PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change in elevation for sd tune..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Change in elevation for sd tune..

Ok, please excuse my lack of tuning knowledge. The turbo car I bought recently is being shipped today, and will be going from under 500 ft of elevation to around 3300 ft at it's final destination here in Texas. The car has a decent OLSD tune on it as it sits. My question is, since the oxygen content is different by a percentage vs. the elevation change, couldn't I just apply a set percentage globally to the ve table and get the fueling back to what it needs to be?

I know the motor will be running rich...any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If the setup/tune is done correctly it should be just fine. It will only have problems if it's hacked. The myth of needing to "retune for altitude" comes from hacked tunes on cars with cheap parts.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
If the setup/tune is done correctly it should be just fine. It will only have problems if it's hacked. The myth of needing to "retune for altitude" comes from hacked tunes on cars with cheap parts.
So, because this is a speed density tune and the ecm is relying heavily on the map sensor, the tune won't change that much because air density is relative to pressure?
Old 11-02-2015, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oxygen content does not change by elevation. Atmospheric pressure is what changes, so the air is less dense but contains the same oxygen content %
If the tune was done correctly it will reference the new MAP reading and adjust fueling and timing accordingly.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
Oxygen content does not change by elevation. Atmospheric pressure is what changes, so the air is less dense but contains the same oxygen content %
If the tune was done correctly it will reference the new MAP reading and adjust fueling and timing accordingly.
Cool. He spent a good amount of time on the V.E. table street tuning the car, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So, because this is a speed density tune and the ecm is relying heavily on the map sensor, the tune won't change that much because air density is relative to pressure?
Well because it's relying so much on the MAP sensor is why it's going to be ok going to different elevations as others have mentioned. Your engine will see less manifold pressure at higher elevations for the same type of driving, and the PCM will see that and with a proper tune should be just fine.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan
Well because it's relying so much on the MAP sensor is why it's going to be ok going to different elevations as others have mentioned. Your engine will see less manifold pressure at higher elevations for the same type of driving, and the PCM will see that and with a proper tune should be just fine.
Well, this makes me feel a lot better. I really wasn't looking forward to paying $700-$800 for a 3 bar sd tune.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Well, I finally got the car Saturday night. I drove it around a bit yesterday, and the only issue I really see is the car surges at idle, in gear. In park it idles fine. Did a few WOT runs at 14psi and it feels really, really strong. LOL. Anyway, just thought I would update this. I'm taking it over to a tuner buddy today who also has a dyno, so I'll see what he can do.

Thanks again for the input, fellas.

Quick Reply: Change in elevation for sd tune..