Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Dominator EFI

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley Dominator EFI

Who has used this ECU and harness? I am currently building a new 454 motor for my '02 Trans-Am and will be going to a aftermarket ECU. The Holley Dominator was recommended to me by a friend. I mainly am switching because I will be going higher in the RPM range then the stock ECU can tune for. Thank you for any input.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

I've installed, and assisted others with several of these systems. The biggest downside to LS customers, IMO is the fact that the OE gauge panel can't be controlled by the Dominator. Performance wise the system is awesome. It had a few bugs early, but those have been addressed, and fixed.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you used the hp efi version in a car with a t56 by any chance? Have been wondering if there is any connection to make there (specifically vss related).
Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Have you used the hp efi version in a car with a t56 by any chance? Have been wondering if there is any connection to make there (specifically vss related).
From what I understand, the HP could only do a generic I/O for a tailshaft speed. You could in turn create a gauge (if using the touch screeen) to display the tailshaft speed. Unfortunately this will not give you the actual wheel speed. One must run the Dominator, and use the Transmission ICF to control a speedometer. The ICF allows the user to program for use of 4 gears, and calibrate the pulse per mile....
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't need it for gauges, just didn't know if the Holley needed a vss signal to prevent the slight stalling when you let off the gas that can sometimes be an issue with stock computers.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't need it for gauges, just didn't know if the Holley needed a vss signal to prevent the slight stalling when you let off the gas that can sometimes be an issue with stock computers.
No that shouldn't be an issue with the Holley.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dj94gt
I've installed, and assisted others with several of these systems. The biggest downside to LS customers, IMO is the fact that the OE gauge panel can't be controlled by the Dominator. Performance wise the system is awesome. It had a few bugs early, but those have been addressed, and fixed.
Ok, other then Holley's 5.7" touch screen, do you know what other gauges or screen systems work with this ECU and harness?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by josh2002-ws6
Ok, other then Holley's 5.7" touch screen, do you know what other gauges or screen systems work with this ECU and harness?
Currently the Holley TS and digital gauges are the only units that work. Sometime down the road the racepak dash will work but that is not currently a top priority.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dj94gt
Currently the Holley TS and digital gauges are the only units that work. Sometime down the road the racepak dash will work but that is not currently a top priority.
Okay, thank you. It sounds like I might be able to just stick with the stock ECU now as I will be making peak power at 7800 rpm's and shifting at 8300 rpm's. I might still go with a aftermarket ECU tho. Keeping my options open.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the stock pcm controls the trans, and henceforth why it is linked to problems with stalling out and can cause problems with stalling if tuned incorrectly

the Holley is Completely independent.. it doesnt give a rats *** about your transmission..
if you buy the Dominator, it can do trans stuff, and can even control your 4l80 if you want it to.

with the HP, you can put your VSS signal into it and have it report a MPH in the data log... but honestly, you dont need it for any function on the Holley unless the Holley is controlling your shifts(which you need a Dominator for)

the Holley will be the best investment you make when you are spinning higher rpm's... the fact that it can do an adjustment 1000 times in a second, and the LS1 pcm only makes adjustments every 12.5 milleseconds....should be reason enough to upgrade
the Holley also will do WOT fueling control.... where your stock pcm will not do any fuel control at WOT...
I've seen the Holley save a 30,000 engine when a fuel pump failed... with the stock pcm, it would have been bye bye motor.

Quick Reply: Holley Dominator EFI