PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Vehicle Light

Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Vehicle Light

What are the causes for the "Service Vehicle Light" to stay solid? I have read it can be as simple as a bulb burned out, but what else could it be? I bought the car about a year ago with the light on, and the owner before me who bought the car in 2006 said the light was on when they bought it. So its been on for about 5 years now and I just want to figure out why it is on.

I understand that a OBDII scanner wont help any from what I have read online. I used my Solus scanner when I threw a P0300 code but that was for the Service Engine Light.

I am at a loss to getting this light to shut off. Will a GM dealership be able to help? And if so, what will the charge be? I have checked all the bulbs on the car. Two marker lights were out but the light is still solid on my dash.

The car has alot of mods, but from what I have read its not engine related its body related??
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Pic of light.
Attached Thumbnails Service Vehicle Light-168161_495559475962_536475962_6193111_2421974_n.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

I would think that the scanner at Advance would still read that. I would give it a shot... 5 years cheesuz man.

Are all of your lights working?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Ive owned the car since last April, so Ive had to deal with the light for less than a year but its been long enough and now I want it goneeee lol. Ive never had Advance scan it the one in town has idiots I went to school with that dont know much about cars let alone how to use a scanner.

I may try to use my dad's scanner again. Its not a cheapo one like advance uses. Ive replaced a few bulbs on the car since I bought it when they burn out but that hasnt turned the light off. Since the car is parked for the winter in my garage just today I went around the whole car checking the lights and found one of the rear side marker lights out and one of the front side marker lights out. Replaced them both and the light is still on..
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

I just used my dad's scanner on the TA and may have found some culprits to the light. I checked all areas for codes, and finally in the Air Bag section I found some:

B0026 Driver Front Deployment Loop Open
B1001 Option Configuration Error
U1301 Class 2 Data High or Low Volts
U1040 Loss of EBCM Communications
U1096 Loss of IPC Communications

I tried clearing the codes, and it looks like all have cleared except for B0026. That code seems to be staying current. Any insite on what happened back in 2006 for the light to come on? Are all of these codes related? Shortly after I bought the car the steering wheel controls stopped working, are any of these codes for that?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Hey did you try the reset procedure for when you get your oil change? Just asking cause it says service vehical light. And newer fbodys set that light. Also those air bag lights should only trip your air bag light on your dash and stay constant on if a hard fault code.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Ya know, I did an A4 to M6 swap and that light came on. I figured it was because of the car thinking it's an auto when I have a manual in there. Now that you mention it though, I took out the airbag modules while I was in there (the one under the armrest) and that could be why it's on.

My HPTuners didn't catch that code though.

Any idea how to fix it?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stangtrader
Hey did you try the reset procedure for when you get your oil change? Just asking cause it says service vehical light. And newer fbodys set that light. Also those air bag lights should only trip your air bag light on your dash and stay constant on if a hard fault code.

Has nothing to do with the reset procedure. I have an "Oil Change" light that pops on every 3k miles. Im certain the vehicle light is on because of these air bag codes. Now I need to find out whats up with my air bag system but I dont have access to a Tech2 scanner..
Old 02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stippy17
I just used my dad's scanner on the TA and may have found some culprits to the light. I checked all areas for codes, and finally in the Air Bag section I found some:

B0026 Driver Front Deployment Loop Open
B1001 Option Configuration Error
U1301 Class 2 Data High or Low Volts
U1040 Loss of EBCM Communications
U1096 Loss of IPC Communications

I tried clearing the codes, and it looks like all have cleared except for B0026. That code seems to be staying current. Any insite on what happened back in 2006 for the light to come on? Are all of these codes related? Shortly after I bought the car the steering wheel controls stopped working, are any of these codes for that?
The 1998-2002 F-car has 4 modules that communicate on the Class 2 serial bus: PCM, EBCM/ABS, IPC, SDM/airbag.

From your DTC's, it seems to me that the airbag module may have failed and is taking the serial bus with it (so the EBCM and IPC can't communicate with the PCM).

If you disconnect the SDM from the bus (unplug the connector from it), see if those U codes go away.

This is my immediate thought $0.02 without consulting the service manual... if you look in the SM you may find something slightly different, but similar.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

driver deployment loop will set if the air bag is unplugged or if the clockspring has failed. does the horn work? if not its probably a clock spring... there is a way to test this.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Car ever been wrecked??
Old 05-09-2011, 04:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviving via my usage of the search feature! LOL

Ok so I recently installed a momo wheel and removed the clock spring while i was in there and detached the airbag light and all was good for about 6 weeks now until i just removed the air bag module under the armrest while taking the sound deadening out. Well, now my service vehicle light is on and the dealer ran the scanner and said it's airbag related.

