PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speed density tuning how do u like it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default speed density tuning how do u like it?

recently had my cam only 02 camaro speed density tuned feels good throttle response seems alittle more snappy over maf if ur running sd how do u like it?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

both my ls cars are so yeah i like it pretty well
Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what about the return to idle? my return is always dropping to 600 or sticking at 1300 or so
Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once it was dialed in, my SD tune was perfect... zero issues, amazing mpg, sharp throttle responce. I never bothered putting the maf back on
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

I had mine tuned sd this past weekend out of neccessity since my maf was screwed up. I love it so far.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this on cars that are daily driven in all different weather conditions? Or mostly cars only brought out on nice days? I have wondered about a SD tune over a MAF tune but heard they can be picky about weather, is this true? My car is a dedicated daily driver is why I ask.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am very happy with my SD tune, the only thing I notice is during the october, an november it is a bit of a beast on cold starts. Other then that it is great..
Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Since my SD tune was by me on my daily driver, done properly with a lot of time and no shortcuts, its perfect in all weather conditions... that said, you can NOT expect a tuner to do that kind of tune on your car. I have months of logging and tweaks. A. Tuner can not spend that kind of time on one car
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
Since my SD tune was by me on my daily driver, done properly with a lot of time and no shortcuts, its perfect in all weather conditions... that said, you can NOT expect a tuner to do that kind of tune on your car. I have months of logging and tweaks. A. Tuner can not spend that kind of time on one car
this is perfect. any of the concerns other people have put up are relatively easily solved tuning issues. everything the op noticed is the way it is. a well tuned ve car is just fine.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this on cars that are daily driven in all different weather conditions? Or mostly cars only brought out on nice days? I have wondered about a SD tune over a MAF tune but heard they can be picky about weather, is this true? My car is a dedicated daily driver is why I ask.
I've had my self SD tuned car as a daily driver for just about 2 years now (June of 2009) and I can say that there are absolutely no problems whatsoever due to weather. Sure I had to make minor adjustments here and there, but those were because of mods I was adding.

And this car is in New England, where in the winter it's in the 20s and dry while in the summer it's in the 90s and 80% humidity. With over 70* change in temperature I had no problems. That's where the IAT sensor comes it, it adjusts fueling and spark based on air temperature.

Now if you moved from the beach to Denver in 5000' altitude it will probably need a change, but temperature alone is not going to affect it that much if at all.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by redtan
Now if you moved from the beach to Denver in 5000' altitude it will probably need a change, but temperature alone is not going to affect it that much if at all.
depends.
if you somehow hit the same cells when tuning and had already tuned it, then you wouldnt have any issues.
OR
if you smoothed the VE table visually, after it was dialed in very well, even though you never hit those cells, it would still run great.. maybe not perfect, but the margin of error would be similar to the error between "identical" MAFs.

in other words, a properly tuned car can drive across the USA from the desert of AZ over the rocky mountains and into the muggy LA swap then to the rainy/sunny Florida weather without a hitch.

by its very nature, its POSSIBLE to have better throttle response then a primarily-MAF setup... but that doesnt mean you will unless you spend alot of time dialing it in properly.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

still run better than a carb! a carb is not only no maf, it is no sensors at all, and always in open loop.....

plenty of road trippin carb cars over the years.....

fuel injection is cool.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Will the engine return to idle faster with an SD tune over a maf setup?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Smile

Originally Posted by Plaugher4
That is down to the tune,
and is same for both, sd or maffed.
It is something that would need adjusting to individual taste.
Throttle Cracker and Follower tables (or HP-T equivalent) in a factory tune allow for the rpm to drop reasonably quickly to 1500rpm or so and then slowly thereafter to commanded idle.

The bigger the cam the more this is needed as a fast rpm drop/return straight to commanded idle can cause rpm to undershoot and the engine may stumble down below idle or even cut-out.
It takes time to get this right for personal taste and also what the engine needs.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
my car is a DD, and its also SD tuned. never had a problem with weather. ran perfect everywhere i went. from MN-TX. and it was tuned here in OK. I gotta say i love SD tunes.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car returns to idle perfectly fine. i dont have any problems at all with that
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

Who tuned yours? After some trouble shooting last night chasing a issue thats already cost me about $400 in parts, I'm thinking my MAF took a ****. So I'm seriously considering dropping it & goin SD instead of buying another MAF & then paying for a tune as well.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

As mentioned, it has nothing to do with the presence of not of a MAF. There are tables that control that. They also control how much RPM drop off there is between shifts, how well the car holds the RPM between shifts for smoother shifting, etc. Personally, these driveability tables are some of the harder ones to perfect vs fueling and airflow tables which are not subjective, only mathematical.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick responce and answering my question
Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Who tuned yours? After some trouble shooting last night chasing a issue thats already cost me about $400 in parts, I'm thinking my MAF took a ****. So I'm seriously considering dropping it & goin SD instead of buying another MAF & then paying for a tune as well.
a buddy of mine did the tune, he's no longer living here. but he did a damn good job, thats for sure.

Quick Reply: speed density tuning how do u like it?