Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle tuning unusual air volume

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 496 Likes on 346 Posts

Default idle tuning unusual air volume

I am trying to nail down some idle quirks in a tune on a 4.8l. It has a sidemount whipple blowing through a large fmic. This means a huge volume of air is AFTER the throttle body. The current issues are going lean after blipping the throttle at idle, and cold weather, cold engine startup flare dropping down to almost killing the idle. I thought I had this under control during the summer, but with 60* lower temps I'm not so sure. I have "trial and error" tuned some of the problems, but I don't know how to properly tune for the delay between what the IAC is trying to do vs what is happening.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Where is your throttle in that system?
Do you have a blow off valve to purge the pipes when you let off?
Old 12-12-2016, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

The throttle is on the blower inlet, as is customary with any PD blower, hence no need for a BOV. It goes air filter-TB-blower-piping-FMIC-piping-MAF-piping-intake manifold. The MAF is still there for little other than the built-in IAT. We had to remove any silicone elbows and use hard pipe, as the elbows would suck closed under vacuum. The idle tuning was never a problem before adding the FMIC, so the issue has to relate to the extra volume of air behind the TB. If (when) I get this figured out I will post whatever fix I find.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

have you tried messing with the throttle decay values to soften the stumble ?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by subeone
have you tried messing with the throttle decay values to soften the stumble ?
I have adjusted the decay, delay, and just about every other IAC, fuel, or spark table involved. The problem is that I can get everything sorted except cold engine cold start. If I make enough changes to get a quick fire and good idle when dead cold, I get problems elsewhere. I'm starting to look into injector voltage offsets and potentially transient fueling. I just recently ran across what may or may not be legit voltage offset data on these 8.1 marine injectors, and the offsets at lower voltages are quite a bit higher than what I would have guessed based on other injectors I have tuned. None of this presented much of an issue until the weather dipped below 40F.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

There could be a possibility of a fuel boiling/evap issue since the problem arose with a colder aircharge. A.k.a. transient as you proposed.. maybe fiddle the evap tables where the transient occurs?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

That's a weird setup. It's PD that feed an intake manifold? On centris you get the TB last in line controlling what's happening.

Got any logs and your tune?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
That's a weird setup. It's PD that feed an intake manifold? On centris you get the TB last in line controlling what's happening.

Got any logs and your tune?
There are only a handful of people who have tried an A/A FMIC with a PD blower. One of the bigger shops that did it used a second throttle blade at the intake manifold to avoid some of these problems. I refuse to believe I can't figure this out. The problem with cold engine, cold start tuning is that you can't log anything of use in those first few seconds. If you key on the engine long enough for the scanner to connect, it gives time for the fuel pressure to change slightly from just jumping in and starting the vehicle like any normal person would do. I have several variations of the tune that work in other conditions, so if I can't get this figured out I will post whichever one works best otherwise.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

It turns out that in weather under 40*F, the whippled 4.8 needs several of the tables related to cold start cranking to be much closer to what you would expect from a 5.7 than a 4.8. I used some of the cold values from my turboed GTO as a starting point instead of stock 4.8 values, and ended up with a starting point I could work with. I still have a bit of tweaking to do on the transient stuff, but it now fires up with little flare, and settles into a proper idle in 30* weather. I now need to log the rest of the tune to make sure the new voltage offsets I found for the injectors haven't skewed anything under load.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

That's good.

That is an interesting setup tho. Got any pics?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

That's good.

That is an interesting setup tho. Got any pics?

My dad overcut the grill and bumper guard for the intercooler, and one of the radiator hoses needed to be rerouted as of these initial pics.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:47 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Was a plate style intercooler with an air-to-water charge cooler not feasible? Or air-to-air heat exchanger? That's how they run those PDs from the factory.

It's a cool setup tho.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Was a plate style intercooler with an air-to-water charge cooler not feasible? Or air-to-air heat exchanger? That's how they run those PDs from the factory.

It's a cool setup tho.
14 Years ago the options were more limited. Nowdays, we just want to see what if.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love me a quick silverado
Old 12-18-2016, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

thats a cool truck. lets see pops doing a burnout
Old 12-18-2016, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by truckdoug
thats a cool truck. lets see pops doing a burnout
The auburn posi wore out its cones years ago. One wheel peels just aren't as cool. He keeps talking about replacing the diff, but doesn't want to lay out the cash. In another case of "if I knew then what I know now" I would have installed a rebuildable limited slip instead of the auburn way back when.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

you can rebuild those, but it's usually not worth the effort to machine the case halves and come up with the correct spacers and whatnot.

Quick Reply: idle tuning unusual air volume