Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oppions on Hptuners and Holley Efi systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oppions on Hptuners and Holley Efi systems

I have a forged 383 turbo Gen1 sbc w/ Gen3 ecu coil over plug efi system. I originally went with Hp tuners.
I never tuneda efi system before so its been a battle. But Ive learned a bit .Enough it will idle warm up and start backup cold or warm.
I spent allot of money on this motor so I dont want to damage it. Last moth I deiced I would bring it to a reputable shop with a dyno to get a base tune. The shop says 1000.00$ plus. Its a bit higher than other prices I read but if thats what it takes then .
I started looking into holley Efi systems. Right now there 20% off. For few hundred dollars more I can get a holley efi ecu thats self learning. It will always adapt to my changes. It seems like the smart thing to do.
Anyone else use holley efi ecu? Any thoughts?
Old 12-19-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

For comparison, Livernois Motorsports in Detroit also charges $1000+ for a dyno tune.
The "plus" is a reminder that if your fuel system, injectors, intake, cooling, etc don't have the capacity to extract the full potential of the engine, those have to be addressed.

I have no personal experience with the Holley system, although I am considering it too.
Generally self-learning systems let you get started and extract maybe 90% of the power. To get the full 100% you really need a dyno tune; this is probably even more true with a turbo setup. Just my opinion.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

You have to remember the only self learning portion is fuel tables, You still have to set everything else yourself, There are quite a few people that will help you on this forum the holley forum and yellowbullet. I have the holley system myself but haven't got the truck done yet so I only know what I have read. If you find a global file (tune file) that closely matches your setup...as in same make of engine that is close to the same size and matches your induction ( N.A /turbo/supercharged) and it should give you a good starting point.

If you haven't downloaded the software yet you would do that and get yourself familiar with it and see if looks like something you'll understand and feel comfortable with.

Edit: just opened the holley software and there is a global file for a 383-434ci turbocharged gas 30psi Gas...Something like that should get you going in the right direction.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 12-19-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you do decide to go Holley take the 200 dollar tuning class. You will never go back to a manual tuner.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
You have to remember the only self learning portion is fuel tables, You still have to set everything else yourself, There are quite a few people that will help you on this forum the holley forum and yellowbullet. I have the holley system myself but haven't got the truck done yet so I only know what I have read. If you find a global file (tune file) that closely matches your setup...as in same make of engine that is close to the same size and matches your induction ( N.A /turbo/supercharged) and it should give you a good starting point.

If you haven't downloaded the software yet you would do that and get yourself familiar with it and see if looks like something you'll understand and feel comfortable with.

Edit: just opened the holley software and there is a global file for a 383-434ci turbocharged gas 30psi Gas...Something like that should get you going in the right direction.
This is the only part im having problems with in HP tuners . I dont want to grenade an engine Ive been working on 2 plus years.
I know enough to setup a base startup . I use HP tuners now.
Originally Posted by mrvedit
For comparison, Livernois Motorsports in Detroit also charges $1000+ for a dyno tune.
The "plus" is a reminder that if your fuel system, injectors, intake, cooling, etc don't have the capacity to extract the full potential of the engine, those have to be addressed.

I have no personal experience with the Holley system, although I am considering it too.
Generally self-learning systems let you get started and extract maybe 90% of the power. To get the full 100% you really need a dyno tune; this is probably even more true with a turbo setup. Just my opinion.
The 1000$ quote isnt outrageous he should be paid for his work but if my money could be spent wiser then..
All the testimonies (not commercials) ive read the holley systems get you you more like 98% of a dyno tune. Thats the attraction of the self learn.
I dont drag race or own a "racecar" this engines in my truck its mostly used for towing and trails. So im not concerned with peak power out put or even HP numbers . None the less I have a aeromotive 355 lph pump with AN8 feed with a AN6 return . 82lb SD injectors so I have 1000hp worth of fuel. I dont need more then that.

Here is my build if anyone wants to reference it . Here is something I never though of. WHat do those of you that have 4x4s do .Does the holey have 4x4 low transmission control?
http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...nd-his-L31-GMC

Last edited by mrich0908; 12-21-2016 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I have hptuners and i spent alot of hours learning. There is a ton to learn. If i was to do it over i would go with holley or fast setup. To me it is so nice that they use a wideband 02 sensor to constantly adjust fueling and they are easier to learn. Everytime i make a change on my motor i have to go a drive and log so i can adjust my fueling which ends up taking a half a day. I am swapping to a 6.0 in the spring so i think i will sell the hp tuners and go with a new system.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FiTech is coming out with their own "self-learning" kit sometime in the 1st quarter of 2017. The base harness comes with harness, ecu, 1 wideband O2 sensor, and the handheld programmer for around $795. Not sure on the capabilities of the programmer, though I think it will be in-line with their other EFI kits. I know you are asking specifically asking about HP Tuners and Holley, but I thought I would throw them in the mix.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrich0908

All the testimonies (not commercials) ive read the holley systems get you you more like 98% of a dyno tune. Thats the attraction of the self learn.
Its already been mentioned that all holley "self learns" is the fuel and you have to set it to that. You still have to set the all the tables correctly for it to run. We get vehicles brought to us all the time where someone bought a holley and thought they could just load a file in it and be done, it doesnt work that way.

