Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low voltage...still

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low voltage...still

What's up guys, I have a 99 f body. My car Keeps going to low voltage a few min after start up. Starts and it's like 13.5ish volts. Then drops down to 12ish. Today it ate a new alternator. It was a Napa high output 220amp. The ls1 alternator simply wouldn't supply the amp draw. Two fans at 25 amps a piece. Twin pumps at 15-17 a piece and a third fan which is similar to 15-25amps(trans cooler fan). I have the tick performance battery relocation kit. I have tried a factory truck 145 amp alternator and same thing. I just put a new pig tail on the alt and still the same thing happening. I have 2 gauge grounds from block to frame. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue. It's causing fuel pressure drop and can't tune the car correctly cause of it.

I looked in DC power alternators but before I buy one cause they are pricy, is there anything I'm missing here? Also the truck alternator I got from the junk yard has 2 wires on the plug that was cut. I told them kg3. But just wanna make sure it's a truck 145 amp and not a 105. Any info would be a huge help
Old 07-28-2016, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Volt drop tests across all connections, done?
Old 07-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
I havent tested all of them. But i can tell everything is loising voltage. fuel pressure isnt up. when you first crank the car i have about 55psi and after a little bit it drops to 49-50 and hangs there around 12.3 volts. the ls1 alternator was worse. i was having voltage dip into the low 11s wide open throttle. we immediately stopped tuning. Switched to the napa one, stayed in the lows 12's and just stopped working.

Whats the best way to test for this situation?
Old 08-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
I have checked and at HOT idle the alternator is producing about 13.6-13.7 volts. now at my fuse box at the front of the car i have 12.8-13.0 volts with both fans running. It seems it is dropping over half of volt of the course of the long wire to the rear of the car. Is this normal? I have about 13.3ish volts at the battery in the trunk and the fuse box is at the end of the circuit coming off of the starter.

I have a tick battery relocation kit. Has anyone else had this issue before? Is this normal?
Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You may need to run a bigger wire from the alternator to the fuse box, or build you own fuse and relay box to run your high power pumps and cooling fans.
I had a similar problem on my (custom) car and now run a 4Gauge wire from the alternator to a 150 Amp fuse and then again with 4Gauge to both the battery and main fuse box.

Since your alternator is putting out 13.6 volts, it is working perfectly. The voltage losses are due to too-small wiring.

I'm sure its a pain to rewire a stock car like that, but the wiring "suggestions" for adding huge amplifiers/speakers might give you clues on how to do it.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrvedit
You may need to run a bigger wire from the alternator to the fuse box, or build you own fuse and relay box to run your high power pumps and cooling fans.
I had a similar problem on my (custom) car and now run a 4Gauge wire from the alternator to a 150 Amp fuse and then again with 4Gauge to both the battery and main fuse box.

Since your alternator is putting out 13.6 volts, it is working perfectly. The voltage losses are due to too-small wiring.

I'm sure its a pain to rewire a stock car like that, but the wiring "suggestions" for adding huge amplifiers/speakers might give you clues on how to do it.
I fixed the issue today! It holds voltage fine now. I used the tick performance battery relocation kit which at this points i wish i had not. They supply a 20 ft 4 gauge cable from the alt to the trunk of the car. With my derale fans, (25 amps each) two 450s at 16 amps a piece. plus a trans cooler and fan under the car. plus your normal accesrires over a long run WILL drop voltage...in my case is was significant. I now have 1/0 AWT welding cable from battery to disconnect switch, disconnect to starter. After that i ran 2 gauge to alt and 2 gauge to fuse box. I now have .1-.2 AT MOST at full operating temp voltage drop with everything running. i have not seen below 13.5 volts. the car actually starts stronger and better.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Glad to hear that the bigger gauge cables solved your problem.
The "Tick Performance Battery Relocation Kit" sounds like a quality product.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Glad to hear that the bigger gauge cables solved your problem.
The "Tick Performance Battery Relocation Kit" sounds like a quality product.
I Wasn't knocking the "quality" of the kit but just saying that it is insufficient for high amp draw.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Guess it's..

Originally Posted by Hypforlife32
I Wasn't knocking the "quality" of the kit but just saying that it is insufficient for high amp draw.
Worth looking into a product before buying it, only to find it wasn't intended to do what was expected of it....
We've all BTDT!
Old 08-15-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might check that all of the "grounds" are in agreement
and not being jacked apart by return currents and some
excess resistance. Battery, block and chassis sheet
metal all should be within maybe 100mV at full accessory
load. If the block ground (where the alt gets its reference)
and battery are not the same then you can lose voltage
at the battery and at the loads. Anything that returns
current to the sheet metal ground can similarly suffer
when chassis tie points get crusty. Block to firewall straps
seem to get hurt, loose or forgotten a lot. And everything
corrodes eventually.

Quick Reply: Low voltage...still