PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing 7 codes......where should i start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwing 7 codes......where should i start?

Hello everyone, its been awhile since I've had time to work on my car. Holidays ect...... I recently installed all the parts in my sig and i am now working on passing smog. I scanned the pcm with the tech 2 we have at school and she threw 7 codes i havnt had a chance to get the car in the air yet so i just wanted to get opinions.....

p0133 o2 slow response b1 s2
p0137 o2 circuit low voltage b1 s1
p0138 o2 circuit high voltage b1 s2
p0141 o2 heater performanc b1 s2
p0430 catalyst system low efficiency b2
p0443 evap purge soleniod control circuit
p1133 o2 insufficient switching b1 s1

i know that the p430 means i most likely need to replace the cat. what about the other codes, is it bad o2's, is my ecm or pcm trippin out? i dont have a problem replacing ALL the o2 sensors, i just want to make sure im going to be putting my money in the right place.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

the car in your sig is what you're talking about?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ggino85
Hello everyone, its been awhile since I've had time to work on my car. Holidays ect...... I recently installed all the parts in my sig and i am now working on passing smog. I scanned the pcm with the tech 2 we have at school and she threw 7 codes i havnt had a chance to get the car in the air yet so i just wanted to get opinions.....

p0133 o2 slow response b1 s2most likely a bad HEGO
p0137 o2 circuit low voltage b1 s1this one could be a couple of things. check for vacuum leaks, and check for exhaust leaks before the sensor. this one could also trip the p0133.
p0138 o2 circuit high voltage b1 s2this one could be bad sensor, bad cat.
p0141 o2 heater performanc b1 s2this is the heater circuit for the HEGOs. more often than not, this is a bad sensor. this code combined with the others for this sensor, would make me toss a new one in before doing anything else.
p0430 catalyst system low efficiency b2this one could very likely be a bad cat. although it's on the other bank, i'd handle the o2 sensors first.
p0443 evap purge soleniod control circuitreplace your charcoal canister/purge valve assembly.
p1133 o2 insufficient switching b1 s1possible dirty or bad mass airflow sensor, possible vacuum leak, and possible bad o2 sensor.

i know that the p430 means i most likely need to replace the cat. what about the other codes, is it bad o2's, is my ecm or pcm trippin out? i dont have a problem replacing ALL the o2 sensors, i just want to make sure im going to be putting my money in the right place.
did these codes all pop at once, or have you been running with the CEL on for a bit? what modifications have you done? any computer tunes?

check all of your grounds. it seems a bit fishy that so many o2 related codes would come up at once.
if you did a tune, or other modification, change it back, and see what happens.

hope some of this helped......
Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Launching!

1ltcap, your post was very helpfull thank you!

yeah im talking about the car in my sig, sorry i didnt specify.

heres the story on the car,

i traded my 99' silverado i had for this 98' trans am....the trans am had a blown headgasket when i got (the previous owner told me about it). my intention was to just check everything out, replace the headgasket and enjoy the car...you know how that goes. i ended up with everything in my sig lol (car had the comp cam in it already).

No it did not throw all these codes at once and i'm glad you reminded me of that. tomorrow at school i will delete the codes and see which ones comes back first.....the p0443 came on almost emmediately after i did all the work. Yes i have been driving back and forth from school for about two months. i have not done any tuning to it yet, the previous owner said something about it having a street tune for the cam. I dont know how honest he was being...should i see if i can reflash the pcm to the stock tune with the tech 2?

i will also check the grounds.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

1ltcap, your post was very helpfull thank you!

yeah im talking about the car in my sig, sorry i didnt specify.

heres the story on the car,

i traded my 99' silverado i had for this 98' trans am....the trans am had a blown headgasket when i got (the previous owner told me about it). my intention was to just check everything out, replace the headgasket and enjoy the car...you know how that goes. i ended up with everything in my sig lol (car had the comp cam in it already).

No it did not throw all these codes at once and i'm glad you reminded me of that. tomorrow at school i will delete the codes and see which ones comes back first.....the p0443 came on almost emmediately after i did all the work. Yes i have been driving back and forth from school for about two months. i have not done any tuning to it yet, the previous owner said something about it having a street tune for the cam. I dont know how honest he was being...should i see if i can reflash the pcm to the stock tune with the tech 2?

i will also check the grounds.
i'm not too sure i'd revert to stock tune just yet.

the p0443 is a purge control code. what the purge valve does, is to allow the vapors stored in the charcoal canister to be pulled into the engine. if it were to stick open, be commanded open, or short to power, and remain open, this could create what would appear to be a vacuum leak to the computer. it would also seriously mess up the readings of the o2 sensors because of this.
the only code in that list that could not possibly be caused by a vacuum leak, would be the one for the o2 heater.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Evap solenoid is probably unplugged.

