unit is as close to LS1 edit as I have seen and still have portability. Also,
there is no wait for computer to adjust to the programming it writes to
the pcm. I was simply amazed at the performance increase, and it is
very user friendly with lots of choices to suit your application. Tell
Roger you heard about it on tech and he will take care of you. Larry
Old 06-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have me interested.Let us know how it worked.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...FO%20PAGE.HTML here's some more info on it. i've been 'testing' it out for them. for auto cars, when you select the increase shift firmess, my car didn't just bark the tires in second, it 'burned' them. wasn't a little chirp. it was a full on spin.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Default vinci programmer

I have had mine in for awhile, and as with all programmers the computer
has to adjust. Specifialy the air/fuel ratio. I thought it worked good before
now that it has had some time, it kicks. Do yourself a favor and take a
look. It will do pretty much everything a LS1 edit or HP turner will do. Only
it won't let you turn off things you shouldn't mess with anyway.

Originally Posted by mrr23
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...FO%20PAGE.HTML here's some more info on it. i've been 'testing' it out for them. for auto cars, when you select the increase shift firmess, my car didn't just bark the tires in second, it 'burned' them. wasn't a little chirp. it was a full on spin.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Teching In

what kind of vehicles do you guys have? I'm also in Orlando and went to Vinci to get my '03 4.8L ECSB silverado dyno'd. Was pleased with their customer service. Especially Roger's son. (Sorry, can't remember your name, but I know you're on this board). He was really cool. I'm getting a tune VERY soon, but just am undecided which one to go with.
Here's my concern: Will it be able to take out torque management? Also, can it detect dual octane like a Wester's 87/93 tune can? I know the SPE Proflash can do this, just takes 10 minutes to reprogram from economy to full performance mode. Sorry to kind of hijack the thread, but if this tuner is as good as you guys say it is and it has the options I'm looking for, I will seriously consider it.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

I checked out the Vinci link and Crane Cam's website. I need more specific info as to what the 30 different adjustable parameters are. Is there a site that further explains in more detail what this tuner can do? TIA
Old 06-25-2004, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

I'd like to hear some more about this also.
Cheers,

Tom.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Well??? Anybody have more specific info? From what I gather, it can do a few more adjustments than a predator. What are those adjustments?
Old 06-26-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nuzee
Well??? Anybody have more specific info? From what I gather, it can do a few more adjustments than a predator. What are those adjustments?

Here is the Manual from Crane's website, It details it pretty well.

http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/1202008e.pdf

It looks pretty nice for a handheld. Look at just the basic cam profiles it supports:

Camaro/Firebird and Corvette
PowerMax Tuner Camshafts

Camshaft Valve Lift
Part Performance .050” With 1.7:1
Number Level Duration Centerline Rocker
1449555 1 210/218 114 531/531
1449571 2 210/218 112 531/531
1449561 2 216/224 115 551/551
1449581 3 220/220 112 551/551
1449591 3 224/224 114 551/551
1449601 4 228/232 112 600/600

Here is an excerpt from the manual about it's features:
• Change your vehicle speed limiter to match the speed rating
of your tires (Note; take care to assure that the speed
rating of your tires matches the highest intended operating
speed of your vehicle).
• Allows you to adjust the fuel power enrichment at WOT.
(Wide Open Throttle)
• Adjust your speedometer/odometer to compensate for
oversize/undersize tires within ¼" OD (24" to 30").
• Adjust your speedometer/odometer/engine management
system for changes in gear ratios (2.73 to 4.56 for most
applications)
• Provide custom, high-performance tuning for your stock
engine/transmission system
• Provide four levels of tuning for Crane Cams PowerMax
camshafts in naturally aspirated engines and two levels
for supercharged engines. Supercharged engines can be
tuned for a stock cam or performance level cams.
• Optimize transmission shift points for new PowerMax
cams
• Adjusts shift firmness for stock setup and performance
setup
• Provides tuning adjustment for up to 30 different parameters
for most stock applications
• Allows adjustment of idle speed in 50RPM increments
• Adjustment of preprogrammed spark curves +/- 10% to
fine tune for free flowing exhaust and improved inlet systems.
• Allows for installation of high flow fuel injectors that are
sometimes necessary with supercharger applications.
Will compensate with injectors that are up to 120% larger
(higher flow rates) than stock.
• Works with all auto transmissions
• Disables skip shift feature with manual transmission
applications
• Select cooling fan “on” setting.
• Super-easy, five-minute installation. Just "Plug-n-Go"
• Easy return-to-stock anytime you choose
• Performance settings can be changed an infinite number
of times.
• Reads diagnostic trouble codes and provides easy "clear
code" function.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, this sorta looks interesting. I was looking to order the HP Tuners product this coming week or so and stumbled across this thread. Got a few questions to the folks who have experience with this handheld. I almost went with the Diablo untill their "upgrade fell through", I would not consider it now due to the limited amount of parameters that you can change without a "custum tune".

