PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Best is Yet to Come!! Take a Look!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:27 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Best is Yet to Come!! Take a Look!

What's the gold standard PCM Scan Tool? EFILive, that's easy.

What will be the gold standard PCM Tune Tool? That's pretty easy too! It's going to be EFILive Tune. It will be a PCM Reader, Editor, and Reprogrammer all integrated into one product. In fact, the Scan and Tune tools will all be integrated together if the user so chooses and they will all work through the same hardware interface cable which will be called FlashScan. No more plugging/unplugging/plugging/unplugging . Check things out for yourself http://www.efilive.com/news_20040209.html. In fact, become an informed consumer and browse around and check out all of the details http://www.efilive.com/tune.html.

Now, I've got to say that I'm prejudiced. I'm a happy owner of the EFILive Scan tool . The folks at EFILive believe in the four C's: commitment to excellence, continual product improvement (frequently at no charge), customer service, communication. Now, I'm a pretty careful consumer when it comes to spending my money. I research, question and consider all the angles that I can. Also, I'm a former diesel truck mechanic and I work as an aircraft electronic (avionics) engineer and I've been in avionics for 28 years now. So I'm pretty picky about a product like this.

Now, FlashScan and the EFILive Tune portion of EFILive isn't available yet and won't be until later this year. But are the other new products really available yet . TunerCat has been rumored/hinted at/etc. for how long??? Is the HP Tuners product currently being delivered really ready for market? Is LS1Edit user friendly and capable enough to really be usable or is it shrouded in mystery?

Think about these things and ask yourself these questions. Good things come to those who wait. Everyone who wants to get into (or is in) the tuning game is currently waiting in one way or another (product availability, completion, ease of use, whatever). Why not keep your money in your pocket and wait for something worth waiting for. I know of what I speak. Remember, I a satisfied EFILive customer !

Sincerely,

Steve Bryant

Last edited by Steve Bryant; 04-25-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Launching!

I dont know, HPTuners has all of the same stuff that you just mentioned and I, along with every other customer of them seems really happy with it. I too am a very happy customer.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very happy with my HP Tuner product.

A satisfied EFI Live scan user? almost sounds like a EFI Live rep wrote that for ya(no offence meant, just seems too salesman like)
Old 04-25-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a happy EFILive customer too, but right now
that cable sits in the closet and I log with HPTuners.
Both are installed on my "road laptop".

Yesterday I wrote a new flash file, went down
the Interstate logging, pulled off at the rest area,
reviewed the log, edited another .bin and flashed,
started logging again until the next exit, stopped
for another review, edit, flash, and did this twice
more on the way back. Just tweaking up tranny
operation mostly, and chasing the perfect PE/RPM
profile.

I guess I could've been sitting home thinking about
the money in my pocket instead.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28kid98
Very happy with my HP Tuner product.

A satisfied EFI Live scan user? almost sounds like a EFI Live rep wrote that for ya(no offence meant, just seems too salesman like)
agreed on salesman sounding

While EFI live is great lets see the product come to market, and see how it fairs they already have the tuning side done great.

Ryan
Old 04-25-2004, 11:25 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

No, I'm not a salesman. Look up some of my other posts and my public profile. But I am enthuistac and I do think that it is a EFILive is a great product. I don't blame anyone for taking a wait and see attitude. I'm just saying keep an open mind and don't jump the gun.

Steve
Old 04-26-2004, 04:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
No, I'm not a salesman. Look up some of my other posts and my public profile. But I am enthuistac and I do think that it is a EFILive is a great product. I don't blame anyone for taking a wait and see attitude. I'm just saying keep an open mind and don't jump the gun.

Steve

Well, I am waiting on HPTuners for '98 F-Body! But if it doesn't come out soon, I will have to look elsewhere. My car is almost ready. Hopefully firing it up today or tomorrow!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm also waiting for the 98 version of hptuners. I emailed them about the release date, but all he would say was that it would be VERY soon.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

so efilive is gonna do what to one-up the competition? All model years for not locked for $500?

or is it going to be vin locked like ls1edit?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

yep, I've been waiting for the 98 version of hp tuner, but I might just have to buy a newer ls1 just to buy hp tuner, lol
Old 04-26-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is the HP Tuners product currently being delivered really ready for market?
Everything i've seen and read (first hand and through this and other sites) indicates the answer is Yes ...
Old 04-26-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

yeah hptuners rocks. fast as hell writes. no fudging your ecm. consistent reliable, and fast updates like efilive folks.

