PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on which tune... Frost Hypertech?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question on which tune... Frost Hypertech?

Hello, I had first considered getting a HyperTech or Diablosport tuner to alter the factory settings on my 2001 Trans Am which is 100% stock.
Even though I love everything about the car and the power is great I would like to reduce cooling temperatures. I don't want to worry about flipping the switch (SLP fan switch) and in order to be on top of it I would have to run an app and look at the cooling temperatures via the OBD reader, which I don't want to do on a continual basis.

I know Frost is on point 100% from everything I've read but I really don't need more than a cooling fan change. If I get from Frost I'm going to get a remanufactured PCM with the "Frost Tune" because what the hell is the point of going to him and just getting my fans done??😁

My other option is to just connect an Intune I2 or Max Energy and reset the fan ... maybe I'll try a canned tune. My driving is mostly cruising with my family and stomping on it at least 1-2 times a week. II'll be adding a 180 thermostat, a transmission cooler, and relocating the power steering cooler for longevity, as well as installing a higher cap finned rear end cover. I'm not racing the car every Friday.

My question is for anyone that has had a Frost Tune and anyone that has used Hypertech or Diablosport with a 100% stock exhaust -meaning catalytic converters - do any of these tunes make the car run rich? Anyone change the fan temps on the Hypertech/Diablosport and how did it work out?

Any opinions on which direction to take? Thanks!!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

Every option you have listed is an enormous waste of money for a bone stock car. Save your money for mods that will make a difference you can feel somewhere besides your wallet. I hate to sound negative about your ideas, but the hard truth is that you will not notice any difference in drivability, power, longevity, or cooling with any of what you have mentioned vs leaving the car stock. There may be a difference, but it will be too slight to notice.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

It's not possible to pick up 20 foot pounds TQ and increase longevity w lower temps/tuning?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Frost tune will get you the most return for the money spent. Or check out LSX Powertuning to see what he offers. Handhelds will make changes like fan settings or gear and tire size changes but their engine and transmission tuning changes generally suck and are too expensive compared to a good mail order tune. But have their full tune done, not just the fan settings.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kinda confused.

You ONLY want the car to run cooler...? I would say to just wire the fan to always on, so you don't "have to worry about it," but I am guessing you've already done that when you mentioned flipping a switch.

If you want to lower your engine temps, there are things you can do. You can get a radiator better at dispersing heat. You can use a different type of coolant, like a racing coolant I guess. You could add water wetter.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

I tried a Diablosport Intune. After the Diablo tune sounded like it was knocking in the upper rpms and only ran a 5.17 sec 0-60. Two hours earlier prior to the tune I ran a 4.99 0-60. There was no ability to do a simple fan recalibration so I sent it back. Looks like I may go with HP Tuners or a Hypertech hyperpac.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

You are keeping blinders on by thinking you are going to make big gains by lowering the temp of the motor. Plus, the fans are NOT what controls engine temps; the thermostat does that. The fans just ensure there is enough air going thru the radiator to keep it cool, which is why they are set up as they are. You can raise the temp by not running them enough by not sufficiently cooling the radiator, but running them more will not make it run cooler. The thermostat will close before it cools lower than the 'stat setting.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You are keeping blinders on by thinking you are going to make big gains by lowering the temp of the motor. Plus, the fans are NOT what controls engine temps; the thermostat does that. The fans just ensure there is enough air going thru the radiator to keep it cool, which is why they are set up as they are. You can raise the temp by not running them enough by not sufficiently cooling the radiator, but running them more will not make it run cooler. The thermostat will close before it cools lower than the 'stat setting.
I don't think I'm going to make big power with lower coolant temps. Read my first post
Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

OK, but the rest of the post stands. You are going with a 180* thermostat. That alone should govern engine temperature. The fans are there to ensure the cooling takes place.
What is the point of lowering the temp? Your fuel economy will drop off due to less thermal efficiency, and power change will be negligible.

Quick Reply: Question on which tune... Frost Hypertech?