Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

annoyance with local tune shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool annoyance with local tune shop

i have an 02 trans am A4. only mods so far are hooker long tubes, slp lid. i called a local shop to get a tune done and asked if the diablo tuner would work. the manager told me that diablo handheld won't be able to help tune the engine, and he's trying to get me to come in and pay 450 for a dyno and then 300-400 for a custom tune, but said that it probably won't work on the first try and it can take up to 6 or 7 times before it's right at 300-400 a pop. Is he full of ****?
Old 05-20-2011, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yes, absolutely!

can use the predator to tune that, for getting the basics done... and I can do a custom tune for it for ya for about 1/3 of that...

wow, that guy's NUTS....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Teching In

would i have to send my pcm to you? cause i would have to buy another pcm as a backup if i do.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

6 or 7 tries to dial in an f-body with longtubes and a lid? Maybe he has no logging software?
He should pull a Predator out of the box and start datalogging
Old 05-20-2011, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chronix2121
would i have to send my pcm to you? cause i would have to buy another pcm as a backup if i do.
No, you export a tune from the Predator, email it to him with a datalog, and he can dial it in, usually in 1 or 2 attempts without ever seeing the car
Old 05-20-2011, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yep, what Mike said ^ ^ ^....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 05-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Teching In

that does sound alot better than spending what he wanted to charge me. just gotta buy a Predator and then i will email you and get a custom tune set up. thanks for the quick response.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by chronix2121
that does sound alot better than spending what he wanted to charge me. just gotta buy a Predator and then i will email you and get a custom tune set up. thanks for the quick response.
np man, you're welcome...

marylandspeed.com has the best deal on 'em.. $279, and free shipping...

also, you have to make sure you get the pc interface kit for it (sold separately)... you need that to be able to connect the predator to your Windows PC in order to download recorded data logs and import/export tune files for custom tuning...

they charge $30 for the interface kit with you buy it at the same time as the predator...