Sponsored by:

1998 gauge cluster - Holley Dominator

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSS
I dont think so.
I had to enable PWM and edit the tables in my 411 PCM when I changed my PCM from 98 to 2002 for the fuel gauge to work properly.
The gauge on the 98 cluster responds to a PWM signal generated by the PCM AFAIK.
I attempted a temp butt connector but since my tank is full and it reads full there is no way to test whether it works until I get it back on the road.
I was hoping Soundengineer was going to chime in again since it seems like he had first hand experience with this scenario.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Ok trying to wrap this project up, any tricks on getting the tach to read right? Mine is currently reading double the engine rpm according to the holley software.. been poking around and trying to figure out if there is a way to halve it.. but no luck. Ideas?
Old 11-25-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvrfsh
Ok trying to wrap this project up, any tricks on getting the tach to read right? Mine is currently reading double the engine rpm according to the holley software.. been poking around and trying to figure out if there is a way to halve it.. but no luck. Ideas?
The stock tach is looking for a 4 cylinder signal, while the Holley is sending an 8 cylinder signal, hence the double reading. I don't think this can be changed in the Holley software without effecting the operation.

You can get a signal off one side of the coil harness. I believe the coils have constant + while the negative side is triggered as each coil fires. If you tap into the ground that feeds all the coils, it would be similar to tapping the negative side of the coil, like on an old SBC.

This is just pure conjecture on my side, but it might be worth researching further to make sure I am on the right track.

Andrew
Old 11-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The stock tach is looking for a 4 cylinder signal, while the Holley is sending an 8 cylinder signal, hence the double reading. I don't think this can be changed in the Holley software without effecting the operation.

You can get a signal off one side of the coil harness. I believe the coils have constant + while the negative side is triggered as each coil fires. If you tap into the ground that feeds all the coils, it would be similar to tapping the negative side of the coil, like on an old SBC.

This is just pure conjecture on my side, but it might be worth researching further to make sure I am on the right track.

Andrew

AFAIK the tach uses a 12v square wave, in stock application its looking for a 2pulse per revolution, and the holley is outputting 4 pulses per revolution, since its using a 12v signal (right?) would setting up a PWM output work and reference RPM as the output?

I have the screen pulled up now, and its asking for 2 axis, what would the other one be??

Old 11-27-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's above my pay grade. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Andrew
Old 12-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Teching In

That's above my pay grade. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Andrew
Just to save the next guy some trouble, here is what I've managed to do... again using the 98 cluster; Using it on a cold motor that wasn't too happy revving it seemed a little sluggish, but it might just be the motor. My tach is reading mostly correct (probably about as accurate as the factory ECM would feed it into ), but it is where it is supposed to be. I'll get my car warmed up and take it for a spin and see if its reading 100%, and see if I got my speedo working now that I got my hands on the J4 connector from Mouser Electronics and transferred the VSS wires to it.

Here is a screenshot of the PWM+ output that seems to have gotten it working, note that it seemed to responded faster IMO at 80% as compared to 25.. not much but a little bit, if you increased it past say 85 it actually reved in reverse (tach dropped to 0 instead of jumping to say.. 2000rpm) so once we get it out and about might have to drop it lower than 80 .. maybe 65-75%.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad you got it working. Good stuff there!

Andrew
Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Glad you got it working. Good stuff there!

Andrew
Upon further investigation 80 might be too high as well, causes the tach to occasionally have a hang/flutter to the needle.. randomly. Dropped it to 60 to see how it likes that.

Quick Reply: 1998 gauge cluster - Holley Dominator