Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help getting the 5.3/Holley HP running

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Need help getting the 5.3/Holley HP running

I have a 5.3 with the Holley EFI and I can only get the sucker to run for a few seconds and then she turns off. Fuel pressure is steady. Plugs are/were new. Seems like there's some miss-firing, although all the exh ports are hot. If I feather the throttle I can keep her running, but its rough. Wide band is reading over 20:1 due to a misfire I suppose. Wiring is all nice and done right. Where should I start?
Old 11-23-2013, 05:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What base tune are you using? Email me the tune and your mods and I'll take a look. Email is in sig.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Using the base ls1 tune but I have the Holley 3 bar map which may be screwing things up if I didn't calibrate it correctly. This is a cable throttle body.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can peddle it and make it start...
Then you might just need to open the throttle body blade a bit and reset the tps

Look at your iac values and see if its maxed out..

Also..you may just need a little more fuel in the fuel table.

Make sure you enable fuel learning to come on and do correction as soon as you start the car and it will atleast have a fighting chance by letting it correct the fuel on it's own while you work on other issues.

But ill bet it's mostly in the idle airflow / iac
Old 11-24-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
If you can peddle it and make it start...
Then you might just need to open the throttle body blade a bit and reset the tps

Look at your iac values and see if its maxed out..

Also..you may just need a little more fuel in the fuel table.

Make sure you enable fuel learning to come on and do correction as soon as you start the car and it will atleast have a fighting chance by letting it correct the fuel on it's own while you work on other issues.

But ill bet it's mostly in the idle airflow / iac

Looked at a datalog and closed loop was at 100% when it was active. I held the throttle at 2500 rpms and the IAC was at 40% as called for when the TPS is above 0. AFR was at ~25:1. I couldn't get the engine hot enough for learning to engage as the coolant temp enrich was still active. Do I really want learning to engage in a case like this? I think the whole fuel table would get screwed up the way its running.

Last time I used this system on an lq4 it fired right up and idled perfect - something is up. Is there a way to see if the injectors are working properly with out sending them out?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:02 AM
8 Second Club

For the sake of getting the vehicle to run on its own to trouble shoot.....yes. make it learn all the time until the first time it can get up to temperature and you can drive it down the road to get your fueling table closer.

Set the ect modifier table to 100 across the entire table temporarily.

Also, you can start by adding 20% to the entire fueling table.

To me..it seems that your datalog is saying you need more fuel...

Once you get the car to a warm temperature and have fueling in the ballpark.then you can go back and set ect modifiers back to other values and turn off learning for cold temps if you want.

I always let the ecu do closed loop fueling compensation until I have a known good fueling table.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:06 AM
8 Second Club

Also... if you just took a file, and changed the map sensor to a 3 bar map..it does not change the fueling in the fuel table... you will have to do that manually...
In which case it means that your fuel table still has one bar map fueling #s in it even though it may read 3 bar map values in the side axis.

In which case...you need to add more fuel to the entire table.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks soundengineer, I'll try all those things. I guess I'm just hung-up on the ~25:1 AFR, I just hope I don't have a dead inj/cyl which is causing those high #'s. I'll try the things you suggested and report back today.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 AM
8 Second Club

Once it actually runs on its own..
Use an infrared thermometer to see if all exhaust primaries are hot and similar...
If one is cold, then that is a dead cylinder and you can troubleshoot from there.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Soundengineer - I want to thank you so much as she's now running!!!

I had to add 30% to the base table to get to run, and you were correct about the map scaling throwing off the base fuel which I sorta figured would be an issue. Not sure why the software doesn't adjust that for you.

Its running, but rough. Not too bad, but I can tell something is off. Learning was engaged. After running it for ~20 min, CL compensation is still over 90% at idle. Sounds like a dead/lazy cyl. I really needed to crank in the idle set screw to get it to idle and it still needs a lot more, which makes me think a cyl is dragging. I have to get a thermal gun, but the exh mani's were all hot.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, I have seimens 80's, but there is no entry in the Holley software for these. I'm using the Siemens 60 entry just to get it running. Could this be an issue? I need to find injector data for the 80's which is like trying to find a pot of gold.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just got read your last email. Go into injector flow and change it to 80lb. If you leave it selected for the 60's and just change the flow rate it should be a lot closer than trying to run 80's with 60's data.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:28 PM
8 Second Club

The best part is..because the fuel table us in lbs per hr, you wont gave to change anything to make it work exactly the same...

If you are using VE...click on conversion.. copy the whole table...then change the setting from ve to speed density, then paste those copied values into the fuel table.
Then change the injector values after that..

P.s. its always better to tune in lbs/hr..
Ve is just there for people who really have to have a ve table for some reason...like converting from other software programs.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Just got read your last email. Go into injector flow and change it to 80lb. If you leave it selected for the 60's and just change the flow rate it should be a lot closer than trying to run 80's with 60's data.
Hey thanks for taking a look at that for me. I changed it 80.

Originally Posted by soundengineer
The best part is..because the fuel table us in lbs per hr, you wont gave to change anything to make it work exactly the same...

If you are using VE...click on conversion.. copy the whole table...then change the setting from ve to speed density, then paste those copied values into the fuel table.
Then change the injector values after that..

P.s. its always better to tune in lbs/hr..
Ve is just there for people who really have to have a ve table for some reason...like converting from other software programs.
I am using the lb/hr, its easier for my head to u/s that better. Do you think the 90%+ closed loop comp. is suspect? The engine stunk me out of the garage so bad and I had to change my clothes. Maybe this is an indication that something isn't running right or its just an engine w/o cats so its par for the course.

Quick Reply: Need help getting the 5.3/Holley HP running