Now since i don't know what all other items can trip this light, i'm sure as hell not going to remove it as well. How do i get this light to go out? Dealer said he can't clear it when i asked him if he could. This sucks because i Just had the cluster out and apart to remove abs and trac control lights

OP, did you have any luck or are you still dealing with the light??

Last edited by PRAY HRD; 05-13-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure on this vehicle, but on many, if you remove an airbag warning light, you trigger a warning buzzer that beeps at you instead.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Default B0026 Driver Front Deployment Loop Open

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...-obd-codes.php sounds like car had been in wreck at one time. check for a damaged or missing sensor in the left front of your car for the air bag system. may even be unpluged. you have to have a tech 2 to test it. dealer should be able to check if your dad scanner wont work.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by skypuppy99
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...-obd-codes.php sounds like car had been in wreck at one time. check for a damaged or missing sensor in the left front of your car for the air bag system. may even be unpluged. you have to have a tech 2 to test it. dealer should be able to check if your dad scanner wont work.
Well as i said, i swapped steering wheels so no more d/s airbag or clock spring and the airbag light was on. I removed said light and on a later date removed the airbag module under the center console and now service vehicle light is on. That's the cause but can it be tuned out without it coming right back on again? And what else can trigger that light? Anything in the engine or trans able to trip that?

Thanks for the reply guys!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
Well as i said, i swapped steering wheels so no more d/s airbag or clock spring and the airbag light was on. I removed said light and on a later date removed the airbag module under the center console and now service vehicle light is on. That's the cause but can it be tuned out without it coming right back on again? And what else can trigger that light? Anything in the engine or trans able to trip that?

Thanks for the reply guys!
yea did you look at the link? any one could set your light. put your pass sensor you took out would be good start.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 PM
9 Second Club

Well it said for B bodies so i didn't read it no. LOL I'll go back and take a look at it again. The dealer told me he couldn't do it so maybe when i get it tuned by a speed shop they can? And your last sentence, i really didn't understand much. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Your trying to tune out b body codes, right. Well I am not a Turner but I don't think anyone can tune out your light for your antiloc brakes. The dealer could fix your light but he can't just turn your light out with out fixing it. Even if he'd try to your light would come back on because you removed ABS parts.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
Reviving via my usage of the search feature! LOL

Ok so I recently installed a momo wheel and removed the clock spring while i was in there and detached the airbag light and all was good for about 6 weeks now until i just removed the air bag module under the armrest while taking the sound deadening out. Well, now my service vehicle light is on and the dealer ran the scanner and said it's airbag related.

Now since i don't know what all other items can trip this light, i'm sure as hell not going to remove it as well. How do i get this light to go out? Dealer said he can't clear it when i asked him if he could. This sucks because i Just had the cluster out and apart to remove abs and trac control lights

OP, did you have any luck or are you still dealing with the light??
i also just recently removed my abs inop & air bag light from the cluster and now the service vehicle light is on all the time. could removing the cluster light trip the service vehicle light?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default skippey did you resolve this issuse?

99 firebird service vehical light not the SES service engine soon.
I’ve owned this car since Jan-2001 never once sean this service vehical light.

Recently at cold start up (never after car is warmed up) I’ve observed the air bag light (on dash) come on then blink a few times
Then turn off car did this for maybe two or three days now I have the service vehical light on.
This is what I done so far
1.I’ve reset the change oil light.
2.tested the horn by pressing on the steering wheel pad it works fine.

next I'll try the key on and press the throttle 3 times.

Edit: the abs inop/brake light comes on then off for the last 4 years an I’ve done nothing
To resolve that light (eventually I’ll get the ABS module rebuilt) this abs light did’nt create this service vehical light.

Edit2: it has been extremely cold latey like 20 degrees colder that previous winters.

edit 3: I've had a front blicker DLRL broken for a couple of weeks (all other bulbs are fine) I don't suspect this bulb because the service vehical just came on not two weeks ago.

I am suspecting a loose heat shield (I'm thinking it's around the fuel tank muffler area) that has been rattleing up against the body it has been loose for maybe six months but has recently become very noisey upon cold start then goe's away.
Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 01-08-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Vehicle Light