Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with idle

Okay so mods are in sig. What Ive done is put a lightweight clutch in this car and It was tuned with a heavy LS7 so ive lost all the inertia that kept the thing running. The only issue that Im having though is when I push the clutch in from about 3k rpm, or let it fall coming to a stoplight, when I have the AC on, or when I load the Power steering hard with a turn as the revs are falling. I have access to tuning software and really hate to go spend a ton of money getting this thing retuned for such a simple thing. If you guys could send me on the right path that would be great. I dont have any tuning experience, but the friend I have with the software does have a little bit, just isnt that great with idle and part throttle tuning. The car is very drivable just have to mind how you drive it right now so I know the tune is incredibly close.
Thanks in advance guys!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

"413 RWHP/372 RWTQ" Great numbers for headers, mild cam & Intake car.
Best place to start might be to speak to your dyno tuner. He will have experience with this and might be the best one to resolve it. I am interested to hear how a tune can correct for the loss of flywheel inertial with a mild cam. Keep us posted!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

let me start first by saying my tuner is an absolutely fantastic tuner. I have Alvin at PCM for Less NC tune for me, but I just hate to lose my DD for a week, incur the cost for really no gain, and have to wait until he is free (big wait). So Although I SHOULD take it back to him, I was hoping to research the complexity of this situation first. I will let you know however what I end up doing!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which software do you have access to? Can you pull the tune and post it up or email it? It can be easily remedied...
Old 08-27-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

a buddy of mine has HP tuners. I dont have access right now since I told him I would find out how difficult it would be to fix and then If it was worth it for us to get into I would catch up with him.

Im assuming based on your response it would be easier to send it to you and let you fix and send back rather than tell me what to do?

thing is I went from 57.8 lbs bolted to the crank to 16 lbs bolted to the crank. Truth is too id really like it to idle just a hair lower but im afraid it will be very unstable down there. Its at around 900 now
Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple of idle tables to adjust for your symptoms... it is a matter of adding small amounts of air until the problem is gone - trial and error... Go under engine/idle/airflow tab - work on the throttle cracker airflow table for the speed/rpm you are having trouble. You want to add small amounts of air - around .2 grams/sec at a time to see what it wants. There is also an A/C table under the same tab that you can add to - it will help with the A/C issue seperately from the other. Hope that helps...

Last edited by BLK02WS6; 08-27-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

awesome thanks so much. Ill report back when I can get to it!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

okay ive been doing some research and also talking to someone with a similar clutch setup who reccomended that I max out the throttle cracker effectively disabling it so that I dont get the surge right after I apply a load. Its intended to be easier to drive since the clutch is so sensitive. The other issue is I feel like the Idle is off above the throttle cracker's available/ intended rpm anyway. I can be taking a 15 mph turn and if I push the clutch in and turn it will die. Today in stop and go traffic after getting the car rolling about 10 mph I pushed the clutch in and it died. That happened twice. Do i need to add that little bit of airflow directly into the idle table?

Quick Reply: Need help with idle