Mass Air Flow Sensor Readings

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass Air Flow Sensor Readings

Hi guys,

Simple question...

Can anyone tell me what the grams per second reading of a good MAF sensor should be on a 2002 Camaro with an LS1 at idle?

Thanks,

Doug
Old 04-26-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Logging in HZ around 3000hz
Old 04-26-2013, 06:03 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Close to 8 grams per second.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Teching In

So 6.5 grams per second and 2500hz could cause some driveability issues, mainly pinging
on hard acceleration?

By the way Ed, Nice to see your name!

Doug
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 PM
9-Second Club

Doug, if it is a stock un-butchered MAF, that would cause lean issues and advanced timing. I would first wash it out, and check for an air leak between the MAF & throttle body. CRC makes a spray MAF cleaner, but if you can't find that I have used spray brake parts cleaner for years. (Smells like the same ****. LOL) If you have a K&N air filter you probably have their filter oil cooked on those tiny wires between the bars inside. Should be shiney clean. Any time you clean and oil one of those things you need to clean your MAF a few days later. Those filters are worth zero power on the dyno.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies!

I can tell you the MAF is unmolested but has been breathing through a black wing and K&N its whole life as it has the 345 cme package. I have been through the intake tract cleaning the throttle body, housing and Maf.

When I first bought the car in January the pinging was horrible. I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the MAF sensor which made a huge improvement but it still pings. I dont remember my other car ever pinging.

When you clean a MAF How aggressive should you be? Q-tip and cleaner? scratch at it with a finger nail?

If it doesn't improve I guess replacement with a new GM unit is the best choice considering the car is stock.

Anyway, thanks again for the input!

Doug
Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 PM
9-Second Club

Doug, just spray it with the cleaner I mentioned, shake out the excess cleaner, and put it back on. Do not blow it dry with compressed air. I have seen guys knock one end of one of those tiny wires loose, which makes it junk. That cleaner evaporates really fast, so compressed air drying is not needed.
What are you using for fuel? If it is a stock vehicle, and has the proper fuel, it may have been "tuned", just not very well. :-)
Good luck.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Teching In

I have already run 3/4 of a can of CRC Maf Cleaner through it, like I said it was an improvement but still pings which is why I tracked down a scan tool to look at grams per second/mhz of the MAF but then could not come up with any specs.

I did not consider that it could have been poorly tuned in the past.... Once again, thanks for the insight!

I have owned 2 2000 Camaros, 1 Z28 and 1 SS, neither pinged like this one!

I have a guy down the street that is held in high regard, maybe its time to let him have a look at it.

Thank you again!
Old 06-22-2019, 08:03 PM

Default Did you find the cause of low MAF?

Originally Posted by Doug Hampton
I have already run 3/4 of a can of CRC Maf Cleaner through it, like I said it was an improvement but still pings which is why I tracked down a scan tool to look at grams per second/mhz of the MAF but then could not come up with any specs.

I did not consider that it could have been poorly tuned in the past.... Once again, thanks for the insight!

I have owned 2 2000 Camaros, 1 Z28 and 1 SS, neither pinged like this one!

I have a guy down the street that is held in high regard, maybe its time to let him have a look at it.

Thank you again!
I have a 2000 Trans Am withow end and high end issues and my MAF at idle is 2470-2509hz and 6.14-6.39 volts. Cleaned and no change. Saw your old forum post and hoped you found a solution. At this point I'm about where you were, looking to possibly buy a brand new GM model.
Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

You are addressing a 6-year old thread....
Old 06-22-2019, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiley Lyon
I have a 2000 Trans Am withow end and high end issues and my MAF at idle is 2470-2509hz and 6.14-6.39 volts. Cleaned and no change. Saw your old forum post and hoped you found a solution. At this point I'm about where you were, looking to possibly buy a brand new GM model.
Sometimes it helps to click on that person's username and search their posts, that will give you an idea if they posted any updates on their issue in another thread since that time. They may not have logged in for many years so it's worth a shot. Or private message them if their last activity on ls1tech was recent. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Kiley Lyon (06-24-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiley Lyon
what exactly are the low and high end issues you speak of?
Old 06-23-2019, 02:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You are addressing a 6-year old thread....
This forum would be dull without the occasional Lazarus post.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Default Did you find the cause of low MAF?

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
what exactly are the low and high end issues you speak of?
Low end stutter/misfire(Very random on counter) and acts like it's running out of gas at high end but flow, psi, etc all good.
Found my MAF was at about 2400hz at idle.
Found and fixed an EGR gasket leak between EGR ports, and did a real cleaning of MAF with q-tip(yes very very carefully) and it removed real stuck on crap.
Due to crap weather I've only been able to drive it once since but it seemed improved but MAF still low at idle, but starting to think sketchy dyno shop it was at a few years ago did a bad tune(hence the reason they are closed now).

Quick Reply: Mass Air Flow Sensor Readings