1. Has anyone that has this product also had LS1 Edit or HP Tuners?

2. Has anyone who has this product also had the Diablo Handheld?

3. I saw that you can adjust air fuel at WOT. Can you do any amount of adjusting or is it like the Diablo unit in that you can only adjust +/- something like 5%? I assume that you cannot adjust idle and part throttle fuel settings as I didn't see anything about it. I know that right now,,, I'm running rich as all get-out at idle and part throttle. Is there anyway I can tune that out with this product?

4. Timing, it says- +/- 10%. I suppose that would mean you could only add or subtract around 2-4 degrees of timing assuming that the regular timing might be in the 25-35 degree range???

I have a TSP 231/234 - .595/.598 {or close to it,,, can't remember specs for sure}. I have headers and a SLP 85mm maf, will this unit allow me to first off, pick the N0. 4 level cam to get me close, then fine tune the air/fuel and timming till it's spot on according to a dyno? The only other mods that I would be doing in the future would be a better intake {I have a LS1 intake now} and maybe a good set of heads. Will I have the ability to "delete" codes such as rear O2 sensors, EGR, ect.? Would I outgrow this tuner with those mods? How about if I went with more displacement later on,,,, would the product still be usefull to me?

Finally, I see that this product doesn't have logging {other than gathering codes} or am I missing it somewhere? I reckon that if the product does everything "I" need it to do, I could add a WB air/fuel or maybe a used copy of auto-tap maybe. It's just that by the time I add Auto-Tap to this product,,, the product is no longer cheaper than HP Tuners,,, only easier for me to use {I'll have alot of learning to do with something like HP Tuners or LS1 Edit}. Any opinions out there that could help me make up my mind?

Last edited by Judd; 06-27-2004 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:39 AM
11 Second Club

Monodax
Exactly what I was looking for

I was hoping that I could turn off rear O2 sensors & AIR for when I get headers. I guess not. The part throttle shift & TC lockup feature looks good though!!! Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2004, 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, $459 +Shipping? But it is handheld instead of having a laptop...hmmm
Old 07-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Just to add my 2 cents- got mine on Sat after great support from Joe at Vinci and is extremely easy to use-seat of the pants tells me the car is quicker and runs much smoother-going to the strip in 2 weeks so will find out then.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

i work very closely with VHP doing R&D on their products. i've been working with the tuner in getting all the bugs worked out on it. i'll be out sunday 7/18 at bradenton, fl doing some drag times with it on my 00 formy. both NA and n2o.

used it on the wife's 99 formula so far. (pink banner). you can modify the stock programming with it. or choose one of four other preset programs. depending on cam and if it's supercharged. using the stock programming, i changed the shift points (raises 300 rpm) and shift firmness. turned the fans on sooner (choice of stock, 210, or 190). i added 10% more timing to it just to see what would happen. it made the rear tires bark. real crisp immediate shifts. smoother throttle response.

then i used the first modified program. made the tires spin when it shifted into 2nd. car felt more aggrerssive even though i had the stock cam. i raised the idle rpm 100. i went 100 up as programmed.

yes it does get rid of CAGS and torque management. you can modify the four preset programs as well as stock. timing curve can change -10% 0% +10%.can modify the injector size by enrichening the fuel in 10% increments from 0%-120% you can modify the power enrichment (pumpshot in a carb) -5% 0% +5%. there are more things that it can do. change gear ratios. fix the speedo by inputting gear ratio and tire diameter in .25" increments. and more.....including all the items listed above in the crane advertisement.

