Sponsored by:

Vinci Handheld prgrammer

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I was reading this on VHP website:

· Before attempting to tune the vehicle, assure that the battery is fully charged. We have had several instances of the vehicle not accepting the tune. Discussions with the vehicle owner have caused us to suspect a partially discharged battery or poor battery terminal connections. This will cause the tuner to lock-up during the tuning procedure.. In most every case, once the battery was brought up to full charge, the onboard computer accepted the tune.

· If the tuner locks up during tuning, turn the key off and remove the tuner cable. Double check battery condition and assure that all electrical devices are turned off in the vehicle and all of the proper fuses have been removed. Turn the key on, install the tuner cable and try again.

What do they mean by remove all proper fuses???? Am I missing something here.
that's for the truck tuner. there are no fuses to remove in the fbody. things like onstar need to be turned off so as not to interupt the upload. onstar has a GPS in it. if you happen to bump the vehicle, it will try and update the location of the vehicle.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ah soOOO!

Man I'm trying everything to solve this.
The new battery has 850 cold cranking Amps. That is enough to crank a battleship.
I even applied dielectric grease to make sure that the connections are responding well.
I'm baffled and frustrated.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Teching In

well,,you guys talked me into it,,i just ordered one of these tuners....in the thread i thought you mentioned a new TC predator,,was that the problem??i really hope your car gets str8ned out,i bought this tuner for apperant ease of use,return to stock option,as well as the un-ability to **** up my car.ill let you guys know how it goes..again,,thanks for the good info. one last thing..will this tune help mt trans?will higher shift,harder shift take slippage off my TC?that is a good thing correct?
Old 11-20-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah the TCI SSF3500 that I had was slipping. The tuner will adjust for trans. I tried it before I got my vacuum modulated FLP and there was a good improvement. The cam tunes on the tuner are really good.

I would recommend not to use a TC higher than 3000 stall otherwise you'll have to tune via Edit or HP as this handheld doesn't adjust higher stall parameters needed to b changed (like trans abuse mode)
Old 11-20-2004, 03:07 AM
Teching In

cool,glad to hear it.i just bought one of these and only wondered if taking the TM off is such a good idea.i will get a TC one day.so many mods to do..so little funds..lol
Old 11-30-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

mrr23, I am looking to buy one for my 02 Tahoe, is there still the GP or any other sale going on for it? I can't wait to get one, it sounds like it can move mountains, and I am hoping to do a cam chang in the near future. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

there is a new sale going on. there is a chrismas sale going on. you have to call it in to get the christmas sale price.
here's the link to the christmas sale page
http://vincihighperformance.com/2004...LE%20PAGE.HTML
Old 12-01-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mrr23
there is a new sale going on. there is a chrismas sale going on. you have to call it in to get the christmas sale price.
here's the link to the christmas sale page
http://vincihighperformance.com/2004...LE%20PAGE.HTML
Sounds like a deal, I think I will invest. I will post results when I get it. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:46 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I really doupt it is a pressure issue otherwise it would do it at the track but it doesn't.
Do you know the RPO for "traction control" option. I don't think I have it but if I had the RPO. I could check on my driver door but I don't know the option code for that either.
Sometimes under wheel spin I get an idiot light saying "Loss of traction" flashing on the guage screen.
You should have a TCS button down by the lighter. If not you dont have it.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

ok for those wanting some dyno evidence of tuning with this creature, here you go.

99 pontiac formula
automatic
stock converter
3.23 gears
stock ls1 intake
stock ls1 cam
VHP airlid
VHP air filter
VHP MAF ends
VHP/Crane 1.89 accelerated lift rocker kit
VHP/Crane dual valve springs
bassani 1 5/8" optimum length headers w/hi-flow catted y-pipe
borla catback
VHP ported 4.8L heads
no cats
mr gasket .042" head gasket

as the notes say, i ended up using CAM #3 +10% power enrichment.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:32 AM
Launching!

Pretty nice gains there...

