Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holly or MS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holly or MS?

Question, as far as bang for my buck should I go holly dominator or megasquirt and as far as ease of instillation? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends which Megasquirt system are you looking at. You can buy a $300 Microsquirt and have full spark/fuel tuning capability (and some other features, but its limited) or you can get a $1200 MS3Pro have get more features than Holley can offer. Mainly depends on how much you want to spend and how much work you are willing to do. Most MS systems will require you to build your own harness, unless you go with a unit from EFI Source.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by svslow
Depends which Megasquirt system are you looking at. You can buy a $300 Microsquirt and have full spark/fuel tuning capability (and some other features, but its limited) or you can get a $1200 MS3Pro have get more features than Holley can offer. Mainly depends on how much you want to spend and how much work you are willing to do. Most MS systems will require you to build your own harness, unless you go with a unit from EFI Source.
Yap but Evan the holly will get the job done I have the ms on my fox for about 3 years and swap to the holly now and I'm happy also its all about you the MS software need a ill work and knowledge but the holly it's a friendly used
Old 02-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Teching In

so if I'm going for easy instillation go holly if I'm going for performance and tunability I should go MS. Also gotta take in mind that it's for a turbo build just wanna get the best for the money really willing to spend more on the harness than anything.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:37 AM
Teching In

do you home work and compare each system to each others to suttle your mind
Old 02-03-2016, 09:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

I bought the Holley system. One of my deciding factors is that I'm not familiar with tuning and the tuner that has been doing the programming on my car really likes Holley. So if you do your own tuning then I would look at the instruction manuals for both units and see which one you feel comfortable with. If you have somebody else do the tuning, maybe ask them which one they would recommend. Either system looks awesome though so you're not going to be unhappy either way I'm sure.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys, I think I am just going to end up going with the ms3 gold box seems to have everything the holly has at a better price.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Good choice.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Joshb19
so if I'm going for easy instillation go holly if I'm going for performance and tunability I should go MS. Also gotta take in mind that it's for a turbo build just wanna get the best for the money really willing to spend more on the harness than anything.
Not how it is at all, MS is cheaper but not as user friendly. They will both do most anything a hardcore setup would ever need. Neither is lacking in the performance dept. I went with Holley for ease of use and it's more refined than MS.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The Dominator also controls the 4l60e-4l80e trans does the MS Gold or is it an add on?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Default Koo MI

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
The Dominator also controls the 4l60e-4l80e trans does the MS Gold or is it an add on?
It's a small add on with a Microsquirt in addition to the Gold box.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know much about Mega Squirt, please tell me how and why its better than the likes of FAST XFi or Holley Dominator EFi systems? I feel the Dominator system specifically offers an all in one Control System capable of tuning the most advanced machines you could dream of building and offering Data Logging built in to boot.... Harnesses, Sensors, and Data Inputs to cover the needs of the most demanding Competitor... Please let me know cause FAST & Dominator EFi systems with Dual Wide Band O2 NTK sensors for added heat and all required harnesess are not cheap... yet I know what I will have with them....
Old 02-14-2016, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Does the MS Gold box have the option of DBW (1 or 2), dual WB O2s, flex fuel, injector end angle tunability based on RPM and load, auto trans control, PWM cooling fan control, boost control, nitrous control, and dozens of user definable inputs and outputs?

Andrew
Old 02-21-2016, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Does the MS Gold box have the option of DBW (1 or 2), dual WB O2s, flex fuel, injector end angle tunability based on RPM and load, auto trans control, PWM cooling fan control, boost control, nitrous control, and dozens of user definable inputs and outputs?

Andrew
[QUOTE=Project GatTagO;19148014]Does the MS Gold box have the option of DBW (1 or 2), dual WB O2s, flex fuel, injector end angle tunability based on RPM and load, auto trans control, PWM cooling fan control, boost control, nitrous control, and dozens of user definable inputs and outputs?
I recently toyed with the same issue for my turbo setup and went with the MS Gold and it does a ton. I'm not sure about the DBW and injector angle, but yes it will do two WBO2S and everything else including, 2 step, bump box, fan control, fuel pump, alt, control trans brake (microsquirt trans controller is seperate), traction control, etc, etc, the list goes on. Google some videos of Denmah using most of the features on his builds. I debated the Dominator system but upon calling them and getting a page long list of parts that added up to just under $4000, I opted for the Gold LSX plug n Play for $1250. Both systems are pretty user friendly, preference between one or the other usually is familiarity IMO.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have only used Big Stuff 3 systems up till now. I built a S10 street car and was doing so on a budget. I went with the Ms3 gold box and Microsqurit Trans controller from Efi Source. At a cost of 1500.00 for everything. The plug and play harness was good quality and i had the whole thing installed and running a day. I would say its every bit as good as a BS3 for 1/3 the cost. Very simple to use the Tunerstudio software is very user friendly and layed out nice. They supplied me with a few base tunes that got me up and going for a Ls turbo. Tech support was also very good.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Lightbulb Flawed thinking..

Originally Posted by Joshb19
As mentioned, do a compare.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by autoaddictions
I have only used Big Stuff 3 systems up till now. I built a S10 street car and was doing so on a budget. I went with the Ms3 gold box and Microsqurit Trans controller from Efi Source. At a cost of 1500.00 for everything. The plug and play harness was good quality and i had the whole thing installed and running a day. I would say its every bit as good as a BS3 for 1/3 the cost. Very simple to use the Tunerstudio software is very user friendly and layed out nice. They supplied me with a few base tunes that got me up and going for a Ls turbo. Tech support was also very good.
So with the MS3 Bold Box LSX Plug and Play, did it plug into all of your sensors, or did have to wire into your original connectors? Were there any additional sensors you had to buy? Seems like a dumb question, but this allows you to completely toss the original ECU, and not have to deal with the VATS or any of that other gunk.

Quick Reply: Holly or MS?