Can you buy holley and tune it yourself, absolutely BUT your going to have to have some tuning knowledge and be willing to spend the time to learn what your doing. Your not going to just install it and be all done in one day.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I have hptuners and i spent alot of hours learning. There is a ton to learn. If i was to do it over i would go with holley or fast setup. To me it is so nice that they use a wideband 02 sensor to constantly adjust fueling and they are easier to learn. Everytime i make a change on my motor i have to go a drive and log so i can adjust my fueling which ends up taking a half a day. I am swapping to a 6.0 in the spring so i think i will sell the hp tuners and go with a new system.
My biggest concern is. I dont drag race so I dont need all the inputs outputs ect. I need to use the dominator to have 4l60e controls .I was on the fence about the Holley HP efi ecu I was thinking that was overkill . Now I found out I need the dominator. Geting the dominator for something that will never see race time just seems like allot. When I need so much more still IE locker roll cage rear end hardened axles. This would realistically take all my truck money and I wont be able to get anything for a while.
On the other hand I have no time to drive and tune my ride , I dont want to fork all that money over to some one else if the money could be spent wise. And what if I do , do more with the truck one day Ill be kicking my self in the ***.
Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Its already been mentioned that all holley "self learns" is the fuel and you have to set it to that. You still have to set the all the tables correctly for it to run. We get vehicles brought to us all the time where someone bought a holley and thought they could just load a file in it and be done, it doesnt work that way.

Can you buy holley and tune it yourself, absolutely BUT your going to have to have some tuning knowledge and be willing to spend the time to learn what your doing. Your not going to just install it and be all done in one day.
I understand this I never thought that. Besides those last few degrees of spark what more is there? VE tables are the biggest thing. I never expected to hit a button and be done with it.
I use HP tuners now . Ive built my own base tune. Im not clue less . As I wrote before ....
Originally Posted by Sube
FiTech is coming out with their own "self-learning" kit sometime in the 1st quarter of 2017. The base harness comes with harness, ecu, 1 wideband O2 sensor, and the handheld programmer for around $795. Not sure on the capabilities of the programmer, though I think it will be in-line with their other EFI kits. I know you are asking specifically asking about HP Tuners and Holley, but I thought I would throw them in the mix.
Thanks, by that time ill most likely be tuned. Holley has 20%going on untill dec31 thats why Iwas asking. Thats a few bucks off .
Old 12-21-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If you don't plan on changing the engine much later, then just get a professional tune of your stock PCM and be done with it.
Many of the people here enjoy learning to tune (or are pros at it) and/or are constantly making changes to the engines/cars which then requires retuning.
Since you have HPT, you can easily make changes to the trans shift point and in other non-critical areas.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
If you don't plan on changing the engine much later, then just get a professional tune of your stock PCM and be done with it.
Many of the people here enjoy learning to tune (or are pros at it) and/or are constantly making changes to the engines/cars which then requires retuning.
Since you have HPT, you can easily make changes to the trans shift point and in other non-critical areas.
I agree thats where im leaning .
I think the holley looks like a great system for someone who is serious in what ever off road sport they do but for they guy who drives his "ride" on the weekend thats not looking for max HP /trap speeds its just not for them. Unless money is no object then have at it .
Considering I have allot I need to purchase still I should focus on other aspects like strengthening my rear end and a locker.
Thank all for your opinions.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holley has 20% off!? hmmm
Old 12-24-2016, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

To me it depends on application, If it's a vehicle that came with a LS based engine and have no need to data log or make changes to the tune often then the stock ecu would be a good option, But the Holley system does have the capability to do more in some areas than the stock ECU like data logging/Wide Band/Boost Control /fail safes and more.
In a swap application where you don't have gauges compatible with the stock ECU then Aftermarket=Holley is the way to go, With a display you can have Speedo/Odometer and Data log/monitor/control just about anything you can think of.

Quick Reply: Oppions on Hptuners and Holley Efi systems