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8705.php

The other codes are possibly due to your cam. Not sure, as they're typical for long tube headers, but I see you don't have them in yet. I can't remember the last time I tuned a car with a cam and no headers, so I can't say for sure that's the reason, but it could very well be the cam.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

i hadn't thought about the cam......but then the cam couldn't/wouldn't cause a heater circuit code, or the evap code. you are also right in that it could be unplugged too.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the blown headgasket sent antifreeze down the exhaust then go buy new O2's they don't like antifreeze at all neither do converters. Also check for power to the O2 heater could have blown the fuse.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Launching!

thanks for the replies everyone! today at class was mostly lecture but i did have a quick second to throw the scanner on the car and delete the codes, i also started the diagnostic procedure that edcmat posted a link of (thanks ed). the soleniod opened up to 50% so im going to start step 3 tomorrow.

flame, the blown head was sending coolant down one of the cylinders. so much so that one of the piston heads was bright and shinny like it had never been used! all the pistons are fairly new (.010 oversize) but all the other 7 had some carbon build up on them.... i will get new o2's asap.

heres a link to the thread about my rebuild, its a long thread lol. in the first post theres pictures and you can clearly see what cylinder was getting coolant in it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html

Last edited by ggino85; 01-26-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Launching!

update....the purge soleniod and harness are ok i think, i checked the amps at the pcm harness c1 pin 76 and it is within spec, less than .75a but not 0.

somthing wierd happened today, i replaced the passenger side drl/blinker socket, i had the infamous t/a burnt socket. after replacing the socket (which i did lastnight, didnt drive it till today) i started the car this morning and the SES light is off? i didnt think much of it cause i figured it would come back on after driving, the p0443 code came back emmediately on startup after clearing codes a few times. well after driving too and from school it has not came back on yet. i scanned the car when i was at school and there is still an o2 code which i was expecting with what flame mentioned about burning coolant. the p0443 code was stored but it was not set any of the cycles that were run after the drl/blinker was replaced. could replacing the socket have anything to do with the evap purge soleniod circiut?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

update....the purge soleniod and harness are ok i think, i checked the amps at the pcm harness c1 pin 76 and it is within spec, less than .75a but not 0.

somthing wierd happened today, i replaced the passenger side drl/blinker socket, i had the infamous t/a burnt socket. after replacing the socket (which i did lastnight, didnt drive it till today) i started the car this morning and the SES light is off? i didnt think much of it cause i figured it would come back on after driving, the p0443 code came back emmediately on startup after clearing codes a few times. well after driving too and from school it has not came back on yet. i scanned the car when i was at school and there is still an o2 code which i was expecting with what flame mentioned about burning coolant. the p0443 code was stored but it was not set any of the cycles that were run after the drl/blinker was replaced. could replacing the socket have anything to do with the evap purge soleniod circiut?
Only if you changed the blinker fluid too.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

with the exception of the p0443 code, all of the others are normal to get when you install long tube headers and you need to disable those codes in your tune... set to "3" for no error reported...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Launching!

i havn't installed LT's.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

NOW THAT you mention it, that actually can make sense.

i've been through nightmares on old ford and chevy vans that were doing all kinds of goofy ****, and it turned out to be a bad bulb, or a bad socket.

the easiest way to test the purge solenoid itself, is to remove it from the car. i would presume you've got access to a powered test light? if not, look into one called "the power probe". that right there will be the best $150 you'll ever spend.
anyway, use the power probe.....hook the ground wire to one terminal on the solenoid, and momentarily power the other terminal. you should feel/hear it click. if you do, then hook a hose to the solenoid/valve, and blow through it. if you can't, then it should open when you power the terminal. if you can, then it should close when you power it. whichever it does when you power it, it should immediately revert to how it was when you unpower it.
i suspect it's going to be stuck, for that code to come back that fast.

oh crap....it just hit me. check your gas cap.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
with the exception of the p0443 code, all of the others are normal to get when you install long tube headers and you need to disable those codes in your tune... set to "3" for no error reported...
i'm not familiar enough to have known that.....what is it about the long tubes that causes this?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

p0137 o2 circuit low voltage b1 s1 is not normal to get with long tube headers. I would suggest you go to gearchatter.com and look up each code and read what the diagnostics are looking for. Having some kind of scanner to show real time data, graphically even better, will show what the sensors are doing compared to what the diagnostics are looking for before you just start throwing money at parts.

Quick Reply: Throwing 7 codes......where should i start?