Sponsored by:

Yank SS3600 stall converter tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Yank SS3600 stall converter tune

Hey guys,

I am in the process of installing my new Yank SS3600 Stall converter into my 2002 LS1 that has 3.73 gears and just a lid/catback

Couple questions as I try and get the tune ready for the stall converter that will likely be done by this weekend...

1) General Shift lock enable - from factory we have a setting that is "on" that allows the TCC to remain locked during a shift. Do I want to turn this option off or leave it as is? I remember when tuning my v6 that you did not want to be locking the converter when shifting unless you wanted to blow the converter apart??

2) Do we want to eliminate the TCC duty cycle? I know this is something we did in the v6 as with that car aftermarket converters didn't like to be slipped on and off, they liked either a solid on or off...?

3) Im guessing I'll need to adjust the apply /release of the converter -I think this is pretty straight forward...is this something that is common in the ls1 cars to?

4) I've read about tcc's locking and unlocking due to misfire counts- is this something a case learn would fix, or am I stuck changing the misfire numbers to #32767 ?

5) further to #4, if I do need to change those numbers, (under the engine misfire tab) am I changing them under revolution mode? cylinder mode? or both?

6) is there anything I missed / am unaware of?

Thanks to everyone in advance!!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Only thing I change when going to a new converter is idle airflow for any surging and VE in that area. Also lock/unlock speeds to accommodate for driving. Sometimes shift speeds or RPM too.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

shouldn't be any surging with a converter on just a bolt on car?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lighter flywheel mass will change what the motor (PCM)
needs, to be stable. Probably for the worse. Expect it.

You do not want to lock through shifts.

You don't want to "eliminate" duty cycle. You want to
raise the minimum and maximum, to something like 98%
and 99%. This gives your TCC as much pressure as the
main trans pressure is delivering. That, in my book,
wants touching too.

Lighter converter mass elevates misfire detects. You
will probably need to raise the thresholds. If you just
doubled them, you might eliminate misfire-unlocking
but retain useful misfire detection for gross problems.
Me, I just jammed them all to 32767.

Part throttle shift tables and TCC apply/release need
to be set up for the changed slip behaviors. Rev limit
vs WOT MPH shiftpoints also.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you also need to eliminate some shift codes. with the stall the pcm will not see the rpm drop through shifts it wants to see, and think its slipping
Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

So far it has been ok through part throttle shifts, the only exception to this is in reverse touching the gas the car tends to stall out.

I plan to get the tuner on it today/next day or so.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 199 Likes on 165 Posts

So how does that stall feel? Have you ever had one before? If not, was it a little shocking to you, or is it kind of similar to stock, but loose if you mash the gas? I am trying to get an idea of how these feel, before I get mine in. Thanks
Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rpturbo
So how does that stall feel? Have you ever had one before? If not, was it a little shocking to you, or is it kind of similar to stock, but loose if you mash the gas? I am trying to get an idea of how these feel, before I get mine in. Thanks
It's awesome, I had a 3200 TCI stall in my 6 and this 3600 yank that is in my ls1 is tighter than the 3200. It melts the tires on about 1/4 throttle and I have 275 nitto extremes out back sitting on a ford 8.8 3.73 geared rear end.

I haven't ripped full throttle on it yet since I just finally drove enough K's to break it in today, but it is pouring rain out...plus I still haven't had a chance to tune it yet...but surprisingly, no engine lights yet either.

Car feels totally different to drive, in my opinion it is 10000000 times better with a stall, it pulls beautifully under part throttle, you rip by cars entering the highway ramps at just 25% throttle and passing is even more of a joke since you're unlocking in a nice sweet spot.

Get one, I tell everyone to, it makes the car stupid fun to drive...the only thing I don't like about this stall (and my 6 didn't have this issue) is from a stop it almost doesn't want to move without very very light throttle...I think a tune can correct that as well as the car stalling under light stabbing of the throttle in reverse...I think the maf just needs to be recalibrated down low, and maybe bump the rpm up a little bit...I bumped up about 150rpm the other day and it corrected a bit of it, but it searches for idle under those reverse conditions...like I said, nothing a tune cant fix.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Banned

Thats all good info... i have same converter, havent i stalled yet. Waitting on my hp tunes to arrive
Old 06-25-2014, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed, just got a 3200 stall converter for my 2000 z28. Wondering wat to change after the install. I have hp tuners but am a novice.

Quick Reply: Yank SS3600 stall converter tune