Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Scan tool?

I'm looking for a cheap way to monitor some parameters to see if my TB needs some simple adjusting before I bring it to my tuner. Specifically IAC, Throttle position % and voltage if possible. I tried the Torque pro app and it has a PID for IAC and it's green to show it's available but it's not sending any data back, just reads 0 or 1. My IAC is new and I tried the app on my chevy van with the same results.

Basically I put in a NW throttle body in place of my FAST and it took care of all my idle hang issues. Only problem now is once in awhile it stalls when coming to a stop. Maybe 1 out of every 10 times. I did adjust the TB to 2% and reset to 0 but that's as far as I got. I do have an OBD2 USB connector if that helps at all.

Thought about HP tuners but not sure if I want to drop that kind of cash on something I may not even use much.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a ELM 327 cable on Amazon. The one I got came with a CD with over 10 scanner programs that will work with it. Some are crap and some are decent. I got a USB one for less than $20 and I think they are even cheaper now.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

I have that CD and checked the programs, was hopeful but didn't find anything that would monitor IAC.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:19 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Got an Android? Get Torque and a Bluetooth ODB2 adapter.

Cheap way to scan the car. I don't keep my laptop in the car or my HPT cable, so the bluetooh and phone work well if I need to read codes or see real-time information.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 433 Likes on 308 Posts

With the combo of idle hang issue, stalling coming to a stop, and the lack of IAC readout on your torque app, it sounds like you definitely have an IAC problem. I'm not sure why people keep recommending that you try what you already tried. My line of thinking is that your tuner should be able to verify this. If the IAC is a real problem, have one on hand new in box from the auto parts store. It takes about two minutes to replace it. If it is not a problem, return it for a refund. The other options involve spending enough money and having enough diagnostic/tuning skills to do it all yourself and not need someone to tune for you.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

IAC valve is new, im just not sure if i need to open the TB more and how much without something to show IAC counts. Im guessing the torque app is not working right since it doesnt read IACs for either of my chevy cars.

Jake..does your torque app read IAC? Mine shows the PID green but no data.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Super Hulk Smash

It does. But I think I had to download the GM enhancements file for the app for it to work.

You know, I didn't look at your post all the way through. I apologize.

And the stalling out with the NW 102 sounds pretty normal. You may need more base airflow, a change to your IAC effective area table, and more follower airflow. I also ended up drilling a hole in mine.

And you'll use HPTuners all the time. I'm always tweaking my car.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts

You CAN buy just the vcm scanner from HP Tuners and not the entire vcm suite. It is cheaper and can scan a multitude of vehicles esp with all the new updates. They have standard and Pro in it also. It runs $350 and $500.
Stilk need a laptop for the most part. Your local auto parts store has quite the large selection as well, but save for a nemesys or similar setup which are money thats prob your best option. Honestly just buying the scanner seems a waste, and in the 9 years ive been selling HPT ive never sold just the scanner. It is an option though.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
It does. But I think I had to download the GM enhancements file for the app for it to work.

You know, I didn't look at your post all the way through. I apologize.

And the stalling out with the NW 102 sounds pretty normal. You may need more base airflow, a change to your IAC effective area table, and more follower airflow. I also ended up drilling a hole in mine.

And you'll use HPTuners all the time. I'm always tweaking my car.
No problem, I am guilty of the same. I did download the GM enhancements. Not sure what the deal is.

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
You CAN buy just the vcm scanner from HP Tuners and not the entire vcm suite. It is cheaper and can scan a multitude of vehicles esp with all the new updates. They have standard and Pro in it also. It runs $350 and $500.
Stilk need a laptop for the most part. Your local auto parts store has quite the large selection as well, but save for a nemesys or similar setup which are money thats prob your best option. Honestly just buying the scanner seems a waste, and in the 9 years ive been selling HPT ive never sold just the scanner. It is an option though.
So what exactly is the difference between the different versions. You have pro listed on your site for $650 but im sure thats a different version. Sorry ive never looked into hp tuners so I have no idea. I already have a laptop so no problem there.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The Pro has 2 main differences from the STD.
1. a/d inputs. meaning it can be configured to log external external sensors like any wideband sensor, external fuel pressure, boost, knock, pyrometer etc. Not only can you log it but you can also overlay it or add it to your scan chart so you can watch and save the info in real time vs everything else. Meaning you can see the afr vs rpm or mph and make changes accordingly.
2. black box data logging. meaning you can configure your scanner to log a certain number of parameters and then hit the record button on the interface with no computer hooked up, and it will save your log. you can then download it later to your laptop

Otherwise they both do the same thing.

The vcm scanners would just scan. you can scan and save logs on unlimited vehicles and not need any credits. the credits are only for tuning.

The VCM suite which is what we have listed will scan AND tune. It comes with enough credits to do 4 vehicles (normally). extra credits are available at any time.

The STD vcm suite
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/hp-tuners-mpvi-gm-standard-interface/?osCsid=6a866f27100d467577b8b8e26eda8529

The PRO vcm suite
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/hp-tuners-mpvi-gm-professional-interface/
Old 04-15-2017, 06:46 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Get the Pro. You may think you'll never need it. And then one day, you'll want to install a wideband. Because you do something to the car. And instead of paying someone to retune your car, you plug in your wideband and run with it. The Standard also supports Widebands through things like the A/C port for power. But it's a little more involved and not always as accurate.

Or get a Roadrunner PCM and EFI Live.

If I ever get into tuning, I would run that so I can play with every single element in the tune in real time.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Ive used the std interface for many years without an issue. You can use either they will be fine. Sometimes having a wideband attached to your interface while driving and having a tailpipe sniffer on the car at the same time is a recipe for disaster.
Dont get me wrong youll need a wideband to tune wot properly, but doing it on a dyno is ALOT safer. and less issues on your paint and wires sticking out of your car.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Super Hulk Smash

That's what the drag strip is for.

And that's another reason to do the pro. Datalogging with the wideband without the laptop.

Since you can't have a laptop in the car on a pass. But you can run your datalogger...
Old 04-15-2017, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info tech!

Jake...what OBD2 bluetooth are you using?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JakeFusion or BrntWS6

I have Torque pro and I have searched for the GM enhancements you have talked about to read IAC.. I can't find anything. Could either of you point me in the right direction?

Quick Reply: Scan tool?