talking with roger vinci, you can only get the f-body, corvette tuner through them. they have been working with crane for many years in developing products for LS1 and LT1. any questions call them at (407)292-4500. or you can email them or me.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nuzee
Monodax
Exactly what I was looking for

I was hoping that I could turn off rear O2 sensors & AIR for when I get headers. I guess not. The part throttle shift & TC lockup feature looks good though!!! Thanks again!
talking with greg, the senior tech at VHP, it doesn't turn off the rear o2 because of EPA regulations to make the programmer emmisions compliant. BUT, it sets the parameters wide enough to not toss a code.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrr23
i work very closely with VHP doing R&D on their products. i've been working with the tuner in getting all the bugs worked out on it. i'll be out sunday 7/18 at bradenton, fl doing some drag times with it on my 00 formy. both NA and n2o.

used it on the wife's 99 formula so far. (pink banner). you can modify the stock programming with it. or choose one of four other preset programs. depending on cam and if it's supercharged. using the stock programming, i changed the shift points (raises 300 rpm) and shift firmness. turned the fans on sooner (choice of stock, 210, or 190). i added 10% more timing to it just to see what would happen. it made the rear tires bark. real crisp immediate shifts. smoother throttle response.

then i used the first modified program. made the tires spin when it shifted into 2nd. car felt more aggrerssive even though i had the stock cam. i raised the idle rpm 100. i went 100 up as programmed.

yes it does get rid of CAGS and torque management. you can modify the four preset programs as well as stock. timing curve can change -10% 0% +10%.can modify the injector size by enrichening the fuel in 10% increments from 0%-120% you can modify the power enrichment (pumpshot in a carb) -5% 0% +5%. there are more things that it can do. change gear ratios. fix the speedo by inputting gear ratio and tire diameter in .25" increments. and more.....including all the items listed above in the crane advertisement.

talking with roger vinci, you can only get the f-body, corvette tuner through them. they have been working with crane for many years in developing products for LS1 and LT1. any questions call them at (407)292-4500. or you can email them or me.
So for things like the shift firmness & shift point adjustments, it sounds like you can NOT select a certain step between stock or tuned. Its either on or off. In that respect, the HPP3 & predator is more powerful.

I was really hoping that this tuner had more parameter adjustments and more adjustment steps instead of 0, 2 or 3 choices. I wanted something that makes separate adjustments for other mods like headers or torque converter, just like the adjustments for cam changes on the Vinci tuner.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

what adjustments are you looking for? for headers you'd adjust fuel and timing. it does that. don't know what type of adjustment you are looking for when it comes to the converter. the shift enhancements are an 'yes/no' thing individually. looking at the HPP3 online, it says answer a few yes/no questions. can you explain what the different levels are. http://hypertech.com/shiftpoints.html

Last edited by mrr23; 07-16-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get these for $399.99 through summit and then $20 rebate through Crane. Not a bad deal at all, the cam tuning is sweet. My order is going in next week...
Old 07-18-2004, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by riddler
You can get these for $399.99 through summit and then $20 rebate through Crane. Not a bad deal at all, the cam tuning is sweet. My order is going in next week...
well looking at their listing, the f-body/corvette (1202-008)one is not listed. they are only selling the truck programmers. http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...arch&Ntt=crane you should call them first before trying to order it through summit.

and to point out. the summit ones are CRANE not VHP versions. if you can even get a CRANE version through summit.

Last edited by mrr23; 07-18-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

track results from today.

all stock + cutout open
60ft - 2.073
1/8 - 8.833 @ 82.55
1/4 - 13.636 @ 101.58

above + performance/stock cam program,+10% timing, shift firmness, shift enhancement
60ft - 2.041
1/8 - 8.697 @ 83.51
1/4 - 13.431 @ 102.90

i tried others like the stock cam/supercharged and the CAM #1 just for giggles. i gained a .1et/.5mph over stock from the CAM #1. for the supercharged one .05et/.3mph. remember the only thing i have added are the SLP airlid and cutout.

Quick Reply: Vinci Handheld prgrammer