Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Tach is off

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Tach is off

So some how the tach on my cluster is off, the PCM is showing correct according to my tuner. what could cause this?

Crank sensor failing?
Power wire running to close to tach? *I added gauges WB and OP as well as a hard wire for my V1*

I know the signal wire is measured by Hertz so could it be interference? The tach used to show proper on my old motor. after building a new one its been off since the first start up.

yes i know the factory tachs arnt 100% accurate.. but it shouldnt show that high for an idle
Old 06-21-2014, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Help please
Old 06-21-2014, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

To determine whether the dash cluster is at fault you would need to have a scanner that can actually read the cluster's input reading. If the cluster is given the signal it is showing then the pcm is giving bad information. The cluster is not hard wired to the sensor it uses data from pcm. I personally have access to a tech 2. Probably a snap on scanner wou
Old 06-21-2014, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sicksspeed
To determine whether the dash cluster is at fault you would need to have a scanner that can actually read the cluster's input reading. If the cluster is given the signal it is showing then the pcm is giving bad information. The cluster is not hard wired to the sensor it uses data from pcm. I personally have access to a tech 2. Probably a snap on scanner wou
Well the program I used is a obd2 Bluetooth adapter and using a program called tourqe pro. Would a hand held scanner be better? Where could I use one? If the cluster is.getting a bad signal how would I go.about fixing that? My pcm was unplugged for about 8 months while I built my motor.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

You need a scanner that is capable of read
Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Oops. .. capable of reading the cluster. Your regular auto zone scanners won't do it. I probably shouldn't be saying to much of the exact way you can do this being I can't verify on my car being it is in a million parts but I am going by past experience of being a mechanic for too many years. Lol. Maybe some one else might chime in. As far as fixing. That would probably be a programming error. From there I would probably just go back to stock and see what happens.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

That's about on par with what I have, at 800 rpm it shows me at 1,100 on the tach. I have HPT as well as an Aeroforce Interceptor that both indicate rpm at 800 while tach is at 1,100.

Also I've no tach driven manual cars long enough that audibly I can confirm the engine is idling under 1000 so I know it's not the pcm reading wrong.

Our Gauges just read high. At some point if it gets worse I'll look into it. I just thank myself its not like the dashs on the third gen Camaro's. My buddies 88 Camaro tach reads 4k at idle :p
Old 06-23-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Werewolf SS
That's about on par with what I have, at 800 rpm it shows me at 1,100 on the tach. I have HPT as well as an Aeroforce Interceptor that both indicate rpm at 800 while tach is at 1,100.

Also I've no tach driven manual cars long enough that audibly I can confirm the engine is idling under 1000 so I know it's not the pcm reading wrong.

Our Gauges just read high. At some point if it gets worse I'll look into it. I just thank myself its not like the dashs on the third gen Camaro's. My buddies 88 Camaro tach reads 4k at idle :p

Maybe your buddy should try adjusting the tach output on HP Tuners if he is that far off. LOL
Old 06-30-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Maybe your buddy should try adjusting the tach output on HP Tuners if he is that far off. LOL
we can adjust the tach output? or is that not possible on 98+
Old 07-01-2014, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

SURE! Let me know where an OBD II port is on a 1988 Camaro and I'll get right on that one! >_>

Quick Reply: Factory Tach is off