Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible gas mileage from 02 ss

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible gas mileage from 02 ss

I dd an 02 as last summer/fall for a few weeks and I would get about 9-10 mpg with some spirited driving, but still 10- 12 driving like a grandma. I thought maybe 16/17 would have been more reasonable but alas I tend to be wrong often times

It's an A4 with a shift kit &3.73 gears, has a 93 mm fast intake, mild cam, stock heads, mid length headers. Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2016, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

93mm fast? Or 92? Lol.. anyways.. are u tuned? Running catless? Have u did a fuel system clean? Tune up maybe..
Old 02-11-2016, 04:33 AM
11 Second Club

Is that around town, highway, or combined?

When I was cammed, I'd get between 15-16 in the city and between 27-28mpg on the highway with 2.73 gears. With 3.42's I got 16-17 city and 25-26 highway, but rarely was there a time that I could go an entire tank full without being wot at least 3-4 times. This was with a 3600 stall and a 233/239 cam, so I'd say you have something going on.

I'd scan for codes, check the obvious tune up things, fuel filter, and maybe your tune. Is it throwing any codes or missing at all? Does it smell rich?
Old 02-11-2016, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

There's a tune/diagnostic forum for these types of issues.....
Old 02-11-2016, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have your fuel system cleaned. Get a shop to inject fuel cleaner at the rail. They often use a pressurized can with some pretty aggressive cleaner that you physically can't put into your gas tank . EDIT: The fuel injector cleaner that I spoke of DOES NOT get injected into the Schrader valve on the rail as I previously stated. The fuel line connecting to the rail (feed side) is disconnected and the fuel pump is disabled. The cleaner is NAPA Pro Cleen. You hook it up, ensure the fuel pump is disabled, and start the car off of the Pro Cleen which injects at enough PSI to keep the car running. My buddy John is an ASE Master Tech with 20 years experience and he uses the service on used vehicles that he buys or on people's cars that he works on that have higher mileage.

Change the fuel filter. Dump BG 44k fuel cleaner in the tank. Check your plugs / wires. Clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and clean the TB with something like Seafoam Deep Creep. Seafoam your engine and do an oil change. Also, check your PCV and EGR if your car still has one.

If nothing changes after that you might have a tune issue or other issue. Does your exhaust have cats? Does the car rev cleanly?

You didn't mention the car's mileage, exhaust, who tuned it, or how recently it has gotten serviced with filters, plugs, wires, etc.

Last edited by JosephIV; 02-11-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JosephIV
Have your fuel system cleaned. Get a shop to inject fuel cleaner at the rail. They often use a pressurized can with some pretty aggressive cleaner that you physically can't put into your gas tank . IIRC you attach a hose to the can and then attach the hose to the Schrader valve on the rail. Most people don't have the hose with fittings. My buddy John is an ASE Master Tech with 20 years experience and he uses the service on used vehicles that he buys or on people's cars that he works on that have higher mileage.

Change the fuel filter. Dump BG 44k fuel cleaner in the tank. Check your plugs / wires. Clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and clean the TB with something like Seafoam Deep Creep. Seafoam your engine and do an oil change. Also, check your PCV and EGR if your car still has one.

If nothing changes after that you might have a tune issue or other issue. Does your exhaust have cats? Does the car rev cleanly?

You didn't mention the car's mileage, exhaust, who tuned it, or how recently it has gotten serviced with filters, plugs, wires, etc.
I doubt he has EGR with an 02 but I agree about the seafoam. You could probably get away with putting it in your fuel system and letting it do its magic. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an 02 procharged A4 vette with 3.42 running fast 102LXR and I ave about 10mpg around town and about 20 mpg on hwy with a tune and that's with colder TR6 NGK plugs.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Teching In

It was a steady mix of highway and city driving. It did throw a code for the throttle position sensor once but that was only one time. the car has 90k, mid length headers, not sure who tuned it but the whole engine was rebuilt with some forged parts. It sounded like the previous owner wanted to get the most out of this car so maybe it's the tune. but if it's another problem then I'd like to fix it before I lay down cash for it and start tinkering with it more.

It's too cold for me to go taking stuff apart. it needs new rocker arms anyway, so I'll just go through it in the spring.

Last edited by MsDasnake; 02-17-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Here is the cam in it,54-412-1.
Lift: .522''/.529''
Duration: 265°/271°
Lobe Separation Angle: 114°
Old 02-18-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

My guess is, the tune SUCKS. I would go out on a limb, and unless you have really bad 02 sensors, and a miscalculated VE table, I would guess it is MAF raped, by someone who doesn't either know, or want to spend the time to tune correctly. It is probably set to go into PE too early as well. Can you post your tune?

I have been there. This is how my first tune started that I paid $400+ for.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Sounds like a **** tune. That's a mild cam. Any stall?
Old 02-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rpturbo
My guess is, the tune SUCKS. I would go out on a limb, and unless you have really bad 02 sensors, and a miscalculated VE table, I would guess it is MAF raped, by someone who doesn't either know, or want to spend the time to tune correctly. It is probably set to go into PE too early as well. Can you post your tune?

Unfortunately I don't know how to look up the tune, but I'll look into it! I'll probably get it retuned after I do the heads and headers
Old 02-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Sounds like a **** tune. That's a mild cam. Any stall?
Nope, stock verter
Old 02-20-2016, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rpturbo

What does "PE" mean?
Old 02-20-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Power enrichment. Running down the road, you run about 14.7:1 air to fuel ratio. Power enrichment runs more fuel for power when you need it

Quick Reply: Horrible gas mileage from 02 ss