Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check this $#i+ out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check this $#i+ out!!!

I put a set of heads on the car and now the fuel pump will not activate unless I have one of my snap on scanners hooked to the car. I can hear the fuel pump activate and the car will start and run fine but as soon as the scanner is removed it kills the fuel pump. If the scanner is not hooked up and I try to crank the car the fuel pump does NOT acitvate. Leave the key on, hook the scanner up and whalla, the fuel pump imediately begins to run.

NOW, when I put the heads on the car I took the two grounds at the back of the drivers side head and ground them to the SAME bolt instead of bolting each to a different ground as GM did. I checked and found that I have good resistance to that ground but it is the ONLY thing I can think of that would be different.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue before?

Has anyone else ever ground both wires to the same bolt on the back of the drivers side head?

Is the fact that I have both of them ground to the same spot instead of the two seperate spots that GM originally ground them an issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be three grounds on the back of the heads.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^^this times 1000
Old 12-28-2011, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On the drivers head to add. I always put three to one because its freaking impossible to get my big damn hand down there.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
On the drivers head to add. I always put three to one because its freaking impossible to get my big damn hand down there.
Yeah, I had to lay my chest on the engine and reach down from the top to get those suckers back on.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea bud, i think you missed a ground, theres 3 of em back there..did this same exact thing when i pulled the wire out of the eyelet for the pcm ground...your basically just completing the ground through the ALDL and will eventually burn your scanner out.

ie since then re routed that wire to a more accessable ground location..
Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Just to add, FWIW, I remember now that I reattached the passenger side head ground from underneath the car, but my headers were removed.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

Thank you gentlemen. Turns out that I did in fact put all three grounds back on but only fealt two as one of the eyelets had snapped off. From what I can tell it was just old and deteriorated. I remembered thinking to myself when I was putting that one back on that it looked bad and I should replace it but trying to remember that mess from one weekend to another........ well, you know. I guess that is what pen and paper are for. lol. At any rate, I found it about an hour after I posted this. I would still like to thank all of you for your help and hope that the new year is good to each of you. Thank you again.