Question (car is a 99 C5)I know the Vinci site says to use a stock MAF.How would the SLP 85mm work with the Vinci,SLP says the MAF is recalibrated and should be used with a stock PCM tune.
I am going to order a MAF in a week,either a stock replacement from Corvette central,or the 85mm recalibrated SLP one.I will be using the Vinci programer for sure,so i want to get the right MAF.
Mahalo..........Todd.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:23 AM
12 Second Club

Just wanted to chime in and give my .02 on the tuner.......I am VERY happy with my purchase. I just recently swapped my 2.73's for 3.42's and needed to recalibrate my speedo <which was what set my purchase in motion>. I recalibrated my speedo......and the other night on the way home there was a speed trap.....for the hell of it I pulled over and asked them if they could clock me to see how accurate my speedo was.....at 45mph it was dead on!! After breaking in the ring and pinion I added the power tune high perf/stock cam, changed the shift firmness to performance, and changed the cooling fan setting to 190. It made a world of difference in the upper RPM range. The shifts are nice and firm, the 1-2 shift is a handful! I added the tuner along with the 3.42's and a lid and filter and picked up .5 sec and 2mph...If I could hook up it probably would be more. Just thought I'd let everyone know that I am quite happy with the tuner......
Old 02-18-2005, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah the 1-2 shift is fun as hell. I did the exact same things you did. Went from 2.73s to 3.42. Installed Stock cam perf. programming and tranny perf program, shift enhancement and lowered temp fans to kick on at 190.
I cant wait to get new times this year once the track opens. I think its time for some DRs though. Otherwise no traction out of the hole.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

when i tuned her car, it has the VHP MAF ends on it. so, as you can see, it tuned just fine. so, instead of using the SLP MAF, get the VHP MAF ends. but, a friend of mine had the SLP MAF on his 99 WS6. when we tuned it at the track, he picked up .5 in the 1/4 mile. got rid of most of the black smoke that was pouring out.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrr23
when i tuned her car, it has the VHP MAF ends on it. so, as you can see, it tuned just fine. so, instead of using the SLP MAF, get the VHP MAF ends. but, a friend of mine had the SLP MAF on his 99 WS6. when we tuned it at the track, he picked up .5 in the 1/4 mile. got rid of most of the black smoke that was pouring out.
I would,but i need a new MAF,when i first got the car 3 yrs ago,i descreened it,cut the air-foil out,ported the crap out of,have had a couple issues ever sense.So i figured a new stock one or a larger recalibrated one.I did some more research and got another friends opinion and will get the 85mm recalibrated one.Thanks for answering all my questuions.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

no problem. anytime.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Launching!

One last question please.
If i disable my A.I.R. codes with HP tunner,will they stay disabled after loading/tunning with the Vinci?I really don't want to hook the A.I.R. back up.
Mahalo....Todd.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H-5-L
If i disable my A.I.R. codes with HP tunner,will they stay disabled after loading/tunning with the Vinci?I really don't want to hook the A.I.R. back up.
Mahalo....Todd.
one last question... why are you using HP Tuners and a handheld on top of it???? if you already have HP Tuners then you have access to over 500 parameters and tables .... why would you want to use a handheld unit over this?
Old 02-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Well,i should have seen that coming.It's not my program,the owner is not familiar with tunning yet.I'm only adding ls6 cam/valvatrain,long tubes,larger injectors,some auto tranny stuf,and a slight idle change.The Vinci can easily handle this.I won't mess with HP tunner until i have a good idea how to tune with it,and add 400 more RWHP,long learning curve.Don't want to use the local tunner,because i will be adding mods (Vinvi can handle),and i don't want a shop holding my stock files and locking the PCM.I never liked predator or other handhelds,the Vinci takes a major step forward.Hope that makes sense.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by H-5-L
Mahalo....Todd.
VHP suggests not trying to overlay two different programmers at the same time. it may cause issues with each other. but, the parameters are set in such a way that the SES light shouldn't be triggered by removing certain items. and i have verified it when a friend used the VHP on his 99 TA with AIR, EGR, and CATS removed. never got those three codes. he goes by jwitt2 on here.

Quick Reply: Vinci Handheld prgrammer