Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting untuned?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting untuned?

Hey guys not sure if this is the right area to post this or not but I want wanted some input on if I should start my car without a tune or not. I have an intake exhaust and tune right now. But I just installed a cam, pushrods, valve springs, oil pump, timing chain, and injectors. Would it be safe to start the car just to see if it will leak anywhere or should I just tow it to the shop and get a tune and hope for the best?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

nothing will happen you can turn it on.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not recommend starting the car untuned with the larger injectors. You run the risk of washing out the cylinder with fuel. Which is very bad. I took my injectors with me to my tuner and he changed them out for free when i did my cam swap.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jsteele90
I would not recommend starting the car untuned with the larger injectors. You run the risk of washing out the cylinder with fuel. Which is very bad. I took my injectors with me to my tuner and he changed them out for free when i did my cam swap.
Great advice, I agree 100%
Old 02-28-2014, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jsteele90
How quickly can you wash the cylinders out?

1 min, 5 min, 20 miles?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning

Great advice, I agree 100%
When you tune vehicles that are rich, and it takes you 5-10 min to get it running in the safe zone

How much damage if any is being done while your tweaking the car during that 5-10 min window
Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always advise my customers to bring me the car using stock injectors to avoid washing the cylinders and fouling the plugs. It takes me 15 min to install them
I prefer to install injectors for free than having to change spark plugs, some cars are a nightmare to change the plugs. I never tune a car with fouled or old plugs so it makes my life easier changing injectors myself.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
I always advise my customers to bring me the car using stock injectors to avoid washing the cylinders and fouling the plugs. It takes me 15 min to install them
I prefer to install injectors for free than having to change spark plugs, some cars are a nightmare to change the plugs. I never tune a car with fouled or old plugs so it makes my life easier changing injectors myself.
Ok but if you start to wash the cylinders, how long would it take to do damage?

If its rich and you only have a handful of start ups and 20 second idles vs driving a car that's rich and putting 50 or more miles on ot
Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01

If its rich and you only have a handful of start ups and 20 second idles vs driving a car that's rich and putting 50 or more miles on ot
you don't seem to know how tuning works, the tuner will pull the stock tune and alter the injector tables as well as some other things before he even starts to tune the car

it's not just as simple as being "rich" or "lean"
Old 02-28-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

you don't seem to know how tuning works, the tuner will pull the stock tune and alter the injector tables as well as some other things before he even starts to tune the car

it's not just as simple as being "rich" or "lean"
Even after adjustments some tunes still need work once the car is started hence recording a log to see what's goin on.

But while your recording a log and tweaking things it's overly rich for x amount of time till you correct everything..

My question, does the fuel have enough time to cause damage during the initial stages
Old 02-28-2014, 11:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It can but only if you let it run for an extended amount of time before you modify it. If there is dark smoke coming out or white smoke that smells like raw fuel you may want a few more sets of spark plugs. Those normally go first. Then the O2s. But sometimes all that fuel will wash the rings as well and that is always bad. Hard to come back from that.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Also depending on the inj size change your engine can choke itself to death on fuel just idling trying to warm up. I would def recommend a startup tune before you cause any issues.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
It can but only if you let it run for an extended amount of time before you modify it. If there is dark smoke coming out or white smoke that smells like raw fuel you may want a few more sets of spark plugs. Those normally go first. Then the O2s. But sometimes all that fuel will wash the rings as well and that is always bad. Hard to come back from that.
I totally agree, how quickly can you wash rings? Within seconds, minutes or miles?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Minutes to miles depending on how large the transitions are from stock or whatever tune is in it.

We do offer remote tuning services that can help nearly anyone understand the basics and we can either assist with the build/tune from start to finish or just help get you on your way. Our tunes are personalized and unique to every car and combo not just some generic copy and paste and a slap on the ***.

Remember though when it comes to tunes and injectors, alot of the time you get what you pay for. Stay away from ebay throttle bodies and ebay injectors. Also if you call up a tuner or vendor and they havent heard of the brand...best bet is to stay away. Quality tunes not only come from quality tuners but also from quality parts.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

When you tune vehicles that are rich, and it takes you 5-10 min to get it running in the safe zone

How much damage if any is being done while your tweaking the car during that 5-10 min window
It doesnt take that long to get the a/f close, maybe a couple minutes total run time if that. When I fire one up I already have the laptop logging and the wideband on, I look at the a/f and shut it off. Make changes based on how far off it was and go again. Even if its way off the first it only takes a couple tries to get the a/f close enough where it isnt hurting anything.

There isnt any set time limit before damage can happen. I wouldn't even risk it with bigger injectors if it were my car. At a minimum you'll most likely kill the plugs within a couple of minutes. The risk isnt worth the reward IMO.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LTFT's may possibly be able to trim... the problem comes in if the LTFT's peg and/or CL is not achievable.

And, the amount of injected fuel during transient throttle/air events will be incorrect.

Regardless, there is NO reason/excuse to run with incorrect injector tables.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have seen fuel trims max (either way) with the install of a relatively small cam by todays means.

Better safe than sorry and have to pay more later.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not a matter of time. It will happen, the larger the new injectors the sooner.

If you are driving 5 miles or 500 without a starter tune, it's much better to leave stock injectors so fuel trims can compensate for part throttle and no damage will occur. There is no point using large injectors without a tune, period.
If you sold the old injectors or they are bad, send the PCM for a mail order tune, then you can drive the car safely.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even after adjustments some tunes still need work once the car is started hence recording a log to see what's goin on.

But while your recording a log and tweaking things it's overly rich for x amount of time till you correct everything..

My question, does the fuel have enough time to cause damage during the initial stages
Tuners will not only load the new injector data but also make many more changes to the tune before starting it up. One of those is increasing the VE table across the board a certain %. Idling the car once this is done has a wide range to be safe at to see where it's at before strapping it down and going ***** out on the dyno. I've been as low as high 9's AFR for a mile or 2 at part throttle before shutting down and making adjustments.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by danieloneil01

Tuners will not only load the new injector data but also make many more changes to the tune before starting it up. One of those is increasing the VE table across the board a certain %. Idling the car once this is done has a wide range to be safe at to see where it's at before strapping it down and going ***** out on the dyno. I've been as low as high 9's AFR for a mile or 2 at part throttle before shutting down and making adjustments.
That's what I'm getting at, when you were high 9's for 1-2 miles is that enough time to wash and do damage?

I guess it's too subjective since nobody checks after something like that happens

Quick Reply: starting untuned?