PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Stumped.... any input is greatly appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015 | 01:07 AM
Teching In

Default Stumped.... any input is greatly appreciated

2002, Camaro, Z28, LS1, Automatic, Cam, Stall, Stock exhaust, 125 shot wet.

The car has been dyno tuned by a reputable tuner.... The car ran perfectly fine until a couple of nights ago. Started it, took off to head home, and it was cutting up, backfiring out of the exhaust and it has been doing it since.. if you hammer it, it will always do it and it will intermittently do it under normal driving conditions... if I pull up to a stop light and stop sometimes it will backfire while just sitting there, if I make the converter lockup and lug the car, it cuts up and backfires.

The upstream 02's have been replaced
Cam Position and Crank Position Sensors Replaced
Visually inspected valve springs
Plugs have been checked
Wires and Coils have been checked
Fuel Pressure has been checked
Checked for vacuum leaks

Watched the live data and misfire's on a scanner and everything looks normal to my knowledge and it is not showing any misfires, I've used 2 different scanners just to eliminate the possibility of the scanner not reading correctly. I've pretty much run out of ideas at this point... I may replace the plugs, wires, test spark out of the coils but it doesn't really feel like a miss (misfire).... it almost seems like it's loading up..

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2015 | 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Did you test the fuel pressure while driving it? It may be ok at idle, but not ok under load or at WOT....
Old 06-23-2015 | 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

Did you happen to get gas right before it started to happen?
Old 06-23-2015 | 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does it run better if you unhook the MAF?
Old 06-23-2015 | 12:15 PM
Teching In

Did you check your nitrous system for leaks? A bad solenoid leaking n2 and fuel into the intake will cause all sorts of problems. You should be able to see something change while data logging if you are experiencing backfires.

I'd close the bottle then purge all the pressure then take a section of your intake downstream of where you have it plugged into your intake. Check for obvious leaks. If you don't find any I'd keep the nitrous off and data log again to see if the misfire goes away
Old 06-23-2015 | 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Did you test the fuel pressure while driving it? It may be ok at idle, but not ok under load or at WOT....
Yes, I left the gauge hooked up while driving and pressure remained around 58 even while it was cutting out etc.
Old 06-23-2015 | 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TurboBuick6
Did you happen to get gas right before it started to happen?
He did get gas before it happened but has since fill it up with 93 from a reputable gas station.
Old 06-23-2015 | 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
Does it run better if you unhook the MAF?
Same problems whether the MAF is plugged in or not.
Old 06-23-2015 | 04:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rvn2svn
Did you check your nitrous system for leaks? A bad solenoid leaking n2 and fuel into the intake will cause all sorts of problems. You should be able to see something change while data logging if you are experiencing backfires.

I'd close the bottle then purge all the pressure then take a section of your intake downstream of where you have it plugged into your intake. Check for obvious leaks. If you don't find any I'd keep the nitrous off and data log again to see if the misfire goes away
We have not checked the nitrous system for leaks although the bottle has been closed and lines emptied via the purge. It is a zex kit with the WOT box, the only solenoid is the purge. I will look it over tonight when he comes by.
Old 06-23-2015 | 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Does it feel like one cylinder or multiple cylinders? Ive seen coils run fine at idle and when they load up it will misfire.
Old 06-24-2015 | 10:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vwdave
Does it feel like one cylinder or multiple cylinders? Ive seen coils run fine at idle and when they load up it will misfire.
Honestly, I can't tell if it feels like only 1 cylinder or if it's multiple. If you hammer the car, it runs perfectly fine. It's mainly when the torque converter locks and you lug it, it cuts up and back fires and you can feel it missing. Mainly when it's under a load.
Old 06-25-2015 | 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Do you have a wideband hooked up?
Old 06-27-2015 | 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

I would borrow a set of coil packs from a buddy as they take 5 mins to change. I had a similar issue with my vette that was not throwing any misfire codes. I swapped coils with my truck and the problem went away.
Old 06-27-2015 | 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Other possibilities:
- leaky injectors,
- coils as mentioned above;
- CKP reluctor spins on crank.
Old 07-03-2015 | 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a spark-coil-wire problem. Take a peek at night with the engine running you may see the problem.
Old 07-03-2015 | 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Sounds like a spark-coil-wire problem. Take a peek at night with the engine running you may see the problem.
On the older VW's we used to spray them with a squirt bottle with water. Found cracked coils real easy with that method.

Quick Reply: Stumped.... any input is greatly appreciated