Efilive has the scanner advantage, but i hear "bidi" and then some is coming "Free" to hptuners. So efilive's main advantage better be price per model

Functionally i have compared ls1edit and hptuners interface, they are nearly identical, but both sufficient to "do the deed".

What exactly will efilive bring to the table to be competitive? Time is ticking. Inquiring minds want to know? Price? More features (if so what?), more cars supported?

right now for hptuners to tune 4 year fbody (99-02) it would be like $899*2 right? thats no vin locking.

Maybe efilive will give all model years for $899 that would be cool.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:36 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I currently have EFILive and a Hypertech III (model 30005). I want to migrate to a PCM editor, but I want to make the right choice for the long run. All that I am saying is for people who have not made a decision, look before you leap.

If you haven't made a purchase, give it some thought. As I said, I'm an engineer and a former full-time mechanic. I like good tools of all kinds. Perhaps half of my tools are Snap-On and I am as enthusiastic about them as I am about EFILive. Read my posts on my Thorley 310-YC Tri-Y headers https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....23&postcount=5, my Comp Cam https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=48 and the DynoSim product https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....10&postcount=1. I'm equally enthusiastic about them. I like to choose well for long-term value and take care of what I have.

Steve
Old 04-26-2004, 01:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
All that I am saying is for people who have not made a decision, look before you leap.
It may be best to heed your own advice and give all available products equal consideration. You have yet to mention one feature of EFIlive flasheditor that HP Tuners is not capable of. However, I can think of one thing HP Tuners is currently doing better than EFIlive flasheditor - you can buy it right now. Brand loyalty is great - but try to be somewhat open-minded.

The bottom line is that there are only so many parameters within the PCM that you can modify. Without stepping up to an aftermarket injection/management system all products will be bound by the same restraints.

If you spend your entire life waiting for the latest and greatest innovation in technology, you will never purchase anything again. Changes in technology are quite rapid. By the time EFIlive flasheditor is released, there will be something else on the horizon to promises to eclipse all others.

I have experience with LS1 Edit and HP Tuners. HP Tuners has great product and outstanding support. They listen to customer feedback and make software changes accordingly.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words guys. Hearing feedback like this definately motivates us to put in more hours into the night.

For those of you still waiting on the 98 product I can assure you it will be VERY soon.. I can't give out any "dates" but I'm hoping we start taking orders by this weekend or early next week. We're right there. Thanks for your patience.

ps. We also have several things in the works to put us over the top vs our competitors. Stay tuned to our forum for details!! I'm SURE you guys will love a couple of the things we are working on.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Magnus
Thanks for the kind words guys. Hearing feedback like this definately motivates us to put in more hours into the night.

For those of you still waiting on the 98 product I can assure you it will be VERY soon.. I can't give out any "dates" but I'm hoping we start taking orders by this weekend or early next week. We're right there. Thanks for your patience.

ps. We also have several things in the works to put us over the top vs our competitors. Stay tuned to our forum for details!! I'm SURE you guys will love a couple of the things we are working on.
Hi keith,
This may not be the best place (Thread) to ask this question but does HP Tuners for 2002 SS work with Windows XP Pro? I looked on the HP Tuners site and could not find anything about the operating systems it works with. It may be there but I just did not see - I had this problem in the past, scan too fast.
Thanks - any information would greatly appreciated.

Bill
Old 04-26-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It works with my laptop but it has WIN Home on it. I also have it on my home PC and that has WIN XP Pro and works fine!
Old 04-26-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any software that works with one version of XP will work with the other!
Old 04-26-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

works on my xp pro laptop, win2k laptop, and windows me laptop equally just as well (hptuners). They did their homework. My crappiest laptop is a celeron 450 (hay it was a cheap dell only $150), my win2k is a 128meg (ouch) p3-600 sony vaio superslim (2lbs) that was like 250 and the xp is the p3-1ghz heavy dell, it was like 250 bucks.

all three work great. Though i prefer the super slim vaio since its only 2lbs and the new battery runs for 3 hours since it was an upgrade.

I suggest 256megs of ram, if you use xp or win2k, the boot times and standby times are sloooooow otherwise. ram counts more than anything with xp/win2k.

hptuners! rocks! can't wait to upgrade to add more year'age.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

I have also worked as a pro wrench for a decade or two and as an engineer for 8 of my 16 years at M.I.T. My homework led me straight to HP Tuners - their package is REAL and available now. The programs are very straightforward - even a tuning newbie such as myself can figure it out without bugging everyone with my learning curve.
As far as customer service goes, well, I think you will be hard pressed to beat them.
I have EfiLive 6.x as well, it has a home in my toolbox now. (Snap-On by the way)