Sponsored by:

LS2 E40 differences: GTO vs. Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 E40 differences: GTO vs. Corvette

Hey all,

New guy here; I am currently in the process of assembling parts for an LS2 swap into my 944 Turbo.

While the underlying LS2 internals are the same between the GTO and Corvette (and TB SS, for that matter), I wasn't sure about the E40 ECM itself. The GTO and Corvette E40 ECM share a part number but given that they use different intakes/exhausts, would the actual tune for the two be different?

Let me know if I've asked this in the wrong forum location. I've done a good bit of searching and have come up empty-handed, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can search on HP tuners for the calibration numbers to check and see if they are different. More than likely you'll have to tweak the tune a little for your application.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Good input, will check that out. Thanks. The intake will be the same as a C6, but the exhaust will be long tubes with no cat/muffler. Think a new tune is still necessary? I'll have a wideband on it so it'll be easy to tell. I was hoping to circumvent any upgrades to the tune/engine until after I have proven the stock motor with the car.

Here's another question: I'm planning on tapping into the CAN bus for my AIM dash, which is plug-and-play for all LS2/3/7 Vettes. Where might I want to go to see if the E40 ECM from the GTO would also work?
Old 11-03-2015, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

The tuning will be necessary to turn items off such as rear O2 sensors, CAT efficiency and so forth.

Are you using the GTO wiring harness? If so I would compare the harness pin out to the Corvette one if you know it will work. In other words the ECM may be the same but the wiring harness may be different to accommodate different needs.
Chris
Old 11-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Aha, great to know, thanks. Can you tell I'm new to this?

For the tune, should I just get HPTuners? Or would it just be simpler/cheaper to send my ECM out to someone for a reflash? I did all the tuning on my 944 turbo motor (~330rwhp) so it's nothing I'm afraid of doing, but I am keen on taking advantage of the most plug-and-play as possible.

I'll look up the pin out arrangement for the Vette and GTO harnesses, as my current plan is to use the latter harness on the 944. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

For the tuning HP Tuners will work great. If you have the wideband then you can take advantage of the Pro version as well. The downside is its going to run you around $650 from a supporting vendor. If your keeping the engine pretty much stock with the exception of a few bolt-ons a mail order tune maybe the way to go. I would price shop and see what works best for your application.

Sounds like an interesting build your doing. That thing should handle really good and now have awesome power!!

My neighbor did a 5.0 Ford swap into a BMW 3 series. He spliced the BMW and Ford harnesses together pretty easily.

Chris
Old 11-03-2015, 07:45 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Hey all,

New guy here; I am currently in the process of assembling parts for an LS2 swap into my 944 Turbo.

While the underlying LS2 internals are the same between the GTO and Corvette (and TB SS, for that matter), I wasn't sure about the E40 ECM itself. The GTO and Corvette E40 ECM share a part number but given that they use different intakes/exhausts, would the actual tune for the two be different?

Let me know if I've asked this in the wrong forum location. I've done a good bit of searching and have come up empty-handed, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, wrong section. The Internals sections are for topics related to engine internals, like the crank, camshaft, or cylinder heads. Questions about the ECM doesn't really belong in the Internals sections.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks KCS -- definitely appreciate it.

What's the best section? Tuning, I suppose?

EDIT: Ha, just noticed you moved the thread. Many thanks!

Quick Reply: LS2 E40 differences: GTO vs. Corvette