PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do motorcycle guys have auto tune but we don't?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do motorcycle guys have auto tune but we don't?

Since I've gotten into building road racing bikes over the last year or two I've wondered more and more why there is noone making an auto tune for us. there are several options for the bikes that provide an auto tune or tune on the fly, why can't we have that, or is there something like that and I just don't know about it?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Products like the Holley HP/Dominator have auto-tune.
This forum mostly covers GM PCM/ECM which do not have auto-tune.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
Since I've gotten into building road racing bikes over the last year or two I've wondered more and more why there is noone making an auto tune for us. there are several options for the bikes that provide an auto tune or tune on the fly, why can't we have that, or is there something like that and I just don't know about it?
Define...your idea of... "Auto tune"

because ALL ECU's auto tune... its called Fuel trims...
GM chooses to use a narrowband o2 sensor, and only use them at part throttle and carry over positive trims to WOT...
Ford chooses to use a wideband o2 sensor, and fuel trims are used all the time
Old 03-08-2015, 02:12 PM

The GM's auto-tune is pretty much limited to compensating for manufacturing tolerances, normal wear and typical fuel quality. Since the OP mentions "racing" he is probably referring to aftermarket cams, heads, intake, etc. If any motorcycle factory ECMs can auto-tune for such aftermarket parts, that would be very impressive. Of course motorcycles are not subject to the same stringent CAFE and EPA requirements.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

VE and MAF tuning are essentially "auto tuned" in EFI Live and HPTuners. You hook up your wideband and use the data logging capability of the software to see how far off you are from commanded A/F. They provide the correction, you apply to the table, and presto, tuned.

Is the bike software doing this automatically?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As soundengineer hinted at, those bikes come with wideband sensor that the ECM reads.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

megasquirt also comes with auto tuning capabilities
Old 03-12-2015, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot I'd posted this... yes the bazzaz autotune as well as the dynojet will basically tune for whatever we do to the bikes. We change parts, change fuel, whatever, go out, run a few laps, come in, apply changes and BAM tune is typically spot on, if not, a few more laps and apply again and it's dead on. The bazzaz even has a switch we can switch between race gas and pump gas tunes.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:32 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot I'd posted this... yes the bazzaz autotune as well as the dynojet will basically tune for whatever we do to the bikes. We change parts, change fuel, whatever, go out, run a few laps, come in, apply changes and BAM tune is typically spot on, if not, a few more laps and apply again and it's dead on. The bazzaz even has a switch we can switch between race gas and pump gas tunes.
There are huge differences in the two different systems. I use power commanders all day long, and the bike systems are essentially a piggie back system that modifies stock ecu outputs. Thus it intercepts the signals before the injector and changes it. While this does work, it isn't that great. Reason being is that you can not change very many parameters on a piggy back system.

Where efilive or hp tuners is actually modifying the tables inside the ecu itself. ON the bike tuners you are not changing anything from the factory, simply advancing the spark timing and increasing injector duty cycle for more fuel. The bike tuners are a very simple way to accommodate for aftermarket parts, once you drastically change a bikes engine though the limitations of these piggie back boxes are quickly found, as you have no adjust-ability on many tables you need.

btw, both hp tuners and efilive have a way to install a wide band and change your VE table, just like the auto tune does for the bike. Once setup you can take a car for a drive and it will recommend changes to your VE table.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have the HPT pro cable so I can't hook a wideband up to it, unless there's another way of doing it that I don't know of with the standard cable.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:08 AM

I don't have the HPT pro cable so I can't hook a wideband up to it, unless there's another way of doing it that I don't know of with the standard cable.
Yes, you can run the Wideband through the A/C pressure signal. I cannot find the thread on HPTuners.com, but found a good article on a Corvette site.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...hp-tuners.html

Perhaps better, here is a link to a .doc file detailing the procedure on an Gen4 FBody:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...and_wo_eio.doc
Old 03-14-2015, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's pretty slick!

will HPT still recommend the changes needed even though the input is coming through a different channel?
Old 03-15-2015, 08:31 AM

that's pretty slick!

will HPT still recommend the changes needed even though the input is coming through a different channel?
Yes, it makes no difference how the wideband signal comes in.

Quick Reply: Why do motorcycle guys have auto tune but we don't?