't fix it the first time?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
98z28cobrakiller, didn't you also have issues with the BS3 on one of your injector drivers and when you tried to tell Big stuff about it they didn't want to hear it and ended up charging you to fix it when it was their problem because they didn't fix it the first time?
You get 2 different stories all tangled up. The problem that we had with the BigStuff 3 was that the WBO2 sensor would freak out at WOT about 1.5 sec into the run. I shouldn't say freak out, it would go up to 15.44:1 AFR and flatline for most of the pass with spikes of accurate readings here and there. We replaced the sensor 3 times and it still did it. We sent the computer in to get checked out and they said that it checked out fine, charged $125 and shipped it back.

The injector problem was the AEM EMS on BonnarLS1's car. ECM was sending ground to the #3 injector as soon as you put power to it (holding injector wide open). They fixed it and shipped it back no charge. They reluctantly paid freight both ways.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Restricted User

This build will be getting the HP EFI setup. He ordered it yesterday. Steve's Dominator should be here any day now.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-afr-225s.html
Old 11-05-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

very cool cobrakiller, ive been wondering about this system since i heard about it awhile back.

def subscribing to see how this comes out.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Restricted User

Got the Dominator yesterday. Steve hopes to have it up and running by Tuesday night.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since your changing cams...would you mind sharing the specs such as lsa or even the part number of your old one, what rpm did it run to? ...Watching the videos I love the idle ..it didnt seem very lopey,which is what im looking for. Truly enjoyed reading the posts , I know it takes alot of work behind the scenes, but those days at the track are worth it...great job
Old 11-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by euroman
since your changing cams...would you mind sharing the specs such as lsa or even the part number of your old one, what rpm did it run to? ...Watching the videos I love the idle ..it didnt seem very lopey,which is what im looking for. Truly enjoyed reading the posts , I know it takes alot of work behind the scenes, but those days at the track are worth it...great job
I have 3 build threads going right now (my black camaro, Steve's black Firebird, and Joe's navy blue firebird). Not sure which vehicle you are referring too. I'm pretty sure that the cam specs are listed on all three build threads. Regardless, this thread is about the Holley Dominator / HP Engine Management Systems so let's not get off topic here. Feel free to PM me or post up in the corresponding build thread.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Restricted User

Dennis (Moore Racecraft) sent us over a base tune. The way that the system works is by using a "global folder" with each part of the tune being a separate file within that folder. So you have a fuel file, spark file, idle file, etc. They all reside within the global folder. When you open up the software, you just open the global folder and it grabs all the files automatically. Just thought that I would mention that as it is different than just one file containing the entire tune as is commonly done.

So we were all set to fire up last night. Flashed the firmware to the latest and greatest, sync'd up the tune to the Dominator. Key On primed the pump for the specified 4 seconds and then started cranking over. Nothing. Motor would just crank and crank. Started checking around and determined that the injectors and the coils were not firing. Also noticed that the pump wouldn't come back on once we started cranking her over. The injectors would get power while the pump was priming but then lost power as soon as we would start cranking.

Called Dennis and he started having us run thru some stuff to check out. First thing that we had to get him was a log so he could see what was going on. Steve's Wnidows 7 laptop could not get the logger working. Went and stole his sons WinXP laptop and set up all the software on it and then we were able to get the log working. Sent the log to Dennis but it was inconclusive as to what was happening besides the voltage dropping into the 9's while cranking over. I'm going to check to see where my voltage on my car goes while cranking over just to see if that's abnormal.

Our biggest concern was that there was an issue with the cam and/or crank signal. He switched to a 58X crank wheel and 4X cam sensor for this go around as it is supposed to be more accurate and the Holley supports it. Putting an external wheel on this thing is NOT an option. Because the coils, injectors and pump are all energized by the same signal to a relay, we figured that we would try to trigger the relay directly. Put 12v to the relay and it fired right up. Once it's running, we could disconnect the direct power and it would stay on. This was a big relief as he wasn't looking forward to having to chase down a relluctor wheel issue which means pulling the motor out and apart.

So that's about as far as we got last night. Push comes to shove, he can hot wire the relay to the key and it will work but it would be nice to know what's causing the issue.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Restricted User

Apparently something in the distribution block for the power was causing the problem and pulling a full extra volt. Steve went straight to the battery with the starter wire and it fires right up. The signal wire now reads 10.8v while cranking and that seems to be enough. Ready to start tuning.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Restricted User

Holley Gauges

What lurkes beneath the dash

The Dominator is back behind all that.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Pardon my french, but that's a friggin bird's nest. My OCD will never allow that LOL.

As long as you can work on it, good for you

How's the tuning coming along? And the gauge's look good.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Pardon my french, but that's a friggin bird's nest. My OCD will never allow that LOL.

As long as you can work on it, good for you

How's the tuning coming along? And the gauge's look good.
it's deceiving. There are about 3 layers of wiring even though the picture looks like one plate of spaghetti. The terminal strips add to it as well but they are necessary in order to be able to quickly add and remove inputs and outputs.

No more tuning until he gets a chance to get the interior back together.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

With that wiring deal.. I'd tune it with the dash off in case you need to get at something LOL

I'm just really picky about stuff like that, as long as it makes sense to those involved run with it, you have a good handle on what's going on and that's all that matters.

I'm very intersted in how the system works out. With the way the files are structured, it should be easy to get the car to idle, etc. I'd think. And, it's nice to be able to just touch one portion of the tune by touching just that portion's file.. I like that. Less of a chance of making a change where ya don't really want it.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
With that wiring deal.. I'd tune it with the dash off in case you need to get at something LOL

I'm just really picky about stuff like that, as long as it makes sense to those involved run with it, you have a good handle on what's going on and that's all that matters.

I'm very intersted in how the system works out. With the way the files are structured, it should be easy to get the car to idle, etc. I'd think. And, it's nice to be able to just touch one portion of the tune by touching just that portion's file.. I like that. Less of a chance of making a change where ya don't really want it.
We fired it up and it ran and idled which is what we were waiting for before putting the dash back in. Getting the dash out isn't horrible as it's pretty much gutted. There's no A/C ducting or anything.

As for the files being segmented, it's still seamless. In other words, once you have the base global folder put together, you would never know that there are different parts to it. You can still screw up something else by accident.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Restricted User

Got the dash back in. We ran into a problem with the wiring for the fans. Something with the fan relays was causing the computer to freak out. He put the fans on a switch and it's working good now.

Hopefully we can get some tuning in the near future. The only thing that the auto tune thing seems to be struggling with is idle. I know that widebands aren't real accurate at idle and since this thing depends on it to do it's correction, it seems to be over compensating. Now that it's really ready, I'll get the idle sorted out quick as soon as I can get over there. No big deal.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

i have just decided to never use any aftermarket system, LMAO! i would loose my mind with something like that!

but kudos to you my friend, lol

looks great! get that beast running!

i do love the ams location

Quick Reply: Holley Dominator EFI on LSX Platform