PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sons car will not go above 45mph and 3000rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahahahaha I love it!!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind all the streets here where we live are 45mph or under. Only two streets leading out of town go up to 55 then 75 once out of town but he has no reason to go down those roads. If he does need to go out of town in it I can change the mph to 70 or 75 and flash it in less then 5 minutes then change it back when he gets back.

And yes I did lock the PCM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
The talk came before he got the car and again after he had the car. It did not work or else he would not have the ticket. 70 in a 45 is not symply not paying attention to his speed. He was drag racing in town on a public street.

Taking the car away for a month will also punish me, why should I have to drive him everywhere for all the different things he has to do when he has a car and he is of the age to learn to take care of his own transportation needs.

No this way he is being punished, and he can take care of his stuff himself. This way keeps him from drag racing in town on public roads where he can kill himself and others. It is a very bad issue here in Odessa.

No, this is in no way a joke. He is still driving the car like this and he will continue to drive it with this tune for at least 6 months. The next step will be selling of the car and buying him some extra shoes for all the walking he will be doing as well as a louder alarm clock so he can get up even earleir so he can start walking sooner.

Tuff love.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Respectfully, why does your kid need a Camaro SS...?

Shouldn't he start at the bottom like we all did...?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, tough love will come down on the both of you from the state when he goes out again and kills someone with his reckless driving attitude. Him for the recklessness, and YOU seeing that he's still a minor. 16 year old with such a powerful car is just a recipe for disaster. History and statistics prove this. God me with you, ur son, and everyone else on the road.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joecar
Respectfully, why does your kid need a Camaro SS...?

Shouldn't he start at the bottom like we all did...?
Maybe you did but I did not. My first car was a 440 six pack Road runner.

I paid for it so I got what I wanted.
He pays for it so he gets what he wants.

The difference is with technology I can curb his habits.

What car he is driving is not the issue. If he was in a smart car he would have still gotten the ticket. That statement is like blaming guns for killing when the gun (and a car) is really just a tool and the person utilizing the tool is what causes an outcome. Both have to be handled with respect, responsibility, and with deliberate intent. Education on safe hadling practices and teaching responsibility is the only answer to both. Ultimatly people are responsible for their outcomes, not their cars, not their guns, not other people, only yourself.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
Maybe you did but I did not. My first car was a 440 six pack Road runner.

I paid for it so I got what I wanted.
He pays for it so he gets what he wants.

The difference is with technology I can curb his habits.

What car he is driving is not the issue. If he was in a smart car he would have still gotten the ticket. That statement is like blaming guns for killing when the gun (and a car) is really just a tool and the person utilizing the tool is what causes an outcome. Both have to be handled with respect, responsibility, and with deliberate intent. Education on safe hadling practices and teaching responsibility is the only answer to both. Ultimatly people are responsible for their outcomes, not their cars, not their guns, not other people, only yourself.
Agree with what you did 100%! Very crafty by the way. I can imagine him calling you now on his first ride wondering whats wrong with his car.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Nice one dad.
But the first thing that went through my mind, was to go to the nearest junk yard and pull out a computer from another fbody, have the vats turned off and lock you out. But thats just me. Good luck with your teenager.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

lol, kids usually outsmart their parents (not necessarily a smart thing to do), are you sure he can't access your tuning software/laptop...?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Teching In

shouda made him ride the bus to school for 2 weeks too.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a 400 hp Nova at 16....i was fine
Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snksknr
Nice one dad.
But the first thing that went through my mind, was to go to the nearest junk yard and pull out a computer from another fbody, have the vats turned off and lock you out. But thats just me. Good luck with your teenager.
True but all that cost money, which he has none left after making his weekly payment for the car, ticket, the cost of the credits for the tune and insurance to me. I will find out if he does something like that.

Good point though.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joecar
lol, kids usually outsmart their parents (not necessarily a smart thing to do), are you sure he can't access your tuning software/laptop...?
I take it with me to work every day. He has no idea how it works either. Plus I drive his car at least once a week to the local stores.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by messix
shouda made him ride the bus to school for 2 weeks too.
Too close to school but too far to walk.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I told the judge he had to see for the ticket what I did to his car. He almost fell out of his chair with laghter. I would not be suprised if he calls me to do this to some other repeat offenders. Lol!

Quick Reply: Sons car will not go above 45mph and